How to get low battery SG up?

kaipo_boy
kaipo_boy Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
I have a small string of Interstate GC2 6v x4. 3 of them had SG of between 1.270 and 1.290 after my first EQ (they are about 2 months old). 1 had consistently low readings of nearer 1.240-1.250 on one of the batteries so I figured costco had 1 older battery in the batch that had been sitting there awhile. So I just took it back last week and exchanged it for a new one.

When I got it home, the SG of the new battery indicated it was near 60-70% SOC but I have no way of charging a lone 6v battery; so just wired it into the string with the other 3 and have been using it like that for a week.

The string seems to be behaving noticeably better as the voltage readings seem to be holding up longer overnight. However, last night I took an SG reading on the new battery and it was near 1.220-1.230 (the bank was not at float but it was close, the other batteries were near 1.280 ish. So this morning I ran an EQ for 2 hours and the new battery came up to 1.240ish; so I ran it 2 more hours on EQ and it came up to 1.245-1.250 on all 3 cells. However, now when I check my other batteries they are all near 1.290-1.300.

My gut tells me it needs longer EQ on that one battery but I have no way to do it without involving the other 3 batteries too... it appears (other than taking it off and taking it back) my only options are to run it like that, or else run another EQ cycle tomorrow and it sounds like it will need at least 2 or 3 more hours... but I don't want to subject the other batteries to that. I was careful to watch temps and battery temp never exceeded 84 F. Ambient is closer to 95F today.

What would you guys do?

Comments

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Well it stands to reason that if you overcharge the rest of the pack long enough it will come up. But do you really wanna do that?

How bout hacking together a crude charger from an adjustable DC to Dc converter ($5 ebay one)?
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    One thing to keep in mind is that it may take 50 cycles before a new battery behaves normally. In other words, it may take many EQ cycles before the new battery gets to where you want it to be. Your old batteries (2 months old) are already at least 50 cycles ahead of your new battery.

What would I do? If you can isolate the new battery and have a spare solar panel and spare time, you can hook up the spare panel directly to the battery. Watch it carefully... you don't want to boil it dry. Don't try to get the SG all the way up in one cycle... as I mentioned, it may take many cycles. Of course, while you are doing this, your system is inoperable :cry:

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • kaipo_boy
    vtmaps wrote: »
    One thing to keep in mind is that it may take 50 cycles before a new battery behaves normally. In other words, it may take many EQ cycles before the new battery gets to where you want it to be. Your old batteries (2 months old) are already at least 50 cycles ahead of your new battery.

What would I do? If you can isolate the new battery and have a spare solar panel and spare time, you can hook up the spare panel directly to the battery. Watch it carefully... you don't want to boil it dry. Don't try to get the SG all the way up in one cycle... as I mentioned, it may take many cycles. Of course, while you are doing this, your system is inoperable :cry:

--vtMaps

Hmmmm, you know what they say. A little knowledge.....
    I actually do have a spare panel, but I think it runs at near 35v in full sun... let me check zoneblue's suggestion.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Get some 6 volt brake lamp bulbs from the autoparts store. And install some spring clips and wiring each bulb.

When the sun is up, clip a bulb on each "high sg" battery. And do not clip a bulb on the "low sg" battery(ies). The brake lights will "bypass" current around the fully charged batteries and put 2-4 amps into the low SG battery.

Note, when connecting the clips, wear a face shield/cover the battery cells so that a spark will not light any hydrogen gas (I like to use a fan to blow gasses away when making/breaking electrical connections).

You can remove the bulbs after the sun sets--Although, you can leave them on even at night--They will discharge the "high sg" batteries down to the low SG batteries. Then the batteries will all be "matched" level of discharge--And the next day's sun will recharge all of them together.

Of course, don't forget the lamps--If left on too long, you can create more unbalanced batteries.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    You can balance all batteries by completely disconnecting the bank from the cc, and inverter.
    Allow 12 hours to have all batteries to equalize to DOD equalization no matter what that percentage is.
    After equalization plug the cc back into the bank, do not plug the inverter in until after bulk and float charge are complete.
    Then you are ready to rock and roll
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can live with out electric for a while, I'd rewire your bank to put all the batteries in parallel for 24 hours or so, this should allow the low battery to "catch up" being pulled up by the other batteries. In addition the other batteries will be drained by the low battery. This should get you into the ball park of equalizing them as a group with out boiling out having to repeatedly charging the full batteries. This might be what SolarPowered is suggesting, but we don't know what voltage your system is, it will only bring up / equalize across the cells if you have a parallel system.

Another option is to pull the battery and take it to where you bought it or some auto part stores shore side, and have them charge it, it will often be a 'hot charge' but it should help bring up the SG. Let whom ever is doing the charging know it's a deep cycle, some, a few will have chargers designed for deep cycle batteries.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Had a situation where one battery out of 6 had significantly lower SG. Ran a battery charger off the inverter while the sun was shining, wired a car headlight in series to limit current (charger was 6 volt while battery was 2 volt) to put extra charge in that one battery. Took a number of days to get the SG up, and from the beginning of this process, one of the other batteries had high SG. Will go with BB's suggestion of a load on that single high SG battery to bring it down. Feel foolish I hadn't thought of that.
    The spread in SG took place over Winter when I wasn't keeping close tabs on things. Several EQ cycles did not change anything, thus the alternative, heavy handed approaches.
  • kaipo_boy
    Excellent suggestions, all! Thanks BB, you are a gem. I'll try that one first, if I can find some 6v brake lamps... haven't looked for any of those in decades, not since the last time I worked on an air cooled VW! Photowit, your suggestion also is interesting, I'll keep it as a backup plan as well. Thank you everyone.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    This might be what SolarPowered is suggesting, but we don't know what voltage your system is, it will only bring up / equalize across the cells if you have a parallel system.

Yes you are correct sir. I should of stated that they have to be broken down to each cell, and paralleled.
    This is the best way to do it with old or new batteries for equalizing, it doesn't all ways mean it will maximize SOC 100%.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that sure is a colorful range of possibilities there!
    kaipo_boy wrote: »
    actually do have a spare panel, but I think it runs at near 35v in full sun

Thats ok, PV is a current source, the voltage will just slip down the IV curve to the match the battery.

1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• ZoNiE
    ZoNiE Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I have a vintage Sears Craftsman car battery charger that has 6V option. You may be able to find one on CL. Worth a shot.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    kaipo_boy wrote: »
    I'll try that one first, if I can find some 6v brake lamps... haven't looked for any of those in decades.
    Doesn't have to be 6 volt bulbs, a 12 volt bulb will work, just will run cooler and take longer to do the job - - - unless you use a headlight bulb.

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    ZoNiE wrote: »
    I have a vintage Sears Craftsman car battery charger that has 6V option. You may be able to find one on CL. Worth a shot.

You may be able to use a 12 volt charger. Many chargers will not charge a battery that is too far below nominal voltage, but some chargers have a "dead battery" option. This means that a 12 volt charger will try to charge a "dead" battery that is at only 6 volts.

Of course, you must monitor the situation to avoid overheating or boiling the battery dry.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i