Connecting 2 different types of battery banks

Options
Terrang
Terrang Registered Users Posts: 12
is it possible to run 2 different type of battery banks lets say for example:
4 12V200ah in series (This would be on 1 solar array+controller)
4 12v200ah in parallel (Would be on another solar array+controller)

Can i connect these with a combiner box then to an inverter so that i can take advantage of both high amps and high volts?
Or is it not recommended to use multiple battery configurations?

Is it better to have higher amp hours from the battery bank or higher voltage?

Comments

• Stix
    Stix Solar Expert Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Options
    I am not sure I am understanding your question. The voltages would be different. One bank would be 12v 800AH other would be 48v 200AH. You can't hook the 2 together to the same inverter as its either 12v or 48 volts not both.. Unless I am misunderstanding you.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Terrang wrote: »

Can i connect these with a combiner box then to my inverter so that i can draw from both sets?
    Or is it not recommended to use multiple battery configurations?

Even if you have battery banks of the same voltage, once you connect them, it will be 1 battery bank
    Terrang wrote: »
    Is it better to have higher amp hours from the battery bank or higher voltage?

While there are reasons to have lower voltage, cheaper inverters, DC loads. System run 'easier' at higher voltages, Higher voltage means less amps running through wires so smaller wire gauges needed. MPPT Charge controllers, can handle higher wattage arrays when used at higher voltages. Higher voltages also means less wiring and fuses for batteries in parallel and panels.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Terrang
    Terrang Registered Users Posts: 12
    Options
    Sorry i wasnt clear with my questions.
    I just thought maybe there was a way to use 2 different battery banks, 1 with a high voltage and 1 with high amps without using 2 separate systems.
    Thanks anyway for clearing everything up.