Xantex XW6848 enhanced Grid support settings with mppt 60-150 confusion

new2PV
new2PV Solar Expert Posts: 305 ✭✭
This grid support is really confusing to me. It says first of all that grid support volts are the battery volts grid support will start to work, and then it says if your using a mppt 60-150 to set this voltage above your equalization voltage 64 volts ex. What if I am not using equalization? Using sealed lead acid batteries with a float spec of 57.2 volts do I set it at or above the float voltage? What happens when it hits 57.1 does grid support stop? Does it keep going does it stop 1.5 volts below this settting? What happens when it stops ? Do we go back to grid? What if I have the built in charger disabled? Will the inverter stay on until the battery volts drop to LBCO? keeping the inverter tare on overnight?

Also it says I must Keep grid sell on and sell amps to 0 or it will waste 2-3kw energy a day????????Where is the 3kw of energy going?
XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sadly, I do not have grid, and have never looked up the settings.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Was there a manual with the inverter?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• new2PV
    I have the manual online I have been studying it for a while now, but it does not tell me everything in detail enough of what happens in specific order, maybe you can interpret it better than me.

http://41j5tc3akbrn3uezx5av0jj1bgm.w..._Rev-E_ENG.pdf
    XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• new2PV
    Thanks, Mike, but if you scroll through all those posts there are so many different answers for grid support voltage.so I still am a bit unsure. I guess I will have to do testing and see what works best. I really have no intention to sell, but I still need to adjust these settings best self consumption costs sharing with grid.
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    new2PV wrote: »
    This grid support is really confusing to me. ...

Also it says I must Keep grid sell on and sell amps to 0 or it will waste 2-3kw energy a day????????Where is the 3kw of energy going?

I too have the XW6048, in Grid-Tie mode, but it is an older model. The "waste 2-3kw energy a day" caught my eye, so I looked at the manual.

Quoting, "When using load shave, turning ON Sell and setting Sell Amps to 0.0 is a way to make the net power flow to the grid zero. If sell is not enabled, there will be a net purchase of as much as 2.0 - 3.0 kWh per day due to the current control loop not allowing any outgoing current. If you wish to further reduce grid draw using this function, enable sell mode even if you do not wish to export power and set Max Sell Amps to a value of 0."

I read that entire reference (three sentences) quoted as referring to the "Load Shave" function. The first sentence says "When using load shave ..." The "If sell is not enabled ..." in the second sentence I believe refers to the "setting Sell Amps to 0.0" in the first sentence. The first sentence explains "0.0 is a way to make the net power flow to the grid zero." I have not used the "Load Shave" function.

I do see that they've finally indicated that in order to use the XW6048 in sell mode a minimum battery bank of 440ah is recommended. For years, many people were misled by their confusing claim that I won't repeat.

For selling to the grid, I think Solar Guppy said 52.7 volts for "Sell" but you can search the forum for his posts, which I think in the "F49" thread postings he tried many times to explain the settings. This is just from memory, and I'll try to research the other settings and for the MPPT 60-150 charger.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Based on common English grammar, the Grid Support Voltage should be the battery voltage at which (that voltage and above) the XW starts to deliver AC power to the load in parallel with the grid source. In effect it would be GTI with the possible additional condition of no sellback to the grid.
    If the battery voltage drops below the GSV, then the XW would stop inverting and just charge or float the battery bank.
    If the grid goes away, the GSV battery voltage is not relevant.

The functionality is similar to but far less complex than the Generator Support option if present.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    If you have the MPPT 60-150 networked to the XW then set grid support on, no sell and set the GSV 4 volts higher than Your Bulk/Asborb voltage. The inverter will send any surplus to the loads and reduce the amount from the grid, and still allow a full battery charge cycle. Bulk/Absorb/Float. If you have the ComBox you can set the Grid-Support Enhanced feature. I have mine set this way but I have sell to grid on. Just adds to what I sell from my grid tied inverters and supplies load. If grid fails will automatically switch to inverting seamless. If you use the XW to charge set it to 2 stage, can leave the MPPT set to 3 Stage. It will go to grid support after Asborb and follow MPPT for the remainder of the time. I have only ran my XW charger a couple of times just to make sure it works and the setting limits are set correctly for the battery bank. Have Gen support set and wired but never have even tried it. Really like the system features, no noisy fans. Have to put my hand over exhaust vents with 100+F heat to see if it is running. Normal 800-1800W loads when drawing from batt's.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • new2PV
    After, some technical support from Schneider, they suggested 64 volts for enhanced grid support and float voltage for normal grid support. The mppt 60 takes control of the XW inverter and makes sure the batteries reached bulk and absorb and the batteries will remain on float if the solar power is enough to support the loads.