Hello friends. Looking for a kind soul to direct me to proper literature :)

ROTTEN
ROTTEN Registered Users Posts: 41 ✭✭
Hello everyone.
Ive read for years about solar and wind power and have only recently bought my first SMALL solar panel and DC water pump...

Here is what I bought.

Water Pump

Magicfly DC30A-1230 12V DC 2 Phase CPU Cooling Car Brushless Water Pump Waterproof Submersible

Specifications:
Sizes and weight:51x34x42.7; 50g
Driving method:Brushless, Permanent Magnetic , 2 phase
Pump material:ABS
Condition of use: Continuously
Fluids: Water, oil, gasoline, acid and alkali solution
Max working temp: 60 Celsius
Power consumption: 4.2W
Rated voltage: 12V DC
Voltage used: 12V dc
Max rated current: 350mA
Max flow rate: 4L/MIN(1.06G/MIN)
Max Static Head: 3m(9.7ft)
Noise: <40dB(most 35dB) Life span: More than 30000hrs
Power supply: Solar panel; DC electric source; battery

Package included:
1 x 12V DC water pump

Solar panel

Specification:
* Solar Panel: Mono-crystalline silicon 18V5W
* No-load voltage: 18-23VDC
* Load voltage: 18V
* Output current: 250-280mAh(0.2A-0.28A)
* Size: 320x120x5mm/12.6*4.7*0.19inch
* Weight:0.323kg/ 11.4oz

I was under the impression that since these 2 items are really close in power generating and power consuming that I could just
plug the pump directly to the solar panel and it will run the pump... +/- to the pumps ratings.

But to my dismay... after connecting them on a sunny day, and even after shading the panel a lil after connection, the water pump didnt
do the slightest thing... not even a lil electric jolt... NOTHING.

So my question for you guys is if you can please direct me to some literature that is a lil beyond the "BASICS" of solar and appliance
application and what needs to be what and why it needs to be that way...
I've read all about how solar and battery systems work and how they are setup,, but I just wanted to connected this pump DIRECTLY
to the panel so then it will naturally turn off when sun sets and then trickle on as the sun rises.

I was looking at grabbing a 12v battery, but its 5amps... and Id suspect that would burn up my pump that is only... what... 220mAh...

thanks so much everyone.

EDIT::
I'll be lurking in the Beginners forum for now. Just wanted to post this in the PUMP section :) Still
love to hear what people have to say though.

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    My first take is that you may have wired the DC polarity wrong. Measure the voltage from the panel while it is connected to the pump and compare that to the voltage without the pump.
    My second take is that 23V is far enough above the nominal 12V input rating of the pump that you may have fried the circuitry.
    Normally this kind of application would require a voltage regulator or Linear Current Booster (Google that.)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was searching for a direct connect pump for a friends hydroponic garden, I looked for 12-24 volt pumps but settled on a 12 volt pump and figured It would be fine, It has been working for 2+ months now with out fail. It's a 1 amp 12-15watt pump running on a 35 year old 55 watt 12 volt nominal panel. VOC runs around 22 volts, and VMP around 18. Likely the hardest part is starting the pump. I don't think the there is any circuitry that can be hurt by the high VOC but the high VMP could shorten the life. Did you make a water proof connection? This sounds like a submersible pump. Often they have short leads and must have sealed extensions.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    If the pump is specifically listed a brushless, it must have solid state switching elements and control logic. That is what I would worry about.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ROTTEN
    inetdog wrote: »
    My first take is that you may have wired the DC polarity wrong. Measure the voltage from the panel while it is connected to the pump and compare that to the voltage without the pump.
    My second take is that 23V is far enough above the nominal 12V input rating of the pump that you may have fried the circuitry.
    Normally this kind of application would require a voltage regulator or Linear Current Booster (Google that.)

Ill do this today for sure to check stuff. out Il be sure to google what you mentioned too. Thank yo ufor the direction. ILl be back though for sure ;)
  • ROTTEN
    Photowhit wrote: »
    When I was searching for a direct connect pump for a friends hydroponic garden, I looked for 12-24 volt pumps but settled on a 12 volt pump and figured It would be fine, It has been working for 2+ months now with out fail. It's a 1 amp 12-15watt pump running on a 35 year old 55 watt 12 volt nominal panel. VOC runs around 22 volts, and VMP around 18. Likely the hardest part is starting the pump. I don't think the there is any circuitry that can be hurt by the high VOC but the high VMP could shorten the life. Did you make a water proof connection? This sounds like a submersible pump. Often they have short leads and must have sealed extensions.

damn 1 amp 15watt pump... Got a link?? lol How much that baby cost? Over the last day, I was in the garden and I decided that Im going to
    go a lil larger then what I specified above. This is going to be a pump that is used to flood a gravel grow bed. My ducks mess up their pond pretty
    well and I need to either AERATE it to clean it... OR run it through a gravel bed with plants and bacteria to take out the nitrogen.

This was just testing. The pump is a submersible, with 2 ft leads, not to bad, PLENTY length for me to test the pump in a 5gal bucket
    without risking the wires touching ANY WATER....

Give me a LITTLE credit now lol... I know that water and electricity dont mix lol
    When I get to getting things working ,ill be sure to look up how to make PROPER sealed connects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked it up off ebay, They are sold out but here's a link that I hope works for you. there were others who sold the same unit. It's tiny submersible. Not sure it would work as a 'trash' pump; Output is about 3/8ths likely 10mm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400666077637...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ROTTEN
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I picked it up off ebay, They are sold out but here's a link that I hope works for you. there were others who sold the same unit. It's tiny submersible. Not sure it would work as a 'trash' pump; Output is about 3/8ths likely 10mm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400666077637...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

that one is brushless, and you just direct connected it?

The more I have thought about this,, I believe Im going to end up just including a lil battery bank..
    Because I do plan on making a larger few kW system, ill just start small and buy everything so that
    all i have to do in the future is expand.

but with this guy... ill just get the small charger controller units to serve my purpose

Ill update soon when I get more info on my needs. I needa figure out my water flow amount first.