Inverter / Charger recommendation (Off Grid)

Options
fidodido
fidodido Registered Users Posts: 9
Hello!

So, I am in the market to buy a new inverter / charger. My power needs are around ~2000W and it has to be pure sine wave. Budget is somehow tight and I am looking to spend between 800-1200.

So, I was looking at the Conext SW 2524, but the tare loss freaked me out. Then I took a look at Magnum MS2024 but its way out of budget. I checked Outback GFX1424 but it is just 1400W. I went and looked on Samlex and AIMS brand, but I dont know if these are worthy against the other brands (schneider, magnum, outback, etc.).

So, can any of you recommend any good one given my requirements ? feel free to ask me any questions and thanks for your help.

P.S.: By the way, the models on Samlex and AIMS I was looking at where EVO-2224 and AIMS 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter respectively.

Thanks!

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    While the GFX 1424 is 1400 watts, it's 30 minute surge is 2000 va. Depending on how long you run your loads it may still work. I pull 1,800 w through mine often with a 5.000 btu AC and microwave..

http://www.outbackpower.com/download...et_english.pdf
  • fidodido
    Options
    Yeah [USER="7866"]Blackcherry04[/USER] thanks for the suggestion, thing is I dont want to risk it right now in case i really need to use somehow the 2K due to the appliances. I *can* go with 1400, but I will be somehow limited. Also, according to this site http://www.wholesalesolar.com/solar-information/well-pump-inverter-sizing my 0.75 pump will squeeze all the juice from it. Will keep in mind though.

Why would the Conext SW 2524 consume so much power when idle ? Shees.. that would've been my perfect choice.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Be very careful, when considering AIMS inverters. They seem to have earned a poor reputation, IMO.

Search this site for the term ' AIMS inverter '. Quite a few disappointed users. FWIW, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • fidodido
    Options
    Thanks [USER="451"]Vic[/USER] , AIMS is definitively out of the question then.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Xantrex SW, SW-Plus, and DR inverters have been discontinued. The SW/SW+ line has been replaced with the new Schneider Electric XW inverters. The DR series has been replaced with the new TR (Trace) inverters. (From the Solar Elect site)
    Apparently some still in stock
    I'm not sure what the difference from the XW & the XW+ series is - what does the + give you ?

XW4024 page 102 of http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/inverters/xain/nexaxwseinan.html
    Power consumption in W
    <8 W - search mode
    Idle Consumption—invert mode, no load 24w

Model: SW 2524-120
    No Load Power Draw: 38 Watts What's so bad about that ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    38W is 900Wh/day. Which means you need a 9000Wh/day system to keep inverter tare below 10% of production. 9000Wh/d means (around here) about 5kWp of solar

Since we started using the vfx here, even at its lowish 20W, it still feels like another mouth to feed.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• fidodido
    Options
    Hey guys, regarding the tare loss, should I care too much about it if I'm going off-grid?

I mean, the inverter will be always connected to utility power and will probably get used for 10-15 minutes most days. Would 900wh/day broke my electricity bill if the inverter is always connected to AC (utility power)?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    For a very efficient home, you may use 3-10 kWH per day... So 0.9 kWH per day tare loss can be pretty large loss (intended to say in-efficient).

If you have grid power, depending on where you live, you may pay from $0.10 to $0.30 per kWH USD for power.
    • $0.20 per kWH * 0.9 kWH per day * 30 days per month = $5.40 per month of utility power
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • fidodido
    Options
    Thanks for the write up [USER="512"]BB.[/USER]

Any other inverter recommendation given my needs?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Sorry--I intended to type "inefficient" when you have 0.9 kWH loss vs 3-10 kWH per day energy usage. But it really depends on your needs and usage... If it is cost effective for your needs--Then that is good enough.

I don't really have anything to suggest inverter wise--I am on grid and do not have any experience with off grid hardware based on my usage.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You might want to consider a separate charger and inverter, rather than just an all in one unit...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Wxboy
    Wxboy Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fidodido wrote: »
    Hey guys, regarding the tare loss, should I care too much about it if I'm going off-grid?

I mean, the inverter will be always connected to utility power and will probably get used for 10-15 minutes most days. Would 900wh/day broke my electricity bill if the inverter is always connected to AC (utility power)?

If you are grid connected and the inverter is idle I would think it would reduce the power draw although I don't see a stat on the Conext SW spec. sheet. My Radian uses 34 watts when it's "on" but around 4 watts when it's in standby mode(not search mode).
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you are able to use search mode that will help. That all depends on how you set your system up. Off grid, search mode is next to useless because of the usual phantom loads that exist in a typical house. A cordless phone or an electric toothbrush is all it takes.

Outback and Victron have the lowest idle tare of all the inverters. On grid, all of this is expensive, and you have to have pretty crappy mains service to justify redundant backup systems. Otherwise just get yourself a wee honda and call it good.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• fidodido
    Options
    Is the tare loss only when the inverter is in inverter mode ? i.e. when a utility power cut-off occur ?

Because, like I said, I will only use the inverter (meaning: it will have load) for around 10-15 minutes only. Rest of the day the inverter will be idle and connected to utility power (acting as a charger for the battery?). So, 38W on the SW 2524 is being used for this or it is only when it is inverting (even if it has no load) ?
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    fidodido wrote: »
    Is the tare loss only when the inverter is in inverter mode ? i.e. when a utility power cut-off occur ?

Because, like I said, I will only use the inverter (meaning: it will have load) for around 10-15 minutes only. Rest of the day the inverter will be idle and connected to utility power (acting as a charger for the battery?). So, 38W on the SW 2524 is being used for this or it is only when it is inverting (even if it has no load) ?
    You can bet it does, it is active waiting to energize the transfer relays and the charger circuit. and display.