Hydrometer vs Refractometer

Options
kaipo_boy
kaipo_boy Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
Went outside a few nights ago to check the batteries and first step outside in the dark there was an ominous POP and something under my foot gave way. Sigh. I'll need another hydrometer.

I was having trouble reading the specific gravity level though... (turkey baster type) because the bobbing glass buoy would stick to the sides of the turkey baster I was using... does anyone here use the visual REFRACTOMETER type of reader to get the SG levels? It seems a much more accurate way to do it and only costs like $20 on amazon. Plus, you probably won't break it if you step on it in the dark :)

Comments

• Cski
    Cski Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Options
    I have used refractometer many times at my job. It was required to be used for our battery maintance on our emergency generators and a few other 24 volt battery systems. I like it much better than the hydromters. I just recently purchased an off the grids home and will be getting a refractometer for my battery maintance. I personally think they are more accurate. And cheap enough to justify getting one.
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you provide a link to this product? Sounds like an improvement over the old bulb style units.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Cski
    Cski Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Options
    706jim wrote: »
    Can you provide a link to this product? Sounds like an improvement over the old bulb style units.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_12?ie=UTF8&n=393272011&k=battery+refractometer&sprefix=Battery+refr
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Once ordered a $70 refractometor for saltwater. It didn't work at all. Simple is sometimes best for some.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown wrote: »
    Once ordered a $70 refractometor for saltwater. It didn't work at all. Simple is sometimes best for some.
    Even more than for hydrometers, it is critical to calibrate your refractometer with a known SG electrolyte solution close to the fully charged SG of your particular battery.
    Some find that the cleaning requirements for refractometers are more tedious than for bulb hydrometers where you can just suck in some distilled water to flush.

SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.