Eco-Worthy 20a MPPT charge controller review.

2»

Comments

• kjetil
    kjetil Solar Expert Posts: 31
    I bought this Eco-Worthy controller now. :D It can handle 550W and 45Voc according to the manual. That means I can use 2 X 250W 24V panels in parallel but not in series?

The mppt demo is showing some strange numbers. I connected a 22V powersupply with an almost fully charged battery with the controller in float mode. With multimeter I measure 0.3A between the psu and the controller, and 0.3A between the controller and the battery. But MPPT DEMO is showing 7.55A PWM 7.50A Eff01%

Are the numbers wrong? Or are these numbers just from bulk mode?
  • jimindenver
    jimindenver Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭
    The demo mode is a gimmick. Something to reassure after purchase that getting MPPT was a good thing. A waste of space and cost that should have been used better to improve the controller features. I have found it fairly accurate at showing what the Isc of the panel is only because I didn't believe it. Demo mode showed my 230w panel a amp over it's Isc so I put a meter on it to see.
  • kjetil
    The demo mode is a gimmick. Something to reassure after purchase that getting MPPT was a good thing. A waste of space and cost that should have been used better to improve the controller features. I have found it fairly accurate at showing what the Isc of the panel is only because I didn't believe it. Demo mode showed my 230w panel a amp over it's Isc so I put a meter on it to see.

Okey, so it's normal that the MPPT DEMO isn't near what the actually current is?

I was just unsure because the numbers was so high (over 7A) when I measured 0.3A. I wanna make sure it's nothing wrong with the controller and have to return it?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Remember that (ignoring losses), that Power = Voltage * Current, or for a MPPT controller:

Vpanel*Ipanel = Vbatt * Ibatt

Or:

Ipanel = Vbatt * 1/Vpanel * Ibatt

The equation should match to within 5% or so (typically MPPT controller is around 95% efficient at middle of the day solar power).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kjetil
    I just wonder why the MPPT DEMO has so different current numbers than the actually current reading?
  • BB.
    DEMO = MARKETING function?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    If you do not use "DEMO"--Does the controller work correctly? If so, then all is good.

-Bill
  • kjetil
    BB. wrote: »
    If you do not use "DEMO"--Does the controller work correctly? If so, then all is good.

-Bill

Yes, It seems to work correctly if I don't use MPPT DEMO.
    1.77A in
    2.82A out
    I was just confused by the high MPPT DEMO numbers.

Attachment not found.
  • scrubjaysnest
    scrubjaysnest Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    I would say Demo mode is just that, like a fish finder in demo mode isn't real world just an example.
  • kjetil

What is Isc?
    Is demo mode pointless and useless? I thought I could read the current from the solar panel in demo mode? But my numbers are way off...
  • BB.
    Isc is short circuit current of the panel under noontime sun.

Isc is used as the current value to design wire gauge / sizing.

-Bill