Reverse Osmosis Mineral Block?

Steven Lake
Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
Okay, I've got a question. Was wandering the net and have caught a few references to an add-in for RO systems that reintroduces necessary minerals into the water after it's been passed through an RO system. From what I've read it's supposed to be like a filter pack almost, and hooks into your water system on the downside of your RO system to put back in all the minerals that were removed out in the process of filtering. But I did some google diving on this and can't find anything on it, except more mentions of a system like that. Does anyone know if such a system exists commercially, or would this be a home brew solution using mineral blocks to solve the filtering problem? If it's home brew I'd like to find some info so I can build my own, and if it's not, then I'd like to find out who sells them. They'd come in super handy at our cabin and at the other places we have RO systems setup on.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I am not sure RO/Distilled water is bad for normal drinking... But I did find one "remineralizer/alkalizer" here:

http://waterus.com/alkalizer.htm

Don't know anything about the product/website.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • OntheWay
    OntheWay Solar Expert Posts: 36 ✭✭
    to put back in all the minerals that were removed out in the process of filtering

I am using such a system, a cheap one. That filter (we call it mineral filter) is appears to be plastic a container filled with some stone pieces (you get it when you shake it, there are stones).

Since I am measuring the output with a TDS meter, I can see it is adding something to water. The point here is, its not capable of adding minerals in a balanced manner. To get Ionically balanced water, it takes some time to settle balance, as far as I know (Im not an expert, just general knowledge). Therefore, I dont believe it equally replaces the good "old" water :)
    BB. wrote: »
    I am not sure RO/Distilled water is bad for normal drinking...

Drinking pure water is bad idea. Dont recommend it for over few days. Lack of common minerals may easily disrupt the bacterial balance in the far end of digestion system :)
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    My feeling is if you eat a diet full of a variety of fresh vegetables you will get all the minerals you need. So far that theory seems to be working even with us using RO water for drinking and cooking. My doctor says I am healthier than I was 10 years ago and I agree as I feel better than I did before we changed our diet and water consumption.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • OntheWay
    OntheWay Solar Expert Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Again, as far as I know; pH of water you drink have some effects. Alkaline water is more preferred then neutral pH. Also, It might be good to remember we evolved to drink water with some minerals in it, not pure. Just my 0.2..
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My feeling is if you eat a diet full of a variety of fresh vegetables you will get all the minerals you need. So far that theory seems to be working even with us using RO water for drinking and cooking. My doctor says I am healthier than I was 10 years ago and I agree as I feel better than I did before we changed our diet and water consumption.

Agree completely and the Doc backing it up just proves it. Everything in moderation. I was never healthier than the 10 years I was at sea drinking RO water and rain.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    RO water is good for you (less potentially hazardous substances), but it tastes bad (especially for espresso). I throw a few small limestones in my water jugs to fix it.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    jonr wrote: »
    RO water is good for you (less potentially hazardous substances)

That is the reason we use it... arsenic is a tad high in our well water.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi . We drink water collected from roof . Rain water is essentially distilled water . No problems there, we do however boil the water to kill any bacteria.
    So I think you can get all the minerals needed from food .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • Steven Lake
    Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
    jonr, that's interesting that you use limestone. Is it possible that I could RO the water to a tank and then have some limestone like that in the bottom to improve the taste and get the same effect as you? I'm only really asking about this because of all the warnings about how RO water sucks nutrients out of your body and how that could be detrimental to one's health. So call it being cautious. :) As for RO'ing the water to a tank, I was already considering that anyways given how long it takes to process RO water. Suck it in from the outside source, pump it through the filter tree and then into a tank, and then just feed out of the tank. In a case like that if I did start having problems with insufficient minerals I could either just take some mineral pills, or else do like we do with our cows and just toss a mineral block in the water. lol. No joke. We actually do that to make sure they get their minerals. The cows love it. :D
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe the stuff about RO water being bad for you. But yes, throw some limestones into your tank and it won't taste acidic (due to CO2 absorption) and will be better for your pipes.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development