Conext ComBox Help

gbaig
gbaig Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭
Hi All,

Can anyone guide me please. While I can monitor performance of my solar system at home on PC or Tablet but can not access my combox from outside home. My ISP has given me static IP. Thanks

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to get through your ISP's router firewall, and then you can see it. Since each ISP uses different modems, they should be able to instruct you how to get through. You may want to purchase a separate router to put your PC on, because punching through your ISP modems firewall, can expose your PC to the raw Net, and 46 gazillion 'bots will try to infect it in the first minutes,
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• gbaig
    I did open port to the static IP assigned to Combox but still not able to access it from outside home network. I can see performance while connected to home network. Am I missing any configuration step?

- Xantrex XW6048
    - 2 Charge Controllers
    - Combox
    - System control Panel
    - 12 Vision Batteries
    - 24, 250 Watts Sharp Panels
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    gbaig wrote: »
    I did open port to the static IP assigned to Combox but still not able to access it from outside home network. I can see performance while connected to home network. Am I missing any configuration step?

- Xantrex XW6048
    - 2 Charge Controllers
    - Combox
    - System control Panel
    - 12 Vision Batteries

The issue is the external IP is probably different. You need to know your external IP and probably add a DNS entry some place the looks it up and reports to the DNS the actual outer router IP. Most ISP will block typical server posrt as well like port 80 or 443 to prevent your use of a web server. What port number does the combox use for access.
  • gbaig
    My ISP provided a static IP to my router. Also allows to open any port. I assigned static IP to combox and also provided a dns but still doest not allow me to access combox remotely. The default combox port is 80.
  • solar_dave
    My ISP provided a static IP to my router. Also allows to open any port. I assigned static IP to combox and also provided a dns but still doest not allow me to access combox remotely. The default combox port is 80.

WHat is your internal IP address range? 10.xx.xx.xx or 192.168.0.XX or similar. The router is a network translator. It connects your internal network to the external internet. Having no restriction from an ISP is not the norm.
  • gbaig
    My router IP range is 192.xxx.x.x and static is different, it always stays same. My router allows port open for specific IP address under NAT menu.
  • solar_dave
    My router IP range is 192.xxx.x.x and static is different, it always stays same. My router allows port open for specific IP address under NAT menu.

that is the internal ip address. To get to the router from the outside you need to use the external address. If it is 192.168.xx.xx then it is not visible from the outside world. see the link below for not routable via the external internet addresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Generally ISP do block certain ports from reaching your router so as no not overload the incoming side of their network and getting you to pay more for that external address. I know mine block those port 80 web ports on purpose.

Your router is trying to provide port forwarding to that internal address.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding
  • gbaig
    Thanks for the info, my ISP provided me (18X.XXX.XX.137)with an external IP address for which I pay monthly. I took static IP from ISP to monitor my home security cameras from outside. It works fine. ComBox Tablet application allows to add and IP address, when I add my external IP address it then asks for Combox user ID and PW. When I do that, it gives me "Fault". At home when ComBox app is opened, Tab automatically detects ComBox and shows all the activity.

- Xantrex XW6048
    - 2 Charge Controllers
    - Combox
    - System control Panel
    - 12 Vision Batteries
  • solar_dave
    Beats me then! ;)