Short circuit current

Options
CALLD
CALLD Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
Not PV isc, but batteries!

Something compelled me to test the DC breaker I have installed on my batteries last night, and would you believe the horror that filled me when I failed to get it to trip! It's a 130amp breaker, and putting a 5 second load of 3640watts on my inverter (it can do 3750w for 30secs and 5000w for 2secs) could not get the switch to trip. I don't have a shunt to measure the current but conservative calculations lead me to believe the current was at least 150amps. 3640/23.8v=153amps.

I took it off and shorted it across an old 12v car battery and could not get it to trip either - the 35mm2 Awg #2 cables did get warm so I know there was plenty of current flowing.

Anyway, I have to take it back and complain and get a new one - which I will test for sure!

Just out of interest sake - does anyone know what a 2600Amp short circuit at 24v could do? That is apparently what my AGM batteries could deliver if a dead-short were to occur for some reason. Just interested, not that I would ever allow that to happen, but what if it did?

I've heard people in the gun fraternity talk about accidental discharges and how there are basically two groups of people - those who have had one happen and those who are still going to have one happen! I sincerely hope the same doesn't go for people who work with batteries and accidental short circuits...

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Relax a little bit, Breakers are NOT designed to trip instantly, at a slightly higher amperage they may well hold for hours!

Now lets look at the situation, You have a 24 volt system, while you were actually well above your calculation, "3640/23.8v=153amps" doesn't take into account the inverter loss. Add at least another 5%, but it started at 25+ volts and dropped over time to 23.8 volts.

Now lets look at your 12 volt battery shorting, your using #2 gauge wire, breakers are designed to protect wire from over heating. Since #2 is rated at around 120 amps at best your test isn't valid since your loosing some amperage as heat. To protect #2 wire you should be using a smaller breaker. You might not be passing as much amperage through as you think dissipating/using some of it to heat the wire. I doubt you were pushing as much amperage as you think.

I don't think you really have a failure, If you must push the limits I might try shorting across the AGM battery bank, I'd rather trust quality breakers, but Robin at Midnite has said they are good for 5000 trips (magnetic type) so have at it... Don't hurt yourself!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    What you experienced is why I use a large breaker AND a type T fuse in series. The fuse is very close to the battery positive connection point. The breaker is closer to the inverter and is there to be used mainly as a disconnect. The fuse is larger capacity than the breaker. In case of a dead short the fuse will blow for certain.

CALLD wrote: »
    Just out of interest sake - does anyone know what a 2600Amp short circuit at 24v could do?

You could weld metal as in arc welding.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CALLD wrote: »
    Just out of interest sake - does anyone know what a 2600Amp short circuit at 24v could do? .

I agree with Mountain Don's answer, but will add to that - - - - - it's also excellent (in the back yard electrician's situation) for spraying molten metal (copper wire for example) around the room, starting fires in several places at once, igniting the combined oxygen and hydrogen at lead-acid batteries, causing them to burst and spray acid about the area, and of course molten metal is useful for vaporizing human skin and flesh. Other than that, nothing serious will happen.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    This video (2nd half) shows what 300 amps at 12 volts can do to a nail/screw/bolt in a short circuit:

And for information on using an AC rated breaker on higher voltage DC installed with incorrect polaritiy:

And here is what inside of a typical AC circuit breaker:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset