New thread on problems with the NEW Forum version

westbranch
westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
since the First thread Bill started is now so long I wanted to start a new thread to cover so here we go...

Acouple of little thigs I noticed.. I wanted to really get rid of those RSS posts, once I marked them read, but they can NOT be removed from the list.
We used to have the ability to keep specific SUB forums from showing, like RSS, can we get it back?

Small irritant now, when I went to the RSS subforum the button in the RED bar says "Mark all ForumS read"....no! I just want to mark all THREADS as read...

never mind the misuse of latin, which should be ForA not 'ums'

end rant...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
West Chilcotin, BC, Canada

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    If you do not want to see the news feeds--Go to your User Settings/Account -- Or click the link below:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/settings/account

Scroll to the bottom of the page and enter "RSSFeed" into the Ignore List... When RSSFeed pops up in a little window. Select it, then hit save.

You will not get any more news feeds, plus the RSS News directory will appear "empty".

If you want to see the feeds again, just erase the User ID from the Ignore List.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • earlvillestu
    earlvillestu Registered Users Posts: 5
    Is there any way to get to the full site from a mobile device? The mobile site is extremely lame.
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    I am having issues with new posts. Unless the board has gotten a lot more active, there doesn't seem to be truncation between new posts that have arrived since my last visit and recent posts
  • vBulletin Support
    vBulletin Support Administrators, Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭
    peakbagger wrote: »
    I am having issues with new posts. Unless the board has gotten a lot more active, there doesn't seem to be truncation between new posts that have arrived since my last visit and recent posts

This version doesn't do that...it's just read/unread now.
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    On the Energy Use subforum, the Low Power Computer from 12V thread,
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum/solar-electric-power-wind-power-balance-of-system/energy-use-conservation/17719-low-power-low-voltage-computers-and-network-equipment-that-can-be-run-from-12v-batteries
    it says the last post is from Deveak, but I can't see that posting. There was some mention in the other thread about resetting some account settings, which I thought I tried but that didn't work.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    On the Energy Use subforum, the Low Power Computer from 12V thread,
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum/solar-electric-power-wind-power-balance-of-system/energy-use-conservation/17719-low-power-low-voltage-computers-and-network-equipment-that-can-be-run-from-12v-batteries
    it says the last post is from Deveak, but I can't see that posting. There was some mention in the other thread about resetting some account settings, which I thought I tried but that didn't work.

"Deveak" is a deleted spammer. There are numerous threads which have this same flaw: deleted post listed as the last one.

I'd like vBulletin to explain exactly what has been improved with this 'upgrade'; it's just a huge increase in flaws.

The software in this version is horribly defective and should be removed. This is the second time a major 'upgrade' has been an unmitigated disaster. Until you have a product that actually functions as it should, don't foist it off on paying customers.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »

never mind the misuse of latin, which should be ForA not 'ums'

end rant...

from http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/forum/forums-vs-fora.html
    [h=1]Forums or Fora?[/h] Fora is sometimes cited as the correct plural for forum. Although it is indeed correct, there is some debate over whether it is the only correct pluralisation. Most online dictionaries provide both fora and forums as acceptable terms.
    You will notice that we use the plural forums here at MediaCollege.com. This is for two reasons:
    1. It appears to be acceptable English.
    2. It is the pragmatic solution.
    Whilst we are against most forms of language dumbing-down, we are also against unnecessary complication. Everyone knows and understands the word forums. Most people don't know what fora means. There is almost no chance of changing that situation significantly, no matter how hard the purists might want to. Like the failed Esperanto language, we believe reality wins over idealism. It's sad but inescapably true.
    We don't believe it makes sense to promote fora as the "correct" pluralisation because it creates confusion, offers no real benefit, and can't work anyway so it's pointless trying.

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Delays increasing. Over time I feel like hovering over a thread title takes longer to load the popup text. Also I'm sure it is taking longer and longer when I click on the little down arrow on the left side of a thread title before it loads the thread and jumps to the correct post. Since we no longer have jump-to-page-links that little arrow is the closest thing to it, and if the delays keep increasing it will become useless.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
  • BB.
    Thank you Techntrek... I think I got all of those threads (soft deleted for now).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Thank you Techntrek... I think I got all of those threads (soft deleted for now). -Bill

It's not just deleting the dupes, but what causes them ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• vBulletin Support
    vBulletin Support Administrators, Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭
    They are not technically duplicates. They are separate threads posted at different times by the same author.
    You can see this from the screenshot - the times are different and the titles are not identical.
    If they were actual duplicates, (as in, the software taking one submitted thread and creating it multiple times)), then this wouldn't be the case.

You can sometimes get a situation where the server doesn't respond quickly and the user presses the submit button several times. But again, that's not happening here as the titles would be the same.

The most likely reason is that the user creates his thread but then cannot immediately find it for whatever reason, so assumes it didn't submit and writes it again from scratch - hence the slightly different titles.

Attachment not found.
  • BB.
    From what I have seen, the duplicates are caused by the forum software returning an error message to the poster (something like "error 500" or similar, obscure error message).

Your screen does not refresh, and there is no obvious post... However, your post actually did make it to the Data Base.

People (happened to me too) don't see the post. Try hitting Post again, get the same error. Wait a bit, try Posting again, etc... Then when the page is finally reset (or the post goes through without error), the other attempts are displayed too.

The weird thing for me--Either some or all of these posts appeared inconstantly (or not at all) in the Today's Posts / New Posts searches (I am not sure--But I would have seen and deleted these obvious multiple posts)

However, the link that Techntrek supplied did consistently display the posts, so I was able to delete them.

I have not see duplicates or the Error messages after the first day or too. There were some data base (or cache) inconsistencies that Mark fixed which may have stopped the problem--Or other behind the scenes work by Mark that addressed the issue.

-Bill
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    While the forum is functional, it still feels like we are “beta” guinea pigs..
  • BB.
    NAWS is talking with Mark and the VB folks about "what next" (fix current forum, next "dot" release, etc.).

I have not heard anything further at this time.

-Bill
This discussion has been closed.