MPPT60 Morningstar Setpoints

Options
I’m seeking help and understanding on setting the Custom Setpoints for my Morningstar MPPT60 controller. The solar setup is 3x250W Cynergy series panels for Vmp =91.7 and Imp = 8.2. The batteries are 4x Lifeline AGM GPL-4CT 6V configured for 12V 440AH. I have the battery voltage set to 14.3V for absorb (spec 14.2-14.4) and 13.3V for float (spec 13.2-13.4). All of the remaining settings are the default settings.

What are the considerations and how can I determine the remaining settings? In particular the settings with their current values for Absorption Time (2:30:00), Absorption Ext Voltage (12.50), Absorption Ext Time (3:30:00), Float Timeout (1:00:00), Float Cancel Voltage (12.30), HVD (14.50) and HVDR (13.80).

It seems likely that the setting will be dependent upon usage but I want to understand what to consider so that I can make reasonable settings for the controller.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What are the considerations and how can I determine the remaining settings? In particular the settings with their current values for Absorption Time (2:30:00), Absorption Ext Voltage (12.50), Absorption Ext Time (3:30:00), Float Timeout (1:00:00), Float Cancel Voltage (12.30), HVD (14.50) and HVDR (13.80).

The manual barely covers this, I'll try.

Do you have dip switch settings for AGM/sealed batteries and to disable EQ ??

Absorption Time (2:30:00) How long the batteries dwell at Abs voltage to complete their charge. Can be deadly to AGM, if they are near full. I would for sure lower this, does your battery mfg give any guidance ?

Absorption Ext Voltage (12.50), If some night, the batteries are really drained low, below this voltage, the next charge cycle will have a longer (Extended) time
    Absorption Ext Time (3:30:00), How long for the special extended time.

Float Timeout (1:00:00), I think it's the time required below the Float Cancel Voltage, to restart a charge cycle (Bulk, Absorb)
    Float Cancel Voltage (12.30) voltage to restart charge cycle

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• HandyBob
    HandyBob Banned Posts: 31
    Options
    The Tristar has a very smart self adjusting charging algorithm. They do not explain it, but it can be set with the dip switches and trusted to do the right thing. It will vary time at absorption as needed, based on the recorded overnight voltage low and the charging amps. The overcharging worry is not justified because a full battery will not accept enough amps to hurt it with the voltage held as low as 14.3V. I have used the 14.4V setting may times for Life Lines with great success. One of the customers I did this for spent a whole year fooling around with the custom settings and finally told me that based on what he saw, plus what Life Line told him, he just put it back to default. I haven't heard another word for about 4 years.

Ask Life Line for their opinion if you want your eye's opened. They have changed their recommendations and are even recommending light equalization due to all of the problems with the average user undercharging. If you charge all the way up, you don't need to equalize AGM's, but undercharging them leads to death.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    The Concorde (Life Line) AGMs appear to take higher voltages better than some other AGMs (design differences). Concorde recommends some seriously high voltages for "recovery" of their batteries if badly sulfated/other problems.
    BB. wrote: »
    Re: AGM Battery Desulfator

Here is a thread how one company (Concorde) recommends to "recover" their AGMs... Not supposed to apply to any other brands of AGMs:

Sulfated Lifeline Concorde AGM Batteries

And here is a great thread from DapDan with information on how one place recommends to restore AGM batteries (new catalyst caps, adding water to cell, etc.):

Low rest voltage on GNB absolyte IIP cells

In the end, trying to do "extreme" things to batteries should be done in a safe area and always under some sort of supervision/monitoring (don't want to overheat the cells and blow acid around) and performed while wearing appropriate safety gear/gloves/face shield/water/hose/baking soda nearby/etc.).

And--if the cells are otherwise scrap--if you can try some of the above things (if done safely)--you are not loosing much anyway.

-Bill

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset