Bit late but.....any interest in a general Chat area?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
Had been thinking of floating the idea right before the board upgrade. Probably too late now. Living off of the grid is such a radically different lifestyle that being able to casually chat with others, in the same boat, might be a pleasant diversion.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    We can add a Chat Room forum--That is easy.

The bigger question is editorial/moderation issues.

In times past, our now retired Admin "Windsun" wanted to avoid a chat room and off topic discussions. He had seen many flame wars and good folks leave because of things said.

To date--The forum has been moderated in a fairly focused direction--Solar, Renewable Energy, and closely related subjects.

If people want to discuss the pros and cons of a Cafe, we can hold a short discussion here on what members think... I will probably close the thread after a week or so to end the discussion (and not become a defacto Cafe Thread).

Thoughts?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Rossman
    Rossman Solar Expert Posts: 178 ✭✭
    Options
    On a related topic, anyone know of a good off-grid/solar IRC chatroom?
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I actually think it is refreshing NOT to have a general chat / off topics area. Nothing wrong with a "strictly business" approach. There are other places for that sort of thing.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I actually think it is refreshing NOT to have a general chat / off topics area. Nothing wrong with a "strictly business" approach. There are other places for that sort of thing.

Concur, we all drift a bit sometimes and it adds depth to understanding the topic / commenters perspective, random drift is OK no need for a chat room AFAIK

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member". Groucho Marx

• solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    We can add a Chat Room forum--That is easy.

The bigger question is editorial/moderation issues.

In times past, our now retired Admin "Windsun" wanted to avoid a chat room and off topic discussions. He had seen many flame wars and good folks leave because of things said.

To date--The forum has been moderated in a fairly focused direction--Solar, Renewable Energy, and closely related subjects.

If people want to discuss the pros and cons of a Cafe, we can hold a short discussion here on what members think... I will probably close the thread after a week or so to end the discussion (and not become a defacto Cafe Thread).

Thoughts?

-Bill

I am for and against it. I would like to have such a chat room, off grid is a unique situation with various problem's and solutions, many unique, of which I have dealt with. As a photographer and being on many forums, I know how things can go awry. We have a general discussion on one camera forum, and it works very very well, but needs a good mod. On the whole it works smoothly and we share the most interesting issues other than religion and politics. I would vote for a 60 day trial.
  • BB.
    Options
    Remember, we are pretty easy about what is related to solar/RE Power (we even have some political discussions related to taxes, rebates, etc.)...

If you want to talk about a good camera and how to charge it off grid (how much power it uses, battery options, Mpixels, and some free editing software etc.) --I am OK with that.

If we start talking about the best camera to take photos of (name your political party here)... Not going to happen.

A cafe that discusses solar/RE/Off grid life styles (got stuck in mud driving to cabin--What chains/vehicle/etc. would be better)--It could work.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea: "Off Grid Lifestyles: Challenges & Solutions"

I've been off grid for 4 1/2 years. Still constantly amazed by all the unique challenges and skill sets required to do it right. Water....wells...trash removal....trees.....gardens...fences...firewood/fireplaces...propane...fuel storage...receiving packages...property crime...dust...carbon monoxide...chain saw mtce and usage...log splitting & storage...keeping stuff warm...keeping stuff cold...cabin security...insulation...sun rooms...getting cell phones to work...etc, etc, etc.

Remember, we are pretty easy about what is related to solar/RE Power (we even have some political discussions related to taxes, rebates, etc.)...

If you want to talk about a good camera and how to charge it off grid (how much power it uses, battery options, Mpixels, and some free editing software etc.) --I am OK with that.

If we start talking about the best camera to take photos of (name your political party here)... Not going to happen.

A cafe that discusses solar/RE/Off grid life styles (got stuck in mud driving to cabin--What chains/vehicle/etc. would be better)--It could work.

-Bill

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    Options
    That does sound like it could be doable... Any thoughts from others?

We try to maintain a high "signal to noise" ratio... Makes it much easier to search for older post/subjects. Don't want a "cafe" to interfere with that too much.

Please realize that "Moderation" of such a cafe may be a bit more "heavy handed" that we normally would be with more technical posts (not banning, but locking/"disappearing" posts that go "sideways" (my guess--not a threat or prediction).

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options
    I have been also thinking about forums (to at least try) for very specialized discussions that generate a lot of discussions and concerns. One of those would be an Alternative Battery Chemistry Forum (or even two--Traditional Lead Acid/AGM/GEL forum and a LiIon forum).

For the Alternative Battery forum--A sticky explaining that being on the "bleeding edge of technology" can sometimes lead to bleeding from the wallet or other (sometimes) hazardous results. But otherwise let people discuss stuff that is not "mainstream" off grid/Solar RE technologies.

Part of the problem with sub-forums is that I like to discuss components as part of an "overall system design". Talking about components without understanding how the fit into an overall stratigy can result in frustration and mistakes.

-Bill
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of those would be an Alternative Battery Chemistry Forum (or even two--Traditional Lead Acid/AGM/GEL forum and a LiIon forum).-Bill

Agree ( 15 Characters :grr 1234567890)

:cool:;)

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • solorone
    Options
    Respect and courtesy, that is the key to our general discussion thread on one camera forum,, Nikon Café,, The café is the most respected camera forum on the net. Mods do close wayward threads or remove completely, but it was rare, my last post there was about airplanes, someone else might ask about a good vacuum to buy, I found amazing medical care for my wife's cancer pains, so it is an anything goes sort of place. Here I assume an off grid café of sorts, would not wander that far afield, but deal more with the life and needs of off griders,, OGs . Personally, when I started I found myself alone, with only rare magazines and books to help out and friends and family people telling me I was crazy. In a moment of frustration I called the author Jim Cullen for help. Even in todays "at our finger tips information world", it would be good to have folks to share problems and ideas with, people that have already done it and it worked or failed; to be able to mold one project with the ideas provided by another. Not sure what I could add, I am very old school, but I did power my home for a year or so with a 16 HP motor and 3 ford alternators and a lot of telephone batteries. :<)
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I would like it as I am doing stuff all of the time 'Out of the Norm' hehe... Working on a geodesic dome prototype with no structure to use for a greenhouse and aquaponics off-grid. Not too mainstream, but something I am invested in doing. Permies has some good forum stuff and it works for them. Many different topics and they have found a way to make it work.

Hope it works here,

Skip
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • BB.
    Options
    OK Folks--I got an OK from David at NAWS to add a Chat forum--As we see best.

Suggestions:
    • Chat--Friendly discussions about most anything (politics, religion, flaming others, etc. not allowed)
    • Community Information/Discussions -- More of a directed forum for Q&A information exchange (again, politics etc. to be avoided)
    • New Battery Technology -- Specifically Lithium, Flow, etc. batteries. Speculation, guessing, etc. Warning that new battery tech has a lot of unknowns.
    • Lead Acid Battery Tech -- Just traditional Battery Discussions. Installation and Maintenance of Lead Acid Batteries and support equipment (hydrometers, desulfators, etc.).
    • General Construction Discussions
    Some/all/other/none of the above? Need folks to be on their best behaviour--Some of these subjects have been kind of touchy in the past. Moderation will be "lighter" to allow a wider range of subjects... But threads that "go sideways" may be locked, if needed.

-Bill
  • solorone
    Options
    H2SO4_guy wrote: »
    I would like it as I am doing stuff all of the time 'Out of the Norm' hehe... Working on a geodesic dome prototype with no structure to use for a greenhouse and aquaponics off-grid. Not too mainstream, but something I am invested in doing. Permies has some good forum stuff and it works for them. Many different topics and they have found a way to make it work.

Hope it works here,

Skip

Great news on the forum, lets see how this rolls. Wish I had access to such as this years ago.

H2SO4 _guy. Thanks for the reminder I have several boxes of star hubs in my shop, built many Bucky models in the 70s and they were amazingly strong, look forward to your pics of the project.
  • softdown
    Options
    Cool. Still kind of partial to this one: "Off Grid Lifestyles: Challenges & Solutions"

Another idea: A lot of us have a shed full of solar stuff that turned out to be different than what we needed. We could have a "For Sale or Trade" venue as well. Just an idea.....
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't do chat, have no desire to, and I can see the chat room diverting a portion of info away from the traditional forum.
    Hey, I'm entitled to my opinion.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown wrote: »
    Another idea: A lot of us have a shed full of solar stuff that turned out to be different than what we needed. We could have a "For Sale or Trade" venue as well. Just an idea.....

Here:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum/solar-electric-power-wind-power-balance-of-system/general-solar-power-topics/14884-for-sale-thread

FWIW. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't do chat, have no desire to, and I can see the chat room diverting a portion of info away from the traditional forum.
    Hey, I'm entitled to my opinion.

Thanks BB Bill for even considering the extra effort that will come with this addition.

Have like that this Forum was Sponsored, with NO advertising, and as such, did not need to try to attract additional posters to this site just to see the ADs from other sites.

Agree with Wayne, that any real information that might be posted in a Chat Topic will be missed by those of us that do not have the time or inclination to cruise posts that are essentially divergent from the focus of this site.

Do not feel compelled to Chat on-line. Just too much to do elsewhere .... this comes with rural off-grid living. IMO. Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • softdown
    Options
    For those who are not inclined to "chat".....then don't do it. Why in the world would someone be opposed to others having the ability to amicably chat about off grid living? Or other issues?

Facebook has well over a billion users. It isn't like talking is considered a taboo thing to do.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options
    I don't like change too much. I Thought we were sorta in chat in the regular forum as one can answer as fast as he can type. I will say that I just joined two bee keeper forums and one of them has a whole area of the forum that people post what would be considered taboo. I find all that stuff to be pretty side lining to why I joined a forum like this. I joined this forum to get help me on alternate energy items and for me to eventually help others in the same fasion. I have found once or twice on the other forum where political items and such come up that you get in to many descussions and items that take a lot of time and are not germane to the bee keeping items I want to know. I know there are hundreds of sites where political items and other subjects can be discussed but I don't go there if I can help it as time can be better spent on the reasons I joined in the first place. I just wish this was more like chat and that everytime I posted a topic every one would drop everything and talk to me.:D

Everytime I go to the bee forum and hit new post, I get pages of bull crap to wade through to find the one or two post on bees that I need to be successfull. The other bee site is wonderful. It may even have our old forum sotware cause it has the little check marks that tell me where I have participated.

I know nothing about facebook or chat but hope it wouldn't change the things I like about this site. It seems this forum has stayed more popular then others covering the same subject matter and I would hate if anything would change something that is working for the worst. Not saying it would as I don;t know, just saying I hope not. I also hope it doesn't steal the guys who are here answering my questions cause they have to keep peice in a chat room.
    Thanks for listening
    gww
  • BB.
    Options
    I am listening.

I was not really looking for Chat--But either sub forums and/or other off forum topics.

One of the things I liked about this forum was that most of the discussion were on forum topic. Did not have to wade through a bunch of other posts.

-Bill
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see a need for it. Lots of chat elsewhere.
  • Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options
    BB, We called it "Thread Drift" on other sites I have been a part of.

When I was a part of that type of forum I thought it was a lot of fun and It pissed me off to no end on many occasions too, Really in the end what can it hurt? It's kinda like watching T.V. if it makes you angry or gets you upset somehow, change the channel or shut it off.

I only hope those of you that don't like the idea don't go away all together. I do appreciate all the differing technical perspectives.
  • BB.
    Options
    Still reading--And keeping busy with the "new forum"... Have not forgotten. Once things quite down we will try some different sub forums and see how it works.

-Bill
  • softdown
    Options
    What I was trying to suggest was an area for discussing the various challenges of country and off grid living.The new set of knowledge and required skills may involve: fencing, trash removal, package delivery, security, outdoor lighting, wells, propane, firewood/stoves/chainsaws, gardens, livestock, irrigation, simple sawmills, predators, keeping stuff cool, keeping stuff from freezing, insulation, fuel storage, beekeeping etc, etc, etc.
  • timmartin
    timmartin Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Rossman said:
    On a related topic, anyone know of a good off-grid/solar IRC chatroom?
    No, I just searched 5 or 6 of the IRC networks. I seriously think there should be just an #off-grid channel... But IRC is so old school, maybe that's the issue.
  • BB.
    Options
    The new forums are there. Not too many people using them right now.

-Bill
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think a chat room would be ok.
    But leave religion and politics out of it.
    I think it should be based for off grid and maybe on grid discussions with all kinds of power questions and alternates like wood power and dealing with a well or well water,  that folks need to deal with on daily basis.

I also seen sites where the chat rooms where dead and never used or they may become hostile.