Security fasteners?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Just heard another story of a local resident getting their panels stolen. Surely there are fasteners that will turn away most criminals that don't have advance knowledge of your fasteners. Yet I have yet to see any advertised.

Some criminals have a tool collection worth less than $20. Reason being, they are serious addicts. I had my best hammer (Estwing) stolen by a guy who didn't own a hammer. So any deterrent helps.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Re: Security fasteners?

Ok....a Google search found several companies that carry security fasteners. "Give them your number and an agent will contact you." I want prices.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • softdown

Thanks, the security nuts have possibilities if they provided a tool for the owner to remove the fasteners. One store in Texas carries the security nuts.

Ordinary run of the mill security fasteners can be defeated with a $4 kit of security bits.
    Vic wrote: »
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    softdown wrote: »
    Thanks, the security nuts have possibilities if they provided a tool for the owner to remove the fasteners. One store in Texas carries the security nuts.

Ordinary run of the mill security fasteners can be defeated with a $4 kit of security bits.

Some of the nuts at that site were just breakaway nuts where you snap the hex portion off after tightening. The removal tool would be a drill or cutoff wheel.
    The "trigroove" nuts look more removable, but I expect you can get the wrench tool for them pretty easily too.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

One bit of good news, is that PV prices have come down a lot, so the value of stolen PVs is also considerably lower than it was a few years ago.

There are ways to run an alarm sense lead that will detect when PVs are removed, and so on. Nothing will be perfect, of course. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

If they want them , they will cut / break them free .
    I used tamper-proof torc 5 star over torx of 6 star. Now the bolts are not for sale but are from found on road dead euro / asian engines of metric . So that with 7mm nylock nuts , it's bolted in place , BUT a cordless saws-all has my aluminum standoff leggs cut . Lets hope the noise wakes the sleeping bear
  • softdown

Normally they advertise the tool itself. Owners have made mistakes or changed their mind.

inetdog wrote: »
    Some of the nuts at that site were just breakaway nuts where you snap the hex portion off after tightening. The removal tool would be a drill or cutoff wheel.
    The "trigroove" nuts look more removable, but I expect you can get the wrench tool for them pretty easily too.