IOTA charger Potentiometer

kansas
kansas Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
I have an IOTA DLS-45 charger, not an IQ4 model. The dual voltage jack that comes with the DLS-45, when used, changes the output voltage from 13.6 volts to 14.2 volts. I have read on other threads here that this charger has a potentiometer, located inside the charger cover, that can be adjusted to change the output voltages.

I emailed IOTA several days ago to confirm this information and asked: 1) does the DLS-45 have a potentiometer; 2) is it advisable/safe to access and adjust it; 3) can I set the dual voltage maximum as high 15.3 volts: and 4) if the dual voltage maximum is 15.3 volts, what will the lower voltage be? IOTA hasn't responded.

I would be interested in information on any of these questions. Thanks a million . . . Bill
Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: IOTA charger Potentiometer

The potentiometer in on the fan end, left side. I have seen them two colors blue and white. It has a small silver flat head screw. If you want 15.3 or so you'll have to have the plug in when you adjust it. You can adjust it with a DVM. Once the battery reaches voltage you can adjust it again if necessary. Good luck with IOTA.

This one is blue.

Attachment not found.
  • kansas

Thanks, Blackcherry04. If I dial it up to 15.3 with the dual voltage jack in, I assume the 13.6 voltage without the jack will also have gone up, correct? Can I safely leave the potentiometer setting at 15.3 volts? My concern was raised because IOTA doesn't mention the potentiometer or any voltage adjustment option in their literature that I could find.
    Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    kansas wrote: »
    My concern was raised because IOTA doesn't mention the potentiometer or any voltage adjustment option in their literature that I could find.

It's not user adjustable. You could get an electrical shock by opening the unit and poking around with a screwdriver. They could not get UL listing if that was the way a user/consumer had to adjust it.

However, an electrical technician is allowed to open it up and adjust, repair, calibrate, etc. But an electrical technician is not an end user.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    kansas wrote: »
    Thanks, Blackcherry04. If I dial it up to 15.3 with the dual voltage jack in, I assume the 13.6 voltage without the jack will also have gone up, correct? Can I safely leave the potentiometer setting at 15.3 volts? My concern was raised because IOTA doesn't mention the potentiometer or any voltage adjustment option in their literature that I could find.
    If you'r worried about it, then don't do it. To answer your question, the 13.6 will go up proportional to the amount you raise the upper voltage.

I leave them turned up and run their output through a Xantrex c-35 controller, so I'd say yes since I have some going on 4-5 years.
  • kansas

I understand and will take necessary precautions. I assume disconnecting the unit, adjusting, reconnecting and checking the voltage, etc. would be a safe, if slow, method? Thanks VTMaps and Blackcherry04. Bill
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Mine is old , 2002 or so , fan end has a yellow dot in a hole in the case . small micro driver adjusts mine to 14.8 without tel-com plugged in . in my DTS45 . I run a few , 45-90 amps
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

Why not just spend $20-$25 and buy the IQ4 module for your charger? I added one to my DLS-55, and DLS-75.

iq.jpg

iqinstall.gif

One being installed in my camper:

dscn8381.jpg

One on my alt-power setup:

dscn7314.jpg

Makes a basic power supply into a 3 stage smart charger. Worth every penny!
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    2manytoyz wrote: »
    Why not just spend $20-$25 and buy the IQ4 module for your charger? I added one to my DLS-55, and DLS-75.

iq.jpg

iqinstall.gif

One being installed in my camper:

dscn8381.jpg

One on my alt-power setup:

dscn7314.jpg

Makes a basic power supply into a 3 stage smart charger. Worth every penny!

Because even with the IQ module, it does not raise the voltage up enough for proper charging of some batteries. You can adjust the voltage and ALSO use the IQ4 to get the best of both worlds.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Whether or not the IQ4 is a needed accessory depends a lot on how the charger is being used, IMO. If the Iota charger is powered by the grid, as with the one we use in our converted cargo trailer, then I believe the IQ4 is well worth the money. OTOH, if the Iota charger is being powered by a generator, skipping the IQ4 in favor of tweaking the pot a little to get the desired voltage. That is, assuming there is also solar to do the finishing charge and saving generator fuel. We have a Honda generator and use an Iota whenever we get enough clouds to allow the battery charge to fall to where I am uncomfortable. Then the genny is run until we get to maybe 85% SOC. Then I shut it off to not waste so much fuel on that last bit. That's just my perception. YMMV.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • kansas

My situation, which is why I'm interested in adjusting the Iota's potentiometer, is off-grid with generator back up. Out of the box the Iota voltages are two low for my needs. Adjusting the potentiometer will allow me to bulk charge my batteries at 14.7v, the manufacturer's spec., and with the dual voltage jack installed produce a 15.3v equalizing charge (also manuf. spec.), if I sometime feel the need for a corrective equalization. My Morningstar CC has an automatic equalization function at a voltage less than recommended by the battery manufacturer. Being off-grid, I don't foresee needing the Iota as a float charger. I did consider the IQ4 option, though, and it looks like it would make a very capable grid-tied smart charger. Thanks for the insights. Bill
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Kansas/Bill,

I agree with what you want to do... Force the IOTA to charge a Vbulk and Vequalize vs the normal lower Vabsorb and Vfloat voltages.

A simple pot+switch properly wired means don't have to open the supply and adjusting the 10 turn pot.

A very nice solution for off grid+generator setup.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kansas

Thanks, Bill. Just trying to keep from killing those batteries . . .
  • mryimmers
    mryimmers Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    I turned mine up to bulk charge on the generator. Very easy to do.
    510 watt pv, TS-MPPT 60, Exeltech XP1100, XP600 & XP250 @ 24V, 4x Trojan 105RE, Trimetric 2030, Yamaha EF2400i gen.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just be aware that these Trim Pots are only designed for a few cycles, they are not robust like the one in the car stereo. They are designed to be set once or twice, and that's it, Tweak them too often, and they fail.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• kansas
    Good advice. I made the adjustment I needed and now plan to leave it alone.
  • rwbain1975
    rwbain1975 Registered Users Posts: 1
    I know this is a really old post but i really appreciate this information! You guys saved my butt (or my battery bank anyway)!! I knew if i called Iota id get no answers. Thanks again for this info !