Battery Issue

ILFE
ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
Howdy all,

I have a couple of questions. On my solar array at home (Cambodia), I was just informed that one of my two batteries exploded.

I have my panels connected to a Beta Kid. I had them disconnect the array and then the batteries, via the breakers.

Not sure how I can check anything, being half a world away. But, that isn't the primary concern at the moment.

The primary concern is my panels. If I leave them disconnected from a controller and batteries for up to two months, will they be okay in the sun?

They are wired in series, if that is a question. If it is an issue, I can probably have the landlord throw a blanket, tarp, or something over them.

This is all the information I have at the moment. I wish I had more. I am waiting for further information, though.
Paul

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Battery Issue

For crystalline solar panels, they should be fine just disconnected/turned off.

Boy--Battery exploding. Somebody has some explaining to do/or bodies to bury.

Sorry, :cry:
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will be fine, nothing to worry about. If fact when your charge controller goes into float, it only allows enough current to pass to maintain a voltage level. So this pretty much happens every day when you're there.

...exploding batteries on the other hand... somebody smokes who is taking care of them? Really no answer for exploding batteries... There is a tiny possibility for hydrogen to build up, but pretty much need a very loose connection, or a smoker... some catalyst...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.

Over charging/overheating and not keeping electrolyte (distilled water) levels above plates ("boiling cells dry), can also cause problems.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ILFE
    Photowhit wrote: »
    They will be fine, nothing to worry about. If fact when your charge controller goes into float, it only allows enough current to pass to maintain a voltage level. So this pretty much happens every day when you're there.

...exploding batteries on the other hand... somebody smokes who is taking care of them? Really no answer for exploding batteries... There is a tiny possibility for hydrogen to build up, but pretty much need a very loose connection, or a smoker... some catalyst...

No smoking there. In fact, I don't think anyone on the entire compound (4 homes) smokes at all.

BB. wrote: »
    Over charging/overheating and not keeping electrolyte (distilled water) levels above plates ("boiling cells dry), can also cause problems.

-Bill

Hasn't been a week since I asked them to check and fill the cells. So, IF they did that, and I have no reason to think they haven't, low water couldn't be the cause.

Well, both batteries were removed from the circuit. The panels and controller, I wish I could check.

Currently, I am just a several hours drive away from Midnite. If the controller has an issue, I will have to ship it back to them and then back to me after it is repaired. No way to check it.
    Paul
  • BB.

Any reason to stick metal in the cells (metal thermometer/thermal probe/etc.)?

-Bill
  • ILFE

The only thing they were instructed to do, was to plug in the computer to the inverter, and switch it on during a power cut. Otherwise, the only thing they would have to do, is to add water to the cells. Nothing else was to be done while I was away.
    Paul
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I once discovered that my car's battery had experienced an internal explosion. Still worked fine after the explosion though. Was changing the oil, checking fluid levels etc and something with the battery caught my eye. Second look - - - two of the caps had the centers blown out of them, the battery top was broken part and bulged up at one end. My thoughts at the time: "What The Heck!!!"
    Much thinking brought back the possibility of maybe hearing an unexplained BANG under the hood a couple of weeks before, while I was driving the vehicle. Didn't have a clue what it was at the time as everything continued to work fine.
    Never did come up with an answer as to the cause. Replaced the battery and never happened again.
  • ILFE

In all my years of dealing with batteries, this is the first time - ever, that I have had one to blow up. I mean, LITERALLY, blow up. I still do not have any photos. But, from what gather, the side and top have opened up due to the explosion. It was heard all over the compound where I live.

God, I can't wait to see the photos.
    Paul
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

I had a six volt golf cart battery explode when checking out my system before buying the battery I have now. I was testing the inverter and started a curcular saw and it went boom. My dog wouldn't go in the garage for a week. It took all but about a quarter of the top off and half way down the side at one end was missing and it was very loud. It would make me wonder about riding around on a golf cart with something like this sitting under my butt.
    gww