can i fly with my mid sized copper wires ; in my carry-on bag airport.

Options
pyana1
pyana1 Solar Expert Posts: 39 ✭✭
can i fly with AWG wires in my carry on bag? i've got (4) two gauges, (2) 6 gauge and two more (2) gauge 12inch and lastly (2) 12 gauges?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: can i fly with my mid sized copper wires ; in my carry-on bag airport.

This is the list:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Loops of wire may be OK... Short chunks that look like they may be a weapon--Perhaps not.

In checked baggage, should be OK.

In times past, had problems with screw drivers, hand tools, and such.

-Bill "just reading the website" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can fly with wires. If you can get them past TSA.
    Gee, does that wire look like it is plugged into a deodorant stick ? Sir, step this way for a cavity search.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• pyana1
    pyana1 Solar Expert Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options

lol @ mike95490

just called TSA and was told wires should be fine; just hope they'll accept my combination of sizes and quantity of cords (HIS fingers crossed)
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

Why tempt bad luck?? why not just put all wires in packed luggage?? Ihave been checked out for having more than one cell phone charger. Was told if many they could be uses as a restraint????? Iasked how you get someone to stand still while you tie them up if you have no weapon? NO REPLY
  • Saburai
    Saburai Solar Expert Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Options
    pyana1 wrote: »
    lol @ mike95490

just called TSA and was told wires should be fine; just hope they'll accept my combination of sizes and quantity of cords (HIS fingers crossed)

Operative word is "should". If you don't have it in writing, it's a coin toss, plan for at the least, extra time for the TSA goons to go through your bags and ask questions. Be aware of the potential of them wanting to confiscate your stuff. The only way to be certain that you don't lose your stuff is to bring with you pre paid mailers for the questionable items and allow time to go through screening twice. Why not put it in your checked luggage?

Best

Rich
  • hemmjo
    hemmjo Solar Expert Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Options

I carried a Classic 150 charge controlled and a KISAE inverter through TSA with no problems I had pre-wired the system to be sure it worked then unhooked as little as possible to separate the components. The controller had wires attached, coiled, and zip tied. The inverter was bare. I had the cover on the controller unscrewed and taped closed so it could be easily opened for inspection. I did call to ask TSA about of and they said "if it passes inspection, it can be carried on."

I wanted to carry them on to avoid rough handling AND the $100.00 for overweight bag. I asked at check in, when I checked my other bag, if I could return to check the bag if TSA refused to allow it to pass, so I was prepared to pay the extra bag fee it necessary. TSA was actually very nice, they did joke about all of the wires and duck tape, but I did not make any such jokes. I took them out of the bag and placed them in the trays at the check point. TSA took them to their inspection table and looked them over very good, swabbed them etc. But smiled as they handed them back and said have a good flight.

Good Luck,

John
    Two systems in the Dominican Republic  http://villagemountainmission.org/
    installed Feb 2014 at 19.796189° -70.893594°, Classic 150 + WBJR, KISAE SW1210, MN Battery Monitor, IOTA DLS 55/IQ4,  4- Solar World 275w, 4-6v x 225ah Trace Batteries
    installed Feb 2015 at 19.795733° -70.893372°, same components  as above
    Honda PowerMate PC0497000, 7000/8750w generator - powers the well and chargers maybe once a week