Over equalization?

I have 3 100 watt panels feeding 4 T105 batteries through a C40 controller at my cabin in northern Maine. I manually equalized them in November, when I returned 3 weeks later I discovered I forgot to turn off equalization. They now do not seem to be charging properly. Could I have fried the batteries?

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: Over equalization?
    Gbmason wrote: »
    I have 3 100 watt panels feeding 4 T105 batteries through a C40 controller at my cabin in northern Maine. I manually equalized them in November, when I returned 3 weeks later I discovered I forgot to turn off equalization. They now do not seem to be charging properly. Could I have fried the batteries?
    It will only Equalize for a hour at a time and has to be re-triggered, so your fine unless it got stuck in some way. If the batteries still have any water in them , then it didn't EQ for three weeks. they would very hot.
  • Gbmason
    Gbmason Registered Users Posts: 4

The controller was still in equalize mode (flashing red and green) when I returned. The system's voltage will not go much higher than 12.9.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    The controller was still in equalize mode (flashing red and green) when I returned. The system's voltage will not go much higher than 12.9.
    Sounds like something is wrong with it. The EQ voltage is one volt above the Bulk / Absorb setting. Did they still have water above the plates ?? Is the automatic jumper in place ??

I'd take the battery power off it and let it re-start and then test it.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Are they arranged 4S(in series) or 2SX2P ? ie 24V or 12V configuration?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Gbmason
    westbranch wrote: »
    Are they arranged 4S(in series) or 2SX2P ? ie 24V or 12V configuration?

2sx2p 12 volt. I don't know for sure if it's the controller, could be? With the system fully connected I get the battery voltage through to the panel connection point, typically around 12-13 volts. When I disconnect the panels from the system I get 22v at the panel connection point. Thanks all for your inputs.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

1). Check electrolyte level in batteries.
    2). Check SG of every cell.
    3). Bypass charge controller and see if batteries charge (you must watch this carefully).
    4). In future do not use EQ unless needed.
    5). Get enough PV to actually charge the batteries: 300 Watts isn't going to do it for 450 Amp hours @ 12 Volts. You need closer to 800 Watts.
  • Gbmason
    1). Check electrolyte level in batteries.
    2). Check SG of every cell.
    3). Bypass charge controller and see if batteries charge (you must watch this carefully).
    4). In future do not use EQ unless needed.
    5). Get enough PV to actually charge the batteries: 300 Watts isn't going to do it for 450 Amp hours @ 12 Volts. You need closer to 800 Watts.

I've checked electrolyte levels all ok
    I tried to check SG, but my tester wasn't reading, the "bobber" stayed on bottom.
    So I should connect the panels directly to the batteries and monitor them?
    Definitely will not EQ but 2 or3 times a year.
    I have 2 more 100 watt panels to install in the spring. Maybe I should purchase 3 more.

Thanks a lot.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Sounds like you need to thoroughly clean your hydrometer, or replace it. Vital tool, that.

Connecting the panels directly will tell you if the charge controller has failed. But you will have to monitor the battery Voltage and disconnect whenever it rises to 15 Volts. Don't just hook it up and walk away. After a day of that you should see a rise in SG and Voltage. If not, the batteries are ruined.

The C40 may need to be replaced anyway if you actually go for full 45 Amps of current. This is where you start re-evaluating the whole system, beginning with loads and how much actual battery capacity you need. It may even be time to bite the bullet and go up to 24 Volts.
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭

The C40 automatically shuts off equalization after 2 hours so you should be fine.

Either you have a problem with the C40 or it was somehow set to 24 volts and the batteries never got to that voltage.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.