wind turbine and the solar go into separate battery terminals.

mahendra
mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
:confused::confused:

Can someone please explain what will be the issue/s if this specific scenario was not satisfied.For example let say i am using an e-panel which to my knowledge will not satisfy this scenario.

i noticed some wind turbine manufacturers state this on their product manual.
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Re: wind turbine and the solar go into separate battery terminals.
    mahendra wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Can someone please explain what will be the issue/s if this specific scenario was not satisfied.For example let say i am using an e-panel which to my knowledge will not satisfy this scenario.

i noticed some wind turbine manufacturers state this on their product manual.
    Thank you in advance.

Unless I am misunderstanding what is being asked........No it does not matter. All sources can connect directly to the battery. It is usually a code violation to put more than one conductor under a lug (lug has to be listed for multiple conductors and most are not) so not sure if that is what they are getting at. Another possibility is that they are saying to NOT connect a wind turbine through a (non wind) charge controller?
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

Your post is hard for me to understand what want to know. I have two 48 volt turbines that are made to charge a 48 volt battery. I ran them strait to the battery and have solar through battery chargers. I only have one battery bank. If you are talking of hooking a turbine and solar to a single cc like the classic, I would think the differrent voltages would hurt your production. that is why when adding panels you always want them to match. If you are talking about a controller that allows both solar and wind to be connected at the same time, I can't answer. If you are wondering if you have to have two battery banks if you have both wind and solar, you don't.

Not sure what you are asking.
    gww
  • mahendra

yes i think i have the answer.
    for clarification no ,not putting both the turbine and panels on a single charger assuming the panels are one one charger and the turbine is on another.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each type of device (PV, Wind, Hydro) needs to have it's own controller.
    You can connect outputs of several controllers to 1 battery bank (via the bolt on terminals, or at your DC breaker box. I have 4 charging sources and one inverter connected to battery.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mahendra

that is what i have also,but was worried what the statement implies,since i am adding a wind turbine to the system which have it sown charge controller.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

m......
    The charger that comes with the wind turbine may need to be programed to have simular settings as you have on your other controllers. If the turbine controller dumps with a divertion load from the battery bank and not from the turbine, the voltage on the turbine would need to be a bit higher then the rest of your chargers or the other chargers will never finnish ccharging your batteries.
    Gww