Wire / Cable: Best deals online?

ILFE
ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
This morning, it hit me that my new Morningstar SureSine Inverters will not arrive with battery cables.

Anyone know of the best deals online for wire / cable?
Paul

Comments

• 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Re: Wire / Cable: Best deals online?

I got my wire from TemCo via eBay. I think it was $150 for 30' of 4/O. For smaller wire like 4AWG and smaller, I use Parts Express, since I order from them a lot and I used to live 20 miles from their warehouse.
  • kansas
    kansas Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭

Check be make sure there is not an electrical wholesaler in your area before you order online. Wire is heavy and shipping expensive. I've found that the wholesale shops will sell wire if you know what/ how much you want before you go in and you act like you know what you're doing. (That's a pretty good trick for me about 90% of the time). That said, I have ordered online from wireandcabletogo.com. Their per foot price for 6 AWG THNN is $0.51/ ft. 4/0 AWG is $3.86/ft, plus shipping. My local wholesaler was a few cents higher per foot, but no freight. FWIW Bill
    Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.
  • ToManyTrees
    ToManyTrees Registered Users Posts: 24

I also used Wire & Cable to go, best i could find.

http://www.wireandcabletogo.com/Welding-Cable/

TMT / Paul
  • ILFE

Thanks, guys, for the replies. Truly appreciated.
    Paul
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭

You will save a significant amount if you learn to make your own cables. You can get a manual crimper for less than $30. Zinc coated copper lugs are pretty cheap. Just make sure all the matching cables are the same length. Then heat up "rubber wire covers/shrink wrap" to protect exposed wires. I found mine on Ebay from some guy called, roughly, Missouri Solar and Wind. He quickly made good on the first crimper that had a problem.

Pre-made battery connector cables are exorbitant when you need a bunch. Use at least 2 AWG wire if you can. Bigger is better. Wire to inverter should likely be 4/0....really big. Don't use wire that is more than a few inches longer than needed.

Use-2 solar wires from Temco on Ebay had the best prices. Easy return policy though I decided to keep them.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • ILFE

Thanks, man. I found Temco on eBay. They do offer a wide variety of cables, lugs, etc.
    Paul