Fork lift batteries can you reconfigure a 36 or 48 volt battery for 24 volts?

Options
90cummins
90cummins Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭
I've been looking at used fork lift batteries on e-bay for my 24v battery backup system.
I see a lot of 36 and 48 volts batteries and the photos show covers over the interconnecting buss bars.
If I was to buy a 48v battery pack could I split the pack in two?
Are these connections removable to allow this?
Or is it a permanent lead cast connection?
Has anyone done this?

Thanks
90cummins

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Fork lift batteries can you reconfigure a 36 or 48 volt battery for 24 volts?
    90cummins wrote: »
    I've been looking at used fork lift batteries on e-bay for my 24v battery backup system.
    I see a lot of 36 and 48 volts batteries and the photos show covers over the interconnecting buss bars.
    If I was to buy a 48v battery pack could I split the pack in two?
    Are these connections removable to allow this?
    Or is it a permanent lead cast connection?
    Has anyone done this?

Thanks
    90cummins
    Unless it was a special made battery ( HUP 1 and others ) with removable cells and bolt on connectors the interconnects are soldered on the posts and are permanent to a point.

To remove a cell interconnect you use a hole saw or a counter bore that cuts the ring off the end of the interconnect and leaves the post sized where you can slip on a new interconnect and re-solder. Since you don't like opinions, google up a .PDF on how to do it. Most Industrial Battery Maintenance Manuals have instructions. The bigger trick in how to get the cells out of the case.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,446 admin
    Options
    Re: Fork lift batteries can you reconfigure a 36 or 48 volt battery for 24 volts?

And many large format cells require a "metal box" for structural support--you should not let the cells be free standing once you separate them.

One person here got 36 volt batteries, cut out the bad cells (cut out bus bars/cabled up alternate connections?) for a 24 battery, and kept the "extra good cells" as spares.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

Photowhit posted a great vidio of drilling out the connections and re-torching a new battery in but I can't find the thread it was in. You might check you tube to see how it is done.
    gww
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here's the link, I think...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.