QUICK! Is FMC (Flexible Metal Conduit) ok per code through attic and walls?

HX_Guy
HX_Guy Solar Expert Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
My installer says that's it not, and that EMT is required for use inside the attic and in the wall.

The permit wiring diagram shows:

1" EMT / FMC (9)

(9) METALLIC CONDUIT SHALL BE USED WITHIN BUILDING PER NEC 690.31(E).

Section 690.31(E) seems to say it's ok, it just needs to be hung at least 10" below the decking: http://www.homepower.com/2011-nec-section-69031e

Am I missing something here? All things seem to point to it being ok.

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: QUICK! Is FMC (Flexible Metal Conduit) ok per code through attic and walls?

Code varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and from inspector to inspector. Some areas are very difficult. Others don't even require a building permit. You have tried to do a good install. I doubt that your inspector will do anything more than ask for a modification or two....if anything.

But you never know what an inspector will do. Sometimes they are busy and sign off without really checking things. Sometimes they pitch a tent on your property if things are slow.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

FMC is ok in the code as far as I know. Just not common in residential as simple jacketed cable is the standard.
    My leasing company doesn't like it though as they've had instances of guys yanking on it and opening up the flex.
    Also need to use THHN wire in the flex conduit as USE-2 is not smoke rated and can't be used inside a structure.
  • HX_Guy
    HX_Guy Solar Expert Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys, as you probably saw in my other thread, I did go ahead with the 1" FMC and I am running THWN-2 wire through it.