generator recommendations

jtdiesel65
jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
What is a good 8-10k propane generator for offgrid use with a schneider AGS? I see some posts indicating generac voids their warranties if used off grid. Is that typical. Interested in any reviews on durability plus ability to wire into an AGS.

thx

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: generator recommendations

Voiding warranties for off grid use appears to becoming the "standard" (Kohler).

propane generator warranty for off-grid application

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Something that is liquid cooled, has a kohler 4 pole alternator, so the motor only has to turn at 1800rpm and you wont need a warranty.

I worked on liquid cooled diesel powered 4 pole generators for years that had 5.5 and 6.5kw output, so don't think that you wont find one smaller than 18 to 20 kw. Those 20kw units are just the most common.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

My water cooled 1,800 rpm 20 Kw Cummins Onan is approved for solar applications up to a certain number of hours.

My opinion is they are very well engineered units but cost a little more. The difference amortized over 15 years is a footnote.

Have no experience with their smaller gensets but worth the investigation.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭
    oil pan 4 wrote: »
    Something that is liquid cooled, has a kohler 4 pole alternator, so the motor only has to turn at 1800rpm and you wont need a warranty.

I worked on liquid cooled diesel powered 4 pole generators for years that had 5.5 and 6.5kw output, so don't think that you wont find one smaller than 18 to 20 kw. Those 20kw units are just the most common.

This was a popular genset for awhile: http://salestores.com/yamahaed.html

1/2 gallon/hr fuel usage with up to 55 amps of AC power. A "Big Boy" genset is nice at times. Rarely need more power than that. Had a fairly easy time finding mine on Ebay. Got lucky...it was less than 100 miles away.

I have a cheaper gas genset in the same class. Uses twice as much fuel. Cost about 1/6 as much.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • CaptClarke
    CaptClarke Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭

http://www.wricointernational.com/generators_coach/coach_8kw.html

I had a 10KW version of the above generator in my RV . About 1/2 gal / hr when charging batteries and running 2 air conditioners. Never had a problem with it (about 4,000 hours ) when I was full timing it.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

The 5.5kw Kubota diesels with 4 pole Kohler generators I worked on would run a 2kw load at about 1/3 gallon per hour of fuel.
    I think a few modifications could reduce that down to 0.2 to 0.25 gallons per hour easy.
    At around 20,000 hours I would start to see isolated cases of generator failure.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.