Solar Fight Help

Attention Current and Future Investor/Owner of Solar:

There is currently a petition before the New Mexico Public Regulation Commission, that if approved, would undermine the

economics of "going solar" and potentially stymie future growth. This petition would allow the utility (PNM) to charge a

monthly "grid-tie connect" fee and other charges. See the attached PDF file.Attachment not found.

I am asking that YOU go to this link http://www.nmprc.state.nm.us/commissioners/index.html and send the following letter

to the 5 Commission members.

Dear Chairperson:
As a present investor/owner of Solar, I ask that your vote be cast in such a manner that It does not
hinder or negatively impact the incentive for future Solar development on one's business or home.
I understand that there is a petition by PNM for consideration by The Commission. This petition
deals with "a potential grid-tie penalty" and other " cost-shifting" by PNM to the small
business/homeowner. I ask that You NOT cast a vote that will put More burden on Solar
development or the small business/homeowner.

Sincerely,
A Concerned Citizen

A Great Big Thank You! for Your support on this matter.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Solar Fight Help

Yep... Business model for Solar involves subsidies. Businesses are going to lobby the government to change who pays/receives the subsidies.

Will make solar (at least home based grid tied solar), and to a degree conservation, less economically viable.

Wonder if they will drop the $/kWH rates and make the minimum service charge/reservation charge for all residential. Commercial customers in many locations have been paying these types of fees/billing systems (high monthly fixed costs and lower variable $/kWH power costs) for decades (at least in California).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Now let's be fair..... Solar does impact the grid and there are costs involved. However, there are also costs incurred on society by the dirty old, non-renewable energy sources and they should pay their fair share as well. How does ~$1000 per year per person to cover the nationwide health affects of coal burning. Any utilities paying the costs of long-term nuclear storage yet? (or even figured out how it will be done?) Who knows what the costs of climate change could be.... Oh ya, let's be fair! The old line power industry has been getting huge subsidies as we've looked the other way to their problems. Its just there used to be no good alternatives. Now, we need to get over the old standard of reliable, plentiful, temporary cheap power delivered by a centralized grid and raise the standard to reliable, plentiful, renewable, a-little-more-expensive power shared by a network of distributed producers.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is it gets shot down, but with a wink and a nod to higher user fees for the infrastructure (delivery costs, lines, poles, transfer stations) and, perhaps lower per unit Kwh energy fees. Much as Bill has said. User fees here are $25 and going to $32 per months, making batteries based systems more comparable....
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • KE5YD
    KE5YD Solar Expert Posts: 32 ✭✭

Hello Again,
    Has anyone received a CONFIRMATION of their email being received? If You have already "sent the letter"; then Thank You! If Not, it's easy;
    just click the initial link to go to the page, then click the link there that says "Email all 5 Commissioners at once". This will open up YOUR email program with the 5 email addresses already in place; then do a "Copy and Paste" from HERE of the suggested letter into your email, THEN Send!
    Easy huh? THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!.....................
  • KE5YD

No Email Confirmations Yet?? I FEAR that YOUR emails have been screened/filtered for having been sent by Only New Mexico residents; although
    THIS issue could affect US ALL. I Thank You for trying, I guess the only sure way to make your voice heard from outside New Mexico would be to
    phone 1 or 2 directly. Their phone numbers are on the initial link page. Again, Thanks for trying!
  • jeffkruse
    jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I am a resident and just sent the letter. If I get a response I will let you know.
  • jeffkruse
    jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I did get a response. Same day.

Mr. Kruse
    Thank you for contacting our office. I will forward your e-mail to the records department so it can be attached to the PNM case.
    Thank you,
    Mr.Arcy M. Baca
    Executive Assistant to Commissioner Espinoza
    arcy.baca@state.nm.us
    Phone (505)827-4533
    Fax (505)827-4463
  • KE5YD

Thanks Jeff! I also had received an acknowledgment; but had sent mine IN a little differently. Now WE know. We'll see what develops? Have a
    Good Day...........