New to solar power

Options
01helder
01helder Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello everyone I'm new here and want to give solar power a chance. The first project I'm trying to work on will be to solar power my pool. Can anyone help me with what I need? It is a 1hp motor, 115 volts and 11.0 amps. Am I missing anything if not please let me know what I need to do this.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: New to solar power

Welcome to the forum Helder!

First: Do not spend any money yet until you have researched the issues.

Second: Work on conservation and reduction of energy usage.

I do not have a pool, and I am no expert, but most pools have larger motors than they need (general circulation/filtering/heating usually need 1/2 the size pump typically installed). So using a multi-speed pool motor and/or a high tech PM motor + controller (Permanent Magnet Motors can be 20% more efficient and may have variable speed out out of the box with the controller), and/or Induction Motor + VFD (Variable Frequency Drive--Basically an AC inverter that outputs three phase power with variable frequency--Dial the "motor speed" you need at that time you need it).

Lots of research to do here:
    Swimming pool pump
    Solar Pool Pumping
    Lorentz PS600 Photovoltaic Pool Pump System

You can use the Google Site Tag to limit searches to a particular web site:

site:solar-electric.com swimming pool pump

We have a lot more threads than just the above about pool pumps.

Next is your heating source... For most people a simple plastic/rubber solar collector on a roof (something like 50% to 100% of poos surface area) will keep the pool warm for 9 months of the year. These solar collectors do not last much more than something like 5-10 years, but are pretty cheap and simple to replace as needed (from what little I have seen).

You can also use the pool as a heat sink/source for your home's AC system--But that is probably beyond what most people need (hot pool in summer from AC, freezing cold pool in winter as heat from water used to heat home).

Lastly, which was your first question... Solar Electric Power. In general, if you are interested in saving money, a Grid Tied Inverter type solar system (solar panels+Grid Tie AC inverter connected to your home's AC power panel, no battery bank and no backup AC power if you lose utility power).

Depending on your local power costs (if you are with TVA--Some of the lowest power costs in the US, last I have heard), GT solar may break even or save you a bit of money.

If you want off grid AC power (panels+solar charge controller+battery bank+AC inverter)... In general, will not save you money. For many people, Off Grid AC power costs something like 10x that cost of Grid/Utility power. Another reason we push conservation and measuring your loads before you spend one $ on the solar side of the project.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would not use a conventional grossly over sized single phase very inefficient pool pump in the conventional way at all.

The real question:
    How much money do you have to spend on this?

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just bought Solar Water Heating by Bob Ramlow. Pretty cheap from Amazon. Your local library may also have several books regarding solar. Heating water is a lot simpler than making, and using electricity.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    01helder wrote: »
    The first project I'm trying to work on ? It is a 1hp motor, 115 volts and 11.0 amps. .

Welcome to the forum "helder". As suggested, don't spend any money yet - -
    To be honest, trying to run that motor is going to require a relatively huge and very expensive solar system. If you only run it 12 hours a day, that's still around 1000 or more watts. And that would add up to 12 Kwh per day. Most off grid solar homes use 4 Kwh or less per 24 hour day. If you want to run it at night or during cloudy weather - - then you'll be looking at a far more expensive system with a far "hugher" solar array and a huge battery bank. And along with all this, there will be charge controllers, inverters etc.
    Unfortunately most folks don't realize how expensive off grid solar is, or that it's a lot more expensive than buying grid power.
    This post is just to give you a heads up so you won't have a heart attack when the actual $ estimates are posted.