Watt meter install?

I have the source to the battery and the load to the charge controller, but I'm not getting a amp reading from the panel to the meter. How do I wire it to get the amp reading? . The way everyone else set it up it seemed that from battery to charge controller it would gather all the other reading.

Comments

• CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Re: Watt meter install?

It's a WATT meter , & for amps your missing parts for the shunt .
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Can you tell us more about the meter (brand/model, picture of the back, etc.)?

If it is similar to Doc Watson, you can read about connecting them here:

http://www.rc-electronics-usa.com/meter-connections.html

The meter could either require the full current to pass through it (shunt internal to meter), or it could require an external shunt to measure the current, and a couple small wires from the shunt to the meter (meter measures 10's of milli-Volts of drop across the shunt).

Remember that you need a "load" to draw current from the solar panels/array (charge controller with a battery needing charging, etc.). If there is no "load", there is no current flow.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Captain chunky
    Captain chunky Registered Users Posts: 18

I had the load on the wrong side reading battery voltage only. Reversed wiring to the battery charging configuration and vuala.