120v inverter 7.5kav

UAE_Boy
UAE_Boy Registered Users Posts: 20
Hi
I have an inverter 7.5kav , 120v battery input ,how can use the charge controller MPPT to charge the battery bank .

can I use two charger by take half of the batteries to one charger in parallel and the remains to other charger

Please I need some helps :cry:

Thank you

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: 120v inverter 7.5kav

Welcome to the forum.

Your 7.5kW inverter runs on how much DC? Ought to be 48 Volts for one that large.

An MPPT type charge controller is powered by solar panels and a good one is capable of charging a 48 Volt battery bank. The missing information is both the DC Voltage and the Amp hour capacity of the bank.

If you are looking for a way to charge the battery from an AC source such as grid or generator then that is another matter; no MPPT is involved.

In either case the inverter size doesn't really matter.
  • UAE_Boy

Dc input is 12v battery 200Ah ,10 units connected in series {The Sukam inverter 7.5KVA/120V unit operates on a standard battery bank of 10 (No.) 12V batteries.}

Is there no problem to use two charger connected in parallel with the 48v and another connected in parallel with 72v in the same battery bank

Thank you

Welcome to the forum.

Your 7.5kW inverter runs on how much DC? Ought to be 48 Volts for one that large.

An MPPT type charge controller is powered by solar panels and a good one is capable of charging a 48 Volt battery bank. The missing information is both the DC Voltage and the Amp hour capacity of the bank.

If you are looking for a way to charge the battery from an AC source such as grid or generator then that is another matter; no MPPT is involved.

In either case the inverter size doesn't really matter.
  • Cariboocoot
    UAE_Boy wrote: »
    Dc input is 12v battery 200Ah ,10 units connected in series {The Sukam inverter 7.5KVA/120V unit operates on a standard battery bank of 10 (No.) 12V batteries.}

Is there no problem to use two charger connected in parallel with the 48v and another connected in parallel with 72v in the same battery bank

Thank you

Ah, now I see what the problem is: the inverter is powered by nominal 120 VDC.
    That ends up being ten 12 Volt connections or five 24 Volt connections. You can't do it from 48 Volts because it would be 'two and a half'.

Yes, it can be done. But there is a precaution which must be taken: the positive and negative of each and every charge controller and array must be isolated from one another, including any negative ground connections. This may be a problem.

Basically every second 12 Volt battery would be a 24 Volt set. Each of the five sets would have one 30 Amp controller and either 700 Watts of panel if using PWM type controllers or 623 Watts of panel if using MPPT type. In either case the Vmp of the array set needs to be around 35.

You'd end up with five 30 Amp controllers and 3116 Watts of panel to do this.
  • UAE_Boy

Can you please explain it in details (Yes, it can be done. But there is a precaution which must be taken: the positive and negative of each and every charge controller and array must be isolated from one another, including any negative ground connections. This may be a problem.)

Ah, now I see what the problem is: the inverter is powered by nominal 120 VDC.
    That ends up being ten 12 Volt connections or five 24 Volt connections. You can't do it from 48 Volts because it would be 'two and a half'.

Yes, it can be done. But there is a precaution which must be taken: the positive and negative of each and every charge controller and array must be isolated from one another, including any negative ground connections. This may be a problem.

Basically every second 12 Volt battery would be a 24 Volt set. Each of the five sets would have one 30 Amp controller and either 700 Watts of panel if using PWM type controllers or 623 Watts of panel if using MPPT type. In either case the Vmp of the array set needs to be around 35.

You'd end up with five 30 Amp controllers and 3116 Watts of panel to do this.
  • Cariboocoot
    Can you please explain it in details (Yes, it can be done. But there is a precaution which must be taken: the positive and negative of each and every charge controller and array must be isolated from one another, including any negative ground connections. This may be a problem.)

It is normal for a system to have one negative and one positive at the total Voltage with no connections to any interim Voltages between batteries. In this case the 120 Volt battery bank is broken into five segments but only for charging purposes. This means that the negative and positive of each array and controller must go only to their respective battery segment. It is very easy to make a mistake and have a common negative connection for example which in this case would be a dead short across another controller & thus battery.

I think I'll have to draw a schematic for this.
  • Cariboocoot

Something like this.
  • UAE_Boy

Thank you very much for your help
    by the way why I should use fuse breaker
    Something like this.
  • Cariboocoot
    Thank you very much for your help
    by the way why I should use fuse breaker

Every circuit should have a fuse or circuit breaker on it for over-current protection. In this case you have five separate charging circuits and each needs its own protection. Should something go wrong in the charge controller, for example, the batteries will not be able to dump their full current potential into a short and start a fire.

The same goes for the PV array circuits, depending on their configuration.

Of course the inverter should have similar protection as well.
  • UAE_Boy

Thank you to get me in the right way my first experiment in the solar system was depend on lite bit of information , no fuse breaks even no cut off switch .
    Thank you again and forgive me because of my questions

http://www.m5zn.com/newuploads/2013/12/26/jpg//6769a1b1b1b7386.jpg

http://www.m5zn.com/newuploads/2014/01/11/jpg//fb7e2c0d1ace14c.jpg
    Every circuit should have a fuse or circuit breaker on it for over-current protection. In this case you have five separate charging circuits and each needs its own protection. Should something go wrong in the charge controller, for example, the batteries will not be able to dump their full current potential into a short and start a fire.

The same goes for the PV array circuits, depending on their configuration.

Of course the inverter should have similar protection as well.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe there are some 120 volt charge controllers out there;

Search for;

Morningstar; TS-MPPT-60-600V-120 Not sure if it's in production yet, it's in the catalog for this year!

And The "Midnite Classic 250KS" I think this one is in production.

Likely The good people at Arizona Wind & Sun can search these for you!

There are even some older discontinued CCs from Specialty concepts and Helios(?)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

At this time, the 250 KS is marked (don't know if 2013 or 2014), I was going to suggest it:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/printProduct.php?product_ID=259&productCatName=Charge%20Controllers&productCat_ID=21

Product: CLASSIC 250KS

classic_thumb.jpg

Price: $950.00

FEATURES:

Effective January 1st the Classic 250KS will be discontinued due to low volume and increased support.

250 volt maximum operating voltage

Max current out: 35 amps

ETL listed to UL1741 and CSA

12-120V battery

Built in DC-GFP and Arc Fault Detector

Solar, wind and hydro MPPT modes

Check out the Classic Power Rating Charts

Ships with MidNite Battery Temperature sensor, USB cable (for installing firmware), Quick Start installation guide and a complete Manual on CD.

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • UAE_Boy

Thank you for the help and I will post my new experiment details .

BB. wrote: »
    At this time, the 250 KS is marked (don't know if 2013 or 2014), I was going to suggest it:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/printProduct.php?product_ID=259&productCatName=Charge%20Controllers&productCat_ID=21
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I believe there are some 120 volt charge controllers out there;

Search for;

Morningstar; TS-MPPT-60-600V-120 Not sure if it's in production yet, it's in the catalog for this year!

And The "Midnite Classic 250KS" I think this one is in production.

Likely The good people at Arizona Wind & Sun can search these for you!

There are even some older discontinued CCs from Specialty concepts and Helios(?)
  • Cariboocoot

Yes, the 250KS will do 120 Volts maximum. I rather thought given the OP's location it may not be an option (standard controllers more readily available). He could also use two 48 Volt controllers and one 24. Or one 12 Volt apiece.

It would make an interesting study to see which results in more consistent charging of such a large battery bank: multiple individual controllers or one large unit. We use cell management on lithium batteries and we know that FLA's get out of balance cell-to-cell (but do not suffer catastrophic effects from minor variances) so arguably the multiple controllers may result in a more consistently charged bank with fewer variations between segments.

But that is an academic matter perhaps for another thread.
  • UAE_Boy

Hi

Thanks guys for the help and these are the results in this case I used 5KaV inverter 96V
    two charge controller PWM morning start 60A ,8 solar panels 250W and 8 batteries 12V each .
    3fd7034a6d9037f.jpg

7c822433accf3cb.jpg

cf478fc84de8562.jpg

8a722390df1e02c.jpg

515f124a6d277fd.jpg

Thanks

UAE BOy