Batteries gurgling during absorb

Options
2twisty
2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
I have 8 6v GC2s wired in series to 48v. I'm in absorb right now and my Classic says the voltage is 55.6V.

Every few seconds, one of the batteries makes a gurling sound, as though there was a bubble of gas deep in the battery that suddenly came loose.

I've never noticed this before, but I've rarely had it quiet enough in here to hear something of this volume during absorb.

Is this normal? If not, what does it mean and what should I do about it?

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Batteries gurgling during absorb

Ah Twisty, I'd have to say it's totally normal. These are flooded type batteries and it's normal for gassing to take place during absorb. And if you think they're noisy now - - wait till it's quiet and they're in EQ mode! This bubbling/ gurgling is actually an important part of charging flooded type batteries as it mixes the electrolyte to prevent, or "repair" stratification of the electrolyte.
  • 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Options

OK. I thought it might be, but since I had never heard it before, I was concerned.

Thanks!
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

Knowing that those pockets of hydrogen / oxygen exist between the plates makes for a good argument to " Burp " the batteries every once in a while to break it loose. I'll give mine a rap with a rubber mallet or a little bounce and everyone will release a bunch. Not sure how much damage they do,if any, but for sure they effect capacity.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My battery shed sounds like a pit full of snakes, hissing and bubbling..
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

try this link:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?15475

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • HandyBob
    HandyBob Banned Posts: 31
    Options

That voltage is way too low for absorption with short hours of solar charging. Do some research and you will find that up around 59V is correct. At 55.6 you will suffer sulfation problems and early failure. The bubbling is a good thing, as was said earlier.