MPPT for small mobile solar chargers?

trumpetq
trumpetq Registered Users Posts: 2
I'm curious about small mobile solar chargers, under 20W (like Anker, etc USB or 12V panels) and whether MPPT is practical to utilize for such small scale panels. Anker advertises their "PowerIQ" technology for faster device charging, which I assume is just a charge controller and not MPPT, but my Anker 14W USB panel doesn't seem to put out even close to 14W. I bought a Portapow USB power monitor to test the current and in full, direct sun it only seems to get up to 1 or 1.5A at the USB 5V. Is that much power lost in the conversion or inefficiency? I usually am charging a 15mA battery pack (also Anker brand, the Astro E5), so is it just that it doesn't draw that much current?

Forgive my low level of knowledge...I'm just starting to get into solar.

JQ

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: MPPT for small mobile solar chargers?

No not really practical.

I suspect a 14 watt panel for a 5 volt output would likely be doing good to put out 1.5 amps, 2 amps max which is the specs...

If it's an older unit the usb might even be limited to 1 amp(older USB standards).
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • trumpetq
    trumpetq Registered Users Posts: 2
    Re: MPPT for small mobile solar chargers?

For what it's worth, I've discovered that the Joos Orange uses MPPT. It's a small portable panel with integrated battery pack. I'm curious how much it makes a difference, since it seems they get pretty good results for the very small size and wattage rating the device is. The tech specs page calls it "Maximum PV Power Point Management":
    http://solarjoos.com/tech-specs