12 Volt bank with 4 post batteries

Options
williamgsullivan
williamgsullivan Registered Users Posts: 5
Can you draw me a diagram taking 6 2v 4 post batteries to make 12v in a parallel
configurations

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Add starting bank charging to solar system
    Can you draw me a diagram taking 6 2v 4 post batteries to make 12v in a parallel
    configurations
    With 6 2volt you just have 1 - 12 volt string...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • williamgsullivan
    Options

Sure can you help me hook them in a parallel configurations. Remember they are 4 post 2+ and 2-
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

I've split this off to its own thread to reduce confusion.

There is no reason for a cell to have four posts except for connection purposes. In other words the two positive posts are electrically interchangeable as are the two negative posts. As such the series connection is the same as with any other batteries: (-)BATT(+)--(-)BATT(+) et cetera.

If you have the specific make/model of battery and/or a picture of same we can check and make sure there are no other factors at work, such as the batteries not being what we think they are.
  • williamgsullivan
    Options
    newbie: six 2 Volt 600Ah Solar Battery - UB260002

I need help with a diagram I have six 2 Volt 600Ah Solar Battery - UB260002 they have 4 post 2+ and 2- I want make them 12v in a parallel configurations
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: newbie: six 2 Volt 600Ah Solar Battery - UB260002

William,

I moved the discussion to your own thread... Should make things a little clearer.

Are these your batteries?

http://www.powerstridebattery.com/ub26000-2-volt-600-amp-hour-solar-battery

Attachment not found.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

And I've merged it with the other thread I created for the OP split off from his inquiry in yet another thread, and also deleted a third redundant posting of the same question in yet another thread.

Let's not be asking the same question all over the place, eh?
  • Photowhit
    Options

Just to clarify, lead acid cells are 2 volt nominal, so a 1 amp hour lead acid cell has 1 cell and a 600amp hour lead acid cell is 2 volts...

...hence the 2 positive terminals are connected internally as are the negative. I suspect the setup is for ease of installation and you can use either terminal, I am glad they come with a cap/top! helps limit the shorting possibilities.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 12 Volt bank with 4 post batteries

PW, a lot of telecom AGM batteries are 2 posts per + and 2 per -... all mine are....

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Photowhit
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    PW, a lot of telecom AGM batteries are 2 posts per + and 2 per -... all mine are....

I'm not sure where this comes into play, if your referring to a higher voltage battery made of many cells, that would be different. likely extra terminals for ease of installation, much as I suggested for the single cell of the OP. It doesn't change that the OP's 2v lead acid cells, must be either 2 none connected 2 volt cells(though unlikely), 2 cells in parallel with 2 each, common terminals(Trojan does this with out the common extra terminals, stupid design IMHO) or 1 cell with 2 sets of terminals.

The point I was trying to clarify are that lead acid batteries are made up of 2 volt cells.

I thought I was clarifying this, but perhaps I have confused you?

Different battery chemistries have different 'normal' voltages for each cell lead acid runs 2.1 volts, NiCD is 1.2 volts, NiMH is 1.25 volts, Lithium(NMC) runs 3.6 volts, LiFePo 3.25 volts, all voltages are rough may vary by trace elements in design.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

If you take a digital Voltage meter and measure between the two positive (or two negative) posts it should read zero Volts. That means the posts are a common connection point and can be used interchangeably. The only shortcoming would be an issue of current handling where the parallel connections would be needed for very high currents (and/or smaller wiring). So yes, the dual posts are an installation facilitation.
  • williamgsullivan
    Options

Yes I have 6 of them I want make them 12v in a parallel configurations
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Yes I have 6 of them I want make them 12v in a parallel configurations

If you have six 2 Volt cells you only have one 12 Volt string:

(-)BATTERY(+)--(-)BATTERY(+)--(-)BATTERY(+)--(-)BATTERY(+)--(-)BATTERY(+)--(-)BATTERY(+)

Parallel doesn't enter into it because you need all six in series to get 12 Volts.
  • williamgsullivan
    Options

Thank You that was what I couldn't understand