Solar panel newbie questions

Options
dalton2323
dalton2323 Registered Users Posts: 1
Im looking at putting 2 solar panels on my hunting blind. I ordered two 12 volt panels (link from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Sealed-Battery-Charger-UV87511/dp/B003LZ4IK4) and im going to connect it to a 12 volt battery. I would like to be able to power an xm transmitter and my be able to charge my phone. Both draw 5 volts.

Do i need a charger controller? I dont really know what they're for. I googled it.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar panel newbie questions

I think your probably okay with out one, your money would have been better spent on spare batteries for the xm and phone. This is defined as a trickle charger, and it appears to be 6x8 and amorphous, so likely a 2 watt panels. Most often blinds are setup in the shade so with out direct sunlight this will not contribute much.

There are a plethora of battery packs available these days, and personally I'd suggest returning the panels and buying a large lithium battery pack that you can charge at home and use with the xm and phone or 2 smaller ones, leave one at camp to charge and take one with you. If you wanted to do solar charging, you could even find a 6v solar panel and put a simple voltage regulator on it to 5v which likely is charging current for both of these, since I think both will charge off a USB port.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar panel newbie questions

Actually someone posted in the Q and A that the specs are;

The spec for this is 60-70mA, so P=IE, 12v*0.070A = 0.84W, less than 1W

I'd say it would be worthless in the shade, and nearly so in the sun. No worries about directly connecting unless your connecting to a very small battery.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.