Schneider/Xantrex 4024, very noisy.

solorone
solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
[from moderator: Found noise was due to installation. Suggest leaving as information for others. -Bill B.]
solorone wrote: »
I would like the Mods to remove this thread. I am sorry to have besmirched the Schneider name. The 4024 is very quite under 2 KW, but still louder than the trace at 3.25 KW.
Mea Culpa !! Have been away after writing the OP. I am in serious error about the noise. The noise was coming from a large wiring box that has a door on it and is directly under the inverter. The junction box was moved to make room and possible put in a bit of a bind, the electricity caused a vibration within the box and with its lid. I discovered this today as the last new controller was added and the last array came on line. Frankly I am embarrassed by my oversight, but the room is small and serves as laundry, pantry and control center, so one is just surrounded by the noise, plus the sound resonated through the Schneider to the touch.

Having shipped 3 of these this year Now it was my turn to replace my beloved 16 YO Trace 4024, it was reverently cleaned, wrapped in plastic and replaced into its original box and packing. While the new unit is robust and works very well giving much more metered data than the Trace , I can not get over how loud it is compared to the old 4024. Also the meter is poorly designed, while using a surface mounting, the Xantrex expects you to cut a hole in the wall for the rear entry of the data cable. For a retro fit it would be a lot easier to make a bottom access available. In the end we had to build a wall mounted box to accommodate the proper radius recommended for the wire. You would think that the company would recognize that many of these units are being installed as replacements, that is about all I do now, seems the last few years my old customers have been updating their systems.. I am now considering some foam around the inverter cabinet to dampen the sound. As my home design/layout is 32 years old we were not even dreaming of the electronics we have now, our pantry is the control center and it is getting crowded.

Comments

• CALLD
    CALLD Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Re: Schneider/Xantrex 4024, very noisy.

My new inverter is also very loud at loads under 380watts. Very strange, would have expected it to be louder under higher loads instead of small loads. Think it's the pulsing of the voltage or power regulators at low capacity demand. The voltage also ripples and spikes rapidly when the load on the inverter is below this level. I dunno if it's just a symptom of a budget inverter though. But what do I know? Not in the troubleshooting section of the manual.

What kind of noise is yours making? Just the standard 50/60hertz AC buzz is is it different? Mine makes a harsher more sort of messy spikey noise...
  • solorone

It is just a loud buzz/rattle especially starting at 2 KW and very loud at say 3.25 KW. I am familiar with the sound from my other 4 Trace units, but this is a good 1/3 to 1/2 louder, it is pretty quite under 1 KW. Before on the Trace I could hardly tell when the water pup came on, but now there is absolutely NO doubt, sounds like someone hit it with a hammer.
  • CALLD
    CALLD Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    It is just a loud buzz/rattle especially starting at 2 KW and very loud at say 3.25 KW. I am familiar with the sound from my other 4 Trace units, but this is a good 1/3 to 1/2 louder, it is pretty quite under 1 KW.

Nothing I would worry about then, sounds pretty normal and expected to me.
    If you don't like the noise then you can put somewhere where the noise doesn't bother you. If you have to enclose it make sure it can remain within operating temperature and not overheat. It's unlikely though that you will be able to suppress much of the noise in a tight enclosure that doesn't also insulate it to damaging levels. The heat needs to find a way out and if air is the mode for removing heat sound can also follow that path easily
  • solorone

Oh I am not worried, just ticked off a bit and a tad disappointed/surprised.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

Out of curiousity how does the (high) tare load of the SW compare to the old trace?

Are we talking fan noise, or transformer hum/rumble?
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

My xw-6048 is silent at low loads, and as they increase, it starts humming. And when a motor switches on, there is a brief loud hum, as the starting current runs. Even a fridge motor kicking in, is pretty loud. Fans don't come on till over 1500 watts
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

Are we talking about the Conext SW here? My model makes no loud circuit or transformer noise .. even when pushing 2KW. The fans take a bit of getting used to though..
  • solorone

It seems a bit higher, maybe 2 or 3 A. higher. base load is 17 A, while I used to figure it was about 14/15, either way we will get enough power on a cloudy day to more than cover that, I was getting 5 A in a light rain the other day, that was very nice, going to check the new setup on a good full moon. I used to get a bit of output on my ARCO's when they were new.
  • solorone
    , I can not get over how loud it is compared to the old 4024. Also the meter is poorly designed, while using a surface mounting, the Xantrex expects you to cut a hole in the wall for the rear entry of the data cable. As my home design/layout is 32 years old we were not even dreaming of the electronics we have now, our pantry is the control center and it is getting crowded.

I would like the Mods to remove this thread. I am sorry to have besmirched the Schneider name. The 4024 is very quite under 2 KW, but still louder than the trace at 3.25 KW.
    Mea Culpa !! Have been away after writing the OP. I am in serious error about the noise. The noise was coming from a large wiring box that has a door on it and is directly under the inverter. The junction box was moved to make room and possible put in a bit of a bind, the electricity caused a vibration within the box and with its lid. I discovered this today as the last new controller was added and the last array came on line. Frankly I am embarrassed by my oversight, but the room is small and serves as laundry, pantry and control center, so one is just surrounded by the noise, plus the sound resonated through the Schneider to the touch.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

solorone, Get over it , It happens !
    Tell me your not HUMAN !

I'd be rich for the furbars @ a buck a ***

I always bang the box to make sure no Invitations of vibrations

VT
  • solorone

Thanks, I am over it but wanted to clear the air, I have never been shy about admitting mistakes. Seems like I dealt with this same issue 21 or so years ago when I replaced the 2412 with the first 4024 and it was mounted in the same configuration.