My first project: Solar battery usb iphone charger, need direction please!

Options
Baconite
Baconite Registered Users Posts: 2
I know there are several projects already out there, but they all consist of having known solar panel specifications.

I have the solar panel from this motion security light.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Activated-Solar-Security-Light/dp/B00BFAQNKK

It was dead, so I took it apart, and accidentally broke the board because I didn't know there was a screw in the middle of the board and just snapped the board in half (stupid mistake on my part, I was excited to get something without having to buy extra parts). I measured the voltage using a multimeter, and it was measuring a little over 10V, but I do not know the amperage because I didn't have anything to hook it up to, and I really don't know how to measure amps...

I also have a bunch of 18650 batteries (because I am a vaper).

My goal is to create a solar panel that charges the batteries, and at the same time, charge an iPhone 5S (5v @ 1.2A i think), and when the sun isn't hitting it, charge the phone from the batteries.

I didn't take apart the solar panel, because it seems to be ready to go since it has a small jack and is already weather-proofed. But do I need to?

From all the research I did, I think i need a few diodes (to prevent power going back into the solar panel, not sure if it already has one, and the other to prevent power going back into the battery from the phone?).

I think I need a li-ion charge controller, because my 18650 batteries are li-ion... so would I need something like this:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/390

And could I use more than one battery?

Would I need a buck converter since the solar panel outputs over 10V and the charge controller only accepts 6V?

the purpose of this project is to have a charging device while i'm biking, and I do get plenty of sun while i'm biking. It would go on my rear panier and I could probably make a container that would allow air to flow right through it for heat dissipation...

Please help!

Thanks!

Randy

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: My first project: Solar battery usb iphone charger, need direction please!
    Baconite wrote: »
    It was dead, so I took it apart, and accidentally broke the board because I didn't know there was a screw in the middle of the board and just snapped the board in half (stupid mistake on my part, I was excited to get something without having to buy extra parts). I measured the voltage using a multimeter, and it was measuring a little over 10V, but I do not know the amperage because I didn't have anything to hook it up to, and I really don't know how to measure amps...

You should purchase a digital multi-meter or two so you can make your own measurements. If you already have a DMM--Then you can use it to measure the output current from your solar panel (shorted circuit current or Isc).

There are lots of tutorials on the web--Such as this one that can teach you how to use your meter:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-multimeter

Note--Measuring current with a DMM is one of the more "dangerous" operations. If you do not understand/know what you are doing, it can be very easy to ruin your meter or even start a fire if using the Current Measurement function of your meter. Voltage readings are pretty safe (within the range of the meter) because almost no current is pulled from the circuit under test.

However, when measuring current, your meter looks like a "dead short" to whatever it is you are testing. It is easy to forget and have a meter set to test current and touch a power source/battery/etc. and draw enough current to toast your meter, cause sparks, and start melting wiring.

With a solar panel, you know that it has very limited current (probably much less than 1 amp in your case). And it is perfectly OK to put a current meter on the output of the solar panel and measure its short circuit current. Just put the panel in full noon-time sun (point panel at sun), and you will read its (roughly) maximum available current.
    I also have a bunch of 18650 batteries (because I am a vaper).

You do have to be careful when recharging many types of Li Ion batteries. If they are improperly recharged, they can shut down or even catch fire (if these are the "unprotected" type cells).
    My goal is to create a solar panel that charges the batteries, and at the same time, charge an iPhone 5S (5v @ 1.2A i think), and when the sun isn't hitting it, charge the phone from the batteries.

You may have difficulty just "charging" an Apple phone product--From what little I have read, they may require specific cabling/termination to accept charging current--You will have to do more research on that.
    I didn't take apart the solar panel, because it seems to be ready to go since it has a small jack and is already weather-proofed. But do I need to?

Connecting to the jack should be fine. Nothing in the panel assembly you should need to get at.
    From all the research I did, I think i need a few diodes (to prevent power going back into the solar panel, not sure if it already has one, and the other to prevent power going back into the battery from the phone?).

The phone should be fine--It should not power anything connected to the charging port.
    I think I need a li-ion charge controller, because my 18650 batteries are li-ion... so would I need something like this:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/390

That charge controller has a maximum input of 6 volts--Will not work with your solar panel (most likely). Solar panels are actually a bit difficult to work with from an electronics point of view... Their voltage will run from zero to Voc (voltage open circuit).
    And could I use more than one battery?

Would I need a buck converter since the solar panel outputs over 10V and the charge controller only accepts 6V?

This is where a detailed discussion of your requirements would come in... You can charge/use batteries in parallel/series or even series-parallel. Depends on your power needs (voltage, AH ratings, etc.).
    the purpose of this project is to have a charging device while i'm biking, and I do get plenty of sun while i'm biking. It would go on my rear panier and I could probably make a container that would allow air to flow right through it for heat dissipation... It is not like plugging into a 3 volt Li Ion battery and getting 2.9-3.3 volts to work with.

The solar panel you have is some sort of "thin film" panel. They are inexpensive and will probably last 2-10 years in sun/weather. However, they are not terribly efficient. A mono or poly crystalline silicon solar panel will usually generate about 2x as much power from the same size panel (2x more efficient).

Also, solar panels are not terribly efficient in how much power they generate for their area... That panel you have may generate something around 2-5 watts. And an Iphone will take 5-8 watts of power when charging (for several hours).

If you are very interested in working with Li Ion batteries (and LED flash lights in general), this forum has lots of information and discussions you can use:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

If this is your first electronics project... I probably would not make an Iphone charger. To do the charging system correctly with an arbitrary solar panel--You really need a switch mode type charge controller circuit--These are not usually a good first project for electronics (although, with the modern chips/kits/pre-built chargers out there--It certainly can be done as a first project). Also, if you mess up, you may toast your $600 Iphone.

I would try something else first--And look at solar charger products that are already out there for USB and such devices.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westyd1982
    westyd1982 Solar Expert Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Options

I have built a number of USB charging ports for my cars and a 2-port one connected to my 12 V solar-charged battery bank:
    Attachment not found.

Each of these devices use a DC-DC step down switching power supply to provide 5 volts for the USB port. In my testing of various products I have found the Murata Power Systems 78SR-5/2-C to be very efficient and it provides 5 volts at 2 amps. They also make a smaller 1.5 amp one (OKI-78SR-5/1.5-W36-C) that I have used on a different project and it seems to work fine. This one is about a third of the cost ~$4. Mouser sells both of these.

Also you don't need any diodes, just a stable 5v power supply.

We charge all kinds of USB devices including iPhones, iPods, and iPads. I set up the USB port as a universal USB charging device which means the two center (data) pins are tied together. All the iDevices charge fine on these ports, but the iPads limit their charging to 1 amp. You could use the proper resistors on the data pins to let an iPad know that 2 amp are available (if you have 2 amps available).

I didn't look at your solar panel, but you need one that will put out at least about 10 watts to build a useful charger if you are going straight from the sun without charging intermediate batteries. If you are charging batteries, you probably need more solar panel power or more time.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Baconite wrote: »
    I also have a bunch of 18650 batteries (because I am a vaper). .....My goal is to create a solar panel that charges the batteries, and at the same time, charge an iPhone 5S (5v @ 1.2A i think), and when the sun isn't hitting it, charge the phone from the batteries.

STOP. Unless you know what you are doing with those 18650's, namely the fact that you haven't said what the chemistry is (is it Lifepo4? LiNmC? LiCo02?) and a wing-it approach to charging, for your own safety please see the information contained here unless you want to risk losing teeth, maybe some tongue, and possibly your lips.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?9-Flashlight-Electronics-Batteries-Included&

Your non-vaper application can be easily done off the shelf with these high quality components. You may wish to judge whether it would be simpler and more cost effective to go commercial in the first place. 14w panel (they also supply an 8w panel)

http://www.ianker.com/support-c7-g263.html

Now you want an external battery that can be charged from ac or from the panels above for those times you don't want to directly charge your device in the hot sun:

http://www.ianker.com/External-Batteries/category-c1-s1

But back to the 18650's. Your best and SAFEST bet is to purchase a charger capable of using a common usb 5v supply. Now either the panel or the external battery can charge them safely. Perhaps your vaper-distributor has them.

Otherwise, before you go any further with your solar diy project, check candlepower forums for the most suitable charger. Don't mess around especially with batteries close to your face.
  • Baconite
    Baconite Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you all, for the concerns. I will definitely learn more before continuing this project. I was just excited to try something with the newly acquired solar panel and I guess I picked too complicated a project.

The reason I didn't specify the battery was because the battery wasn't in front of me... but this is what I have.

http://www.amazon.com/4pcs-Panasonic-CGR18650CH-Li-ion-Battery/dp/B00AKQQ990

The original plan was to use the batteries as the battery bank for my solar project, where it would be used to charge my phone, regardless if it was night or day.

And the way to charge the battery bank was to use the solar power, and in the event that i want to charge it at night, use a computer usb port or one of those phone charge cubes.

I know there are already devices out there that do it, but I wanted to build one of my own, so I can get a deeper understanding of electronics (it's not my first BBQ when it comes to electronics, I took a class, but over 2 decades ago, and haven't used the knowledge since).

I do have a few DMMs as well.

But, I guess i'll try to find another project that can utilize this solar panel!

I will definitely look at all those links because I still want something solar on my bike to charge my phone while i'm riding...

Thank you,

Randy