Issue with inverter shutting down at 21v on a 24v system

Options
rayrassi
rayrassi Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
I have a system based on 8 235A Crown 6V batteries, a Schneider CSW4024 Inverter, a Schneider MPPT60 Controller, 4 295W DMEGC DM295-P156-72 panels. Batteries are set up 4 in series x 2 for total of 235x2x24=11280Wh or so I think. Based on the stats I get from the COMBOX my daily averages are Load 1345Wh, PV Input 4232Wh, battery charge 4075Wh, and discharge is 972Wh. I have no grid connection and I still don't have the generator hooked up to the system.

System has been in operation for almost two months now but a couple of time I have had a Low Voltage stutdown from the inverter due to the batteries coming down to 21v for more than 10 seconds. It has happened after a day of heavy use.

The first time the load was 2807Wh, Battery discharge was 2431 and charge was 4096 with a PV input 4279. The heavy battery discharge was late in the day when there was no generation occurring. We went to take a shower late in the night and the power cut off due to Low voltage cutoff setting of 21v at the inverter which was triggered when the water pump turned on. Normally during the day the water pump turns on many times and there is no problem.

The second time (this morning) we had heavy use yesterday (again late in the day). The stats for yesterday showed 3631Wh load, 3254Wh discharge, 4803Wh PV input and 4592Wh battery charge. This morning we were having low battery cut offs again.

The inverter is set to cutoff at 21v with a delay of 10 seconds. I don't understand why if I am supposed to have 11280Wh stored in the batteries does the system shut down due to low voltage after the consumption indicated above. Even if there had been no battery charge or PV input I am not using 1/3 of the battery capacity yet the system is shutting it down as if my batteries were drained.

All equipment is new. I am suspecting the batteries or poor connections. I will recheck and clean, lubricate the connections but I would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on the matter. Perhaps I am misunderstanding how this all works or I am calculating something wrong?

Thanks!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Issue with inverter shutting down at 21v on a 24v system

Welcome to the forum.

This LVD shutdown is normal. At 21 Volts it is also too low. What it really means is your system isn't sized right for the amount of power being used and when it's being used.

You have eight 235 Amp hour 6 Volt batteries for a 24 Volt bank of 470 Amp hours. Technically that's 11,280 Watt hours stored capacity, but if you tried to use all that the batteries would be dead and not rechargeable, to say nothing of the increase in current that would occur from pulling the Voltage down to zero.

So really you have up to 50% of that available: 5.6 kW hours, and that is DC. In AC output it's more like 4.7 kW hours due to inverter consumption and conversion efficiency.

Your Combox numbers don't make sense, but that's not surprising considering who makes that stuff. You say the first time it happen the load was 2.8 Watt hours? But PV output that day was 4.7 Watt hours? I think we need to discuss the ins and outs of power, ignoring the Conext method of mismeasurement.

Your loads are drawn from the batteries. This is especially true if they occur when no PV output is available. This is why it is best to plan the battery bank of the total daily Watt hour average and not try to count on the surplus sometimes available from the PV once the batteries are charged.

To keep those batteries up average Depth Of Discharge should be around 25%, or about 2.8 kW hours. That should in fact work with your 'first time' load report of 2.8 kW hours. Providing you have enough PV to recharge it.

Which is where we run in to problem #1: you have four 295 Watt panels for a total array of 1180 Watts, yes? That is not really large enough to recharge 470 Amp hours @ 24 Volts. It would probably provide a charge rate of 8%, which is just a tad low. That means it will work most of the time, but not when the batteries have been pulled low or load demands are eating into the effective charge rate. Ideally you'd have 1465 Watts. It sounds like the derating for average operating conditions was left out of the array sizing.

Problem #2 is time of use of the loads. Drawing heavy amounts of power when the sun is down means everything must come from the batteries with no replacement at all from the PV. Hence the earlier statement about planning all loads to be coming from batteries and accepting surplus PV output as gravy.

Now what you need to check is whether or not the batteries are actually getting fully charged. Ignore the combox data; it is useless. Get a hydrometer and measure the Specific Gravity of every battery cell. Check the current output of the charge controller as well as the Absorb Voltage and time. If the batteries are not getting fully charged on any given day then there is no chance of them having full capacity to work from to begin with, and they will be dying already at an accelerated rate.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,445 admin
    Options

Welcome to the forum Ray, and sorry for the problems you are having...

First, have you measured (and logged) the specific gravity for each cell with a decent glass hydrometer (or equivalent)?

Next, measure the voltage of each cell (or each battery).

And, if you have a current clamp meter (like this DC clamp DMM from Sears--or better), to measure the charging and discharging current for each battery string?

Basically, looking for overall state of charge of the battery bank and differences between individual cells/batteries/strings (looking for bad connections, bad cells, etc.).

Assuming you have a reliable volt meter and have measured the voltage at the input of the inverter (DMM are similar to the voltage reported by the inverter/charge controllers), my first guesses are:
    • Battery bank is under charged (too little charging current, bad cell, bad connections, simply too much load for amount of sun, low charging voltages/absorb time, etc.).
    • Too small of wire gauge/too long of wire run from batteries to inverter (and/or charge controller).
    • Possibly a bad cell battery from factory (not common, but does happen).
    • Not a well balanced system (loads define battery bank size, battery bank + loads define solar array size).
    • Most systems tend to have ~1-3 days of storage--A few days of bad weather and no generator backup can mean your battery bank is simply not getting charged. It is easy to "deficit charge an off grid battery bank/system--Discharge 25%, and recharge 20%, 5% down first day, 10% down second day, etc... to where the battery bank is well under 50% state of charge. Batteries that are deeply cycled often (under 50% state of charge) or taken near dead (less than 20% state of charge) are not usually going to last long.
    • Another possible mistake is how the solar array is wired... Many people use Vmp~30 volt panels wired in parallel to charge a 24 volt battery bank... That is not correct. You need a minimum Vmp~35 volts to properly recharge a 24 volt battery bank... Or two panels minimum in series, 2 parallel for your setup.
    So, lots of measurements and information on your install (the DC battery bus specifically) to help us debug the issues.

Also a quick check on the sizing of your system...
    • 8x 235A Crown 6V batteries, a Schneider CSW4024 Inverter
    • Schneider MPPT60 Controller
    • 4x 295W DMEGC DM295-P156-72 panels
    • Batteries are set up 4 in series x 2 for total of 235x2x24=11280Wh or so I think.
    • Based on the stats I get from the COMBOX my daily averages are Load 1345Wh, PV Input 4232Wh, battery charge 4075Wh, and discharge is 972Wh. I have no grid connection and I still don't have the generator hooked up to the system.
    You have a (2x235AH=) 470 AH battery bank @ 24 volts. Using some rules of thumbs for designing a "balanced/optimum" off grid power system...Generally lead acid battery bank system will have ~1-3 days of storage at 50% maximum battery discharge. Using 2 days as "optimum", I would suggest:
    • 470 AH * 24 volts * 0.85 AC inverter eff * 1/2 days storage * 0.50 max battery discharge = 2,397 WH per day "average" load
    Some other rules of thumb based on battery discharge rates for flooded cell lead acid storage batteries:
    • 470 AH * 24 volts * 0.85 inverter eff * 1/20 hour discharge rate = 499 Watt load (5 hours per night for 2 nights)
    • 470 AH * 24 volts * 0.85 inverter eff * 1/8 hour discharge rate = 1,248 Watt load maximum continuous (till battery dead)
    • 470 AH * 24 volts * 0.85 inverter eff * 1/5 hour discharge rate = 1,998 Watt load maximum for an hour or so
    • 470 AH * 24 volts * 0.85 inverter eff * 1/2.5 hour discharge rate = 3,995 Watt load maximum surge (seconds to a few minutes--starting pump, etc.)
    The above are rough numbers--I just carried out the digits so you can confirm my math and see where I use them in following calculations... Pretty much for solar power, anything within +/- 10% of calculated are "dead on" numbers.

Next, sizing the solar array... Two ways to size. First is based on Battery bank AH rating (bigger banks need larger array) and second is based on actual loads supported by the solar array. First battery bank should have 5% to 13%+ rate of charge. For a full time off grid cabin/home, 10%+ rate of charge is highly recommended (less day to day "worrying" about the system and managing loads):
    • 470 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.05 rate of charge = 885 Watt array minimum
    • 470 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.10 rate of charge = 1,770 Watt array nominal
    • 470 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.13 rate of charge = 2,301 Watt array "cost effective" maximum
    And then there is sizing the array based on the amount of sun you get for where the system is installed. For example, say you are in Atlanta Georgia, using PV Watts with a fixed array tilted to latitude (roughly 34 degrees from horizontal), we would expect:
    Month    Solar Radiation (kWh/m 2/day)
    1      3.86     
    2      4.67     
    3      5.21     
    4      6.17     
    5      5.95     
    6      5.81     
    7      5.82     
    8      5.83     
    9      5.21     
    10      5.51     
    11      4.42     
    12      3.72     
    Year      5.18      

At least 4 hours of sun for 10 months of the year... A typical daily load would "break even" at roughly:
    • 2,397 WH per day * 1/0.52 typical system efficiency * 1/4 hours of sun minimum = 1,152 Watt array minimum

The above numbers are not exact... They are a rough guide to compare your system against. Your solar array is ~1,180 Watts... It can work for your system (based on generic design rules)--But it is very close. In general, you should only use ~66 to 75% of the predicted output for your daily/average loads--You need a little buffer for bad weather and the days when you use more power (vacuuming, washing clothes, etc.).

If your daily load is "1345Wh", then your array would need:
    • 1,345 WH * 1/0.52 system efficiency * 1/1,180 Watt array = 2.2 Hours of sun
    That would seem to be sufficient.

And if your array produced 4,232 WH, then:
    • 4,232 WH * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 1/1,180 Watt array = 4.7 hours of "noon time equivalent sun" per day
    So, your array seems to be producing a reasonable amount of power for this time of year--Of course, that depends on where the system is installed... I guessed Atlanta--But you are probably somewhere else. And you probably have your array setup in 2 series x 2 parallel panel configuration--The numbers look OK here.

Now--The battery bank taking 4.1 kWH to recharge and you used 1.3 kWH the last day--It sounds like the battery bank way under charged... More loads earlier, less sun earlier, or something (could even be an error in reading the display, or the software is not working like you would expect it to--And it is reporting "something else". Measuring the battery bank state of charge with a hydrometer sounds like the first step.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As 'Coot noted it appears to be too small of a system for your uses.

I suspect you have had some cloudy/Rainy weather and you have not reach a full charge for several days. The 'combox' is much like a computer and likely works fine if you have proper numbers set, though I believe this is still buggy. A more complete understanding of the solar energy system may help you. If your in the Northern hemisphere, the short days of winter are just starting, so your problems are likely to get worse rather than better, So striving to get a handle on this now would be good.

A statement of ...PV Input 4232Wh, battery charge 4075Wh..." would appear that the charge rate is set at about 96% and that is if loads are not inclusive. I doubt you can achieve this high an efficiency with flooded batteries, though these might be AGM, still this would appear optimistic.

The reason you LVD is triggered by your water pump is that it is a very heavy load. When you have heavy loads, the draw from the batteries brings the voltage down. If you have a simple voltage display you can see this voltage drop in miniature if you start a heavy load, say your microwave, toaster or coffee pot. The voltage sag could also be amplified if your using to small a gauge wire from your battery bank to your inverter.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

With off grid we generally work on two days storage, which isnt a lot, so : as the others have amply said, you cant use what you arent producing.

Also do not forget that the SWs have awful tare draw, something like 50-60W, so that alone is 1.2kW/day.

If you are using 3.6kWh/day, and producing a MAX of little more than that for your time of year. And thats when the sun is shining! Take the sun away and your array just isnt big enough.

You have 3 choices, upsize the whole thing, add a genset, or conserve.

One other thing at 24V a 4kW inverter is on the big side. Peak discharge amps is approx 4000 * 1/0.85 /23V which is 200A. On your pack thats 0.45C which is too high for FLA. The rule of thumb there is that at 24V you need 200Ah of bank per kW of inverter. That works out at 800Ah for you. This will exacerbate your voltage sag issues, themselves primarily caused by low SOC.

Some people would be happy to throw money at a system like this. But if you have a bit of excel foo, you can model fairly precisely how your needs fit your insolation pattern. Theres a SS in my sig link, based on daily insolation data.

Bottom line: everything starts with loads. Download the combox data to date, work out what your average daily kW/h usage is, note any significant outliers, then come back and we can spec the system from scratch.

In the mean time, you must not take the bank to 21V. Youll cut years off its life. Anything near 50% SOC should prick your ears up, and below that invoke immediate remedial action.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar