Automation - OG inverters that resume without interaction after LVD/excessive loads/etc?

Options
I'm building an off grid design that needs rare or zero interaction. Ideally it would never require interaction to resume functioning; e.g., after low voltage disconnect, excessive loads, and so on. Or it needs to be extremely rare if/when manually resetting, powering on, etc. Pure sine wave is preferred.

The battery bank will be 12 or 24V. Ball park wattage would be 2-4kW peak load; more would be nice, but the customer only has so much to spend. More than 1 inverter is an option, but 1 would keep things simple.

Suggestions? Do they exist? If so, is there a specific term for this feature?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Automation - OG inverters that resume without interaction after LVD/excessive loads/

Some inverters will restart after a minor Low Voltage event, but if the voltage goes below critical, some will not restart, to avoid destroying the battery bank. If someone wants to be off-grid, they have to become Power Plant engineer, or have one on retainer. Who will check battery water ? Terminal connections ? Wash down the array?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• treed678
    treed678 Solar Expert Posts: 30
    Options
    Re: Automation - OG inverters that resume without interaction after LVD/excessive loads/

Good points. I'll use sealed batteries and say 1X every 90 days myself or someone else could check/maintain it. It is not my own system, which is why I'm trying to automate as much as possible. Probably the biggest thing will be that it's sized and used properly. Any models or brands you would recommend? Spending more to minimize problems will be worth it, I think.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Outback FX inverter will turn on again once Voltage climbs above a preset level after turning off from LVD.

The largest would be 3.5kW for 24 Volt, and I'd recommend 24 Volt over 12 if you really have peak demands near 4kW. A 3524 can supply up to 7kW momentarily. It would handle start surges in 4kW range but don't expect it to supply continuous power above 3.5kW for more than a few seconds.

As Mike said, though, it is impossible to build a system that needs zero maintenance and observation. You can put monitoring equipment in that can send you alerts if something goes wrong, but then you still have to be able to get there in a reasonable amount of time to correct the fault. 90 days without evaluation is not unreasonable, providing it is an automated environment (no humans using it wrong and causing problems, which is what causes most problems).
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

"Fully automating" an off grid system is difficult and expensive--And sometimes of dubious value.

Many times, systems that are less complex will run more reliably and require less maintenance/easier to repair.

If you are looking for a system that will not destroy the battery bank if the sun goes dark--I have a few suggestions to think about.

One is to look at a battery monitor with remote alarm contacts. Victron makes a nice one. Set the alarm to turn on at 50% state of charge and turn off at 80% state of charge--And the battery bank will be pretty happy. Note that battery monitors only estimate the state of charge of the battery bank (by measuring the amp*hours into/out of the battery bank)--Which can drift over time. They also will reset back to 100% if the charging voltage is held high for over X hours of time. Us the battery monitor to turn off/off the AC inverters (or loads).

Lead acid battery have a complex relationship with state of charge and voltage/current/charging/discharging/age/time/temperature/etc... Just monitoring the battery bank voltage can lead you astray.

If the site is occupied but the people there are not technically inclined (parents living at cabin)--You probably can stop with a battery monitor and have them call when something goes wrong (i.e., call you/start the genset when the battery bank goes below 50% state of charge, turn off when the battery bank goes below 20% state of charge, etc.). You could even use a remote link (cell phone/Internet) to monitor your system state and go out when needed to bring back up (i.e. if something "breaks" like a solar array cable is chewed through by a squirrel, are you OK with the system being down for a month or two?).

Something else to think about--LiFePO4 batteries are much simpler to set min/max charging/discharging voltages. No maintenance, no worry about sitting around at 20% state of charge, etc... If you can have interruptions, a smaller LiFePO4 bank (to keep battery costs down) might be very nice (you have power when there is enough sun, you don't when the sun is blocked by clouds for a day, etc.). You just set a minimum bank voltage to cut off your loads and you are done.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • treed678
    Options

Excellent suggestions. That's why I come here. ;)

One thing I didn't think about was an inverter remote. The system will be used outside and by non-savvy people, so security [and safety] will be a priority. Even though I plan to lock all components away, a button or switch [to attempt?] to turn the power back on, should it go off, could be provided. It should always come back on if there's battery power and no breakers are thrown. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to run all(?) wires & cables in conduit either, reducing the odds of squirrel, zombie, pet, or child attack.

I know the OB series have passwords for config options (plus built-in chargers). I think they may be out of the price range though; AC will not be readily available either, nor would a comm line. I'd probably need to go with a very simple interface - e.g., on/off + maybe a battery meter; functionality plus some eye candy, but no chance of, "I wonder what *this* does...," to mess anything up. I also need to re-review NEC codes for such a system. Any insight into specific codes or complications, based on what's been mentioned, would be appreciated. I do not plan to exceed 24V nominal PV input, so <50V system.

Realistically, I doubt it would see more than a few hundred to 1,000 watts most of the time, but there's always the possibility someone comes by and attaches every power tool on hand and throws a 6,000 watt load at the inverter. I'm inclined to strictly control that with breakers; versus high/peak fuse/cb limits. In other words, I'd never allow the inverter ever see or attempt to supply more than it's designed for continuously. I realize would require more visits and interaction. It's better than equipment damage though, saving everyone money & time.

"Instructions" (because everyone always reads them, right?) would be the first line of defense, but inevitably I can see a visit or guidance being necessary to reset a breaker, explain that "no ...the system does not have infinite power," and so on. That wouldn't be too big of a deal, as long as I design to suit the customer's expectations. There are always things to iron out with a new system.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    treed678 wrote: »
    Realistically, I doubt it would see more than a few hundred to 1,000 watts most of the time, but there's always the possibility someone comes by and attaches every power tool on hand and throws a 6,000 watt load at the inverter. I'm inclined to strictly control that with breakers; versus high/peak fuse/cb limits. In other words, I'd never allow the inverter ever see or attempt to supply more than it's designed for continuously. I realize would require more visits and interaction. It's better than equipment damage though, saving everyone money & time.

"Instructions" (because everyone always reads them, right?) would be the first line of defense, but inevitably I can see a visit or guidance being necessary to reset a breaker, explain that "no ...the system does not have infinite power," and so on. That wouldn't be too big of a deal, as long as I design to suit the customer's expectations. There are always things to iron out with a new system.

My personal experience: no they don't. Even if they read them that doesn't mean they'll follow them. It's so easy to forget little things like "don't turn on everything at once".

This is why when I leave the kids at the cabin on their own I get phone calls*: "The batteries keep going dead" (DO NOT RUN WATER PUMP AT NIGHT WITHOUT GENERATOR X9), "There's no power" (blew 150 Amp fuse on 24 Volt system - pulling 3600 Watts from a 3500 Watt inverter).

An automatic reset circuit breaker might be a good idea too, although if the fault isn't cleared it will just click on/off repeatedly until it dies. Breakers on inverter output don't do much good as the inverter will usually fault before the breaker trips.

*Last time there was no phone call because they couldn't figure out it was possible to run an extension cord in from the (operating) generator to power up the phone equipment. So they drove out to tell me and I had to drive in to fix it.
  • treed678
    Options

I agree there... people don't read instructions. I meant to put a smiley or <roll eyes> after that. ;) A small chart (like "pool rules") could be displayed nearby to help a little.

I like the idea of a self resetting breaker, but I wouldn't trust anyone to realize there's a problem to correct, meaning the fault would probably remain. A long delay would buy more time for the fault to be fixed, versus rapidly tripping every few seconds. Time adjustable would be a cool feature, but I'm guessing they don't exist or are rare or cost prohibitive.

What I was thinking about the lower limit breaker is this: let's say the inverter has a 2kw peak and 1kw continuous. If I use the amperage @ the 1kw or 1.5kw mark, if the inverter did see 2kw (or higher), it would be safer this way by tripping faster, versus using the amperage @ 2kw level, right? Alternately, I could use *both* CB at a moderate/conservative (1/1.5kw) and a fast blow fuse for "unreasonable" load demands (e.g., hard 2kw limit). Best of both worlds?
  • BB.
    Options

It is difficult to make a system that will power from 100 to 6,000 watts that is very cost effective...

Perhaps, you can build out a first system with a pretty rugged 300 Watt 12 VDC TSW Morningstar inverter... Has "search mode" (lower power standby) and a remote on/off signal (you can connect your system save function here--And/or let people turn off inverter if not needed). Will power lighting, small electronics, cell phone chargers, etc. very nicely.

Throw on 2-4 golf cart batteries+solar+backup AC battery charger (if needed), possibly a battery monitor--And you will have a cheap and pretty rugged system. Change to AGM batteries if you don't want to have to check/add water (perhaps after the first set of "cheap" batteries are "murdered"). Would give you some real operational information on what is needed (bigger system needed? Will people really be able to adjust their usage to available sun, will cost of system be "worth it" to the users, etc.).

For poor weather--Look at a Honda eu1000i or eu2000i (900 to 1,600 watt) if you think they can manage pull start and the whole generator maintenance issues (you can even get propane conversions or tri-fuel generators--Propane runs cleaner (less oil changes?) and could be safer vs gasoline (bring 100 lb tanks, or if there is a large propane tank for cooking/heating).

And get a cheap (and noisy) 3.5 kWatt or even 7 kWatt Champion Genset from Costco (currently selling gas/propane model for ~$800 or so) for when they want to run 6 kWatt of tools at the same time.

Note that small gensets can run 4-10 hours or so with smaller loads (1,600 to 400 watt or less). However a "big" 7kWatt will run only ~1-2 hours on a gallon of fuel--So there is that whole issue (fuel storage, handling, who pays, oil changes, etc.).

Put everything on a small trailer--You can bring home/move to where needed and do the maintenance locally (if solar panels--The array may have to be fixed--portable arrays are difficult to justify--size/how rugged/etc.). Of course, anything on wheels may be "too mobile". :cry:

Do you have a good idea of what the "loads" look like (daily use peak watts, Watt*Hours per day, etc.)? I would really suggest that this be done as a split low power off grid solar and plan on genset for any substantial power usage for a first try at off grid solar for non-technical folks. If they mess up the solar--You are only talking about a few hundred dollars of batteries and a simple to repair system. Throw in a simple automatic transfer switch (AC inverter and AC generator to low power "permanent loads", plus wire up a simple Iota 20-45 amp 12 VDC battery charger)--There would be very little for them to do--Monitor Battery Monitor (check battery water levels, hydrometer if they are interested), and tell them to run the genset for heavy loads or if battery AH capacity falls below 50% (or give them some sort of voltage level to watch for).

The MorningStar 300 Watt inverter can be set for 11.5 volt disconnect (better for batteries than 10.5 volt typical disconnect) and has auto reconnect (for low and high voltage disconnects).

And once you have a year or two (or seasons) of usage--Everyone will probably have a better idea of what is needed to run the site. And they will not have spent too much money learning.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • treed678
    Options

Thanks for the good info from a wider perspective, Bill. I'm always open to things I haven't thought of or mentioned. Unfortunately the customer is requiring off grid solar only, so generators can't be part of the equation. I'm going to hang on to this though, because I'll be starting my setup over soon and I think a solar/AC/gen combo will work well for me ...as well as other folks I run into down the road I'm sure.

I anticipate 75%+ laptops and phones. One requirement is 6 - 120VAC receptacles, so that's approximately 200w (laptop) X 6 = ~1,200w ...*typical* worst case scenario (I always assume it will be worse at some point). I do think use will follow fairly closely weather and mostly day time hours (being outdoor), which will work well here with solar. In other words, more use when solar production is good ...very little in cold, wet winter weather (hopefully?). [Just pictured Chevy Chase in "Christmas Vacation." What have I gotten myself into?]

I think I'm going to push for more PV and take the chance with "murdering" a small battery bank. The panels can last "forever," basically, but the batteries will not, regardless. Maybe I can build the enclosure large enough to double or triple storage if necessary, and pitch the first bank to them as a "trial set." I don't want to skimp on the inverter or protection because that's a potential bottleneck from day 1 and likely subject to abuse. I'm more concerned that it can take some punishment, and that I can protect it, vs efficiency. Search mode to conserve energy would be nice though. Fairly certain I'll go with a remote at this point.

Are there 1kw+ inverters that are sealed or designed to work in wide temp & humidity environments, below $750? $500 or less would be even better. I hope that isn't asking too much. I'd look at Outback specialty inverters, but I know that's $1,000+ right out the gate, and AC charging won't be utilized.
  • creeky
    creeky Banned Posts: 31
    Options

You might want to look at the new TBS inverters. They seem to have at least some of the qualities you are looking for.

I have the very small TBS 1600 and can say for a fact that it recovers automatically from excessive loads multiple times in a row. What. A friend brought a fancy smoothie maker over ... it should have run but it didn't. I don't know why. All I know is I kept saying. This should run. And the power would shut off. And then it would turn back on and then I would run it again and the power would shut off and then... lol. I got the hint after three shut downs. But it restarted automatically each time.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    creeky wrote: »
    You might want to look at the new TBS inverters. They seem to have at least some of the qualities you are looking for.

I have the very small TBS 1600 and can say for a fact that it recovers automatically from excessive loads multiple times in a row. What. A friend brought a fancy smoothie maker over ... it should have run but it didn't. I don't know why. All I know is I kept saying. This should run. And the power would shut off. And then it would turn back on and then I would run it again and the power would shut off and then... lol. I got the hint after three shut downs. But it restarted automatically each time.
    "This should run" is not at all the same as "this should start" when it comes to motor loads.
    The staring current surge in a motor can easily be 10 times or more the running current.
    If an inverter does not react (in the short term) by browning out, decreasing the output voltage which will in turn reduce the starting current to the motor, then the protective devices on the inverter will trip every time.
    For a 200W running motor load, you may need an inverter with up to 2000W surge capability.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    Options
    treed678 wrote: »
    I'm always open to things I haven't thought of or mentioned. Unfortunately the customer is requiring off grid solar only, so generators can't be part of the equation.

You are there and know the area and your customers better than I... However, if you can educate your customer that you probably have a 3-7 days of bad weather every so often during the winter. More or less, with lead acid batteries about 1-3 days with 50% maximum discharge is practical range of storage, and ~2 days of storage with 50% discharge seems to be pretty cost effective (balanced system design; battery ~4x daily loads).
    I anticipate 75%+ laptops and phones. One requirement is 6 - 120VAC receptacles, so that's approximately 200w (laptop) X 6 = ~1,200w ...*typical* worst case scenario (I always assume it will be worse at some point).

Laptops--200 watts is pretty large power usage... You might average ~20-30 watts if the battery is full (i.e., running on AC power), and upwards of ~60-100 watts when recharging+running.

Conservation being our friend here... Either they want to run their systems (whatever they have), or they may want to look at getting something that will consume as little power as possible. Perhaps, if they have AC power there (or at home), you can give them a Kill-a-Watt type meter and tell them to plug the laptop(s) into the meter and run it for 24 hours (or more) and report back to you, the peak watts, kWH used, and hours of run-time on the meter. That will give you a lot more accurate estimate of power needs.

200 Watts * 10 hours per day = 2,000 WH per day
    20 Watts * 5 hours per day = 100 WH per day

Either estimate is possible--But without details from your customer, you either oversize the system (and over price it), or undersize and they come back a month or so later complaining it never works.
    I do think use will follow fairly closely weather and mostly day time hours (being outdoor), which will work well here with solar. In other words, more use when solar production is good ...very little in cold, wet winter weather (hopefully?). [Just pictured Chevy Chase in "Christmas Vacation." What have I gotten myself into?]

PV Watts for Huntsville AL, 35 degrees from horizontal (fixed array):
    Month    Solar Radiation (kWh/m 2/day)
    1      3.51     
    2      4.40     
    3      4.86     
    4      5.57     
    5      5.51     
    6      5.74     
    7      5.83     
    8      5.84     
    9      5.34     
    10      5.46     
    11      3.98     
    12      3.27     
    Year      4.94      

PV Watts has an "hour by hour" output based ~20 years of history--So you can do some looking around what a typical good day in winter vs a bad day in winter will do for you.

For example, a 1,000 Watt array and 52% efficient off grid system "bad" vs "good" December days:

1981, 12, 21, 08:00, 0
    1981, 12, 21, 09:00, 1
    1981, 12, 21, 10:00, 13
    1981, 12, 21, 11:00, 52
    1981, 12, 21, 12:00, 54
    1981, 12, 21, 13:00, 50
    1981, 12, 21, 14:00, 38
    1981, 12, 21, 15:00, 12
    1981, 12, 21, 16:00, 2
    1981, 12, 21, 17:00, 0
    1981, 12, 25, 07:00, 0
    1981, 12, 25, 08:00, 4
    1981, 12, 25, 09:00, 150
    1981, 12, 25, 10:00, 347
    1981, 12, 25, 11:00, 395
    1981, 12, 25, 12:00, 460
    1981, 12, 25, 13:00, 415
    1981, 12, 25, 14:00, 416
    1981, 12, 25, 15:00, 322
    1981, 12, 25, 16:00, 90
    1981, 12, 25, 17:00, 6
    1981, 12, 25, 18:00, 0

You can look through the data in a spread sheet program (add up the WH per daylight period per day) and you can give them an "estimate" if what bad weather would do to their available power.
    I think I'm going to push for more PV and take the chance with "murdering" a small battery bank. The panels can last "forever," basically, but the batteries will not, regardless. Maybe I can build the enclosure large enough to double or triple storage if necessary, and pitch the first bank to them as a "trial set." I don't want to skimp on the inverter or protection because that's a potential bottleneck from day 1 and likely subject to abuse. I'm more concerned that it can take some punishment, and that I can protect it, vs efficiency. Search mode to conserve energy would be nice though. Fairly certain I'll go with a remote at this point.

Remote vs Search Mode--You should take into account the inverter's tare losses (idle power usage)--A small inverter may take 6 watts 24x7, a larger inverter may take 20-40+ watts... For small systems, the tare loss can be significant--And I would suggest the search/auto off usage (or even a "timer" of some sort)--Manual switches tend to be forgotten and can kill the battery bank if system is left on but no loads. Larger systems, the tare losses are usually lost in the overall power usage.
    Are there 1kw+ inverters that are sealed or designed to work in wide temp & humidity environments, below $750? $500 or less would be even better. I hope that isn't asking too much. I'd look at Outback specialty inverters, but I know that's $1,000+ right out the gate, and AC charging won't be utilized.

You could always install a ventilated inverter in a larger weather proof box (then you have to look at heat exchange rates, possible addition of interior/exterior heat slinks, etc.). Then you could use an Exeltech, Samlex, etc. inverter. Samlex has a few remote inverter controls for some inverter series.

-Bill
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One requirement is 6 - 120VAC receptacles, so that's approximately 200w (laptop) X 6 = ~1,200w ...*typical* worst case
    That's a big laptop. Most seldom draw over 100W. If you have no motor (surge) loads, you could use 2 or 3 of the Morningstar 300w sine wave inverters, massive heat sink
    and 600watt rating for 10 minutes.

But no generator ? That means on the 2nd cloudy day, you shut down the system till you get enough sun for a full charge, and then restart the inverter. Holding a battery in a low charge state will destroy it. A battery bank large enough to get through 5 days of clouds, will need a huge PV array to charge it back up.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    A battery bank large enough to get through 5 days of clouds, will need a huge PV array to charge it back up.

Not only that, but if there are multiple sunny days in a row, the daily cycling will be so low as to cause lead dioxide clumping on the positive plates.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • treed678
    Options

I've generally felt that Pb batteries are fairly resilient, and they would be with *proper* use/care. Plus they're affordable. However the potential for extended time in a discharged state [5-10 days of clouds is not uncommon here ...plus above posts have made me paranoid ;) ] may turn out to be the Achilles' heel of the system. That equals premature storage failure or stress = replacement costs = me looking like I don't know what I'm doing, or that solar "doesn't work," etc. Let's just be honest for a second... not everyone is convinced solar "works" yet. We don't want that!

I could shift the focus from storage availability to durability & resilience [I'd really like those traits associated with my designs anyway]; function & output primarily when there's sufficient sunlight. That's essentially what solar offers anyway; storage is still a separate issue. If the LVD cutoff is high enough or adjustable for a Pb bank, that would also help.

What if I reconsider battery chemistry? I don't have extensive experience with lithium batteries or CC's. I know LiFePO4 are ideal today for multiple reasons (safe/stable, higher # of cycles), but my real world experience is limited to LiPO. I'm aware of picky lithium charging requirements and higher initial costs, which is why I've generally avoided them. I could probably show the customer that added cost would pay off long term, assuming it would here. Any battery suppliers and charge controllers ya'll could recommend?

I do not expect 10 hours * 200 watts [2kWh/day]. 1kWh is probably a more reasonable figure. That said, demand could be more or less. The customer does not have a baseline requirement, and neither the customer or I will have time for extensive testing or planning. Guaranteed output is not the goal; it is more about proving the technology. 300-400 watts PV will probably be around what I recommend, depending on what's left in the budget after lithium batteries/lithium compatible CC, if I go that route. If I can prove what I offer is functional and reliable, then the customer and/or other buyers will be interested in future projects & products.

I'd still like to have an inverter than can support a single large load, e.g., 1,000 watt something, versus multiple small inverters. I am not going to rely on anyone turning the inverter off. I will need to have a remote available to turn it on. Low tare & search mode are definitely bonuses.

And I know a "200 watt laptop" isn't realistic. I was just thinking of potential loads really. Call me a pessimist. ;) There are derating factors to consider though:
    a. cold batteries and/or decreased capacity over time
    b. hot inverter & components. enclosure may see 120F+ in summer; prob need to improve airflow, add fan(s)
    c. increasing load/peukert effect [if Pb] if 6 laptops are charging, etc
    d. inherent inverter/equipment efficiency losses, etc
    * So losses make 100 watts on a kill-a-watt meter/unlimited AC grid, for example, unrealistic. 150 watts isn't unreasonable. Add 25% pessimism factor = 200 watts. ;)
  • BB.
    Options

LiFePO4 would probably be of interest if there is a "no generator" rule... Lead acid batteries sitting around at less than 75% state of charge really start to sulfate faster (the lower the charge, faster the sulfation--As I understand).

If you can run the LiFePO4 batteries between 20% and 80% state of charge--They can work real well for this application. If if they sit for 10 days at 20% SOC--No problem with early life failures.

The reason I do not like to put too much "fudge factors" in to over size the system is that it is very costly to do this (larger batteries, more solar panels needed, more batteries to replace when they eventually fail).

And while it is not as expensive to over-size the inverters (higher tare losses)--The over-sizing of the battery bank is too be avoided. It just is not very cost effective.

Also, when you start with the 100-150-200 watt dance--It still does not really help size the battery bank (other than to supply average power / maximum surge current ratings). A typical laptop may use around 400 Watt*Hours per day... But that usage is highly variable. If these folks are using fast computers all the time with back lighting on full, it could get upwards of 1,000 kWH per day. If they are just running smaller laptops to log data at the end of the day--You could be looking at 50 WH per day. That is a 20:1 ratio of power usage. The chances you will hit their sweet spot is pretty remote. And that wide of energy range will really kill you if the LiFePO4 battery is too small or too large for their needs.

What are they doing for power now? Can they simulate power at home/office? Or could they run a Honda eu2000i for a week with a Kill-a-Watt meter to measure their actual loads--Then you put together a system in X working days for their installation and use?

I still do not see how they can use a relatively large off grid power system and both need a good size amount of power during sunny days, but be willing to "shut down" for 10 days of bad weather. Most people tend to simply plug in and use the batteries until dead, and when there is a little bit of sun, they are right back there plugging in to get power--With Lead Acid batteries, not a good plan.

If they are willing to watch the weather forecast and if there is bad weather predicted, they are willing to shut down the power system when it gets to 75% SOC and simply wait until sunny weather returns--It can work (I am pretty pessimistic about human nature).

A smaller LiFePO4 battery bank (call it 60% or so the size of the lead acid AH capacity for similar system) would give them a day or so of backup power, and can sit discharged until the sun returns (assuming you have a good LVD signal/control for the inverter). It would seem to be more rugged and probably cost effective. I would at least look at the Li battery bank as an option. They could always add a genset of some type if bad weather power outages turn out to be not acceptable (i.e., leave room for a battery charger and AC power connection in your system--Or even a smaller Outback Inverter-Charger with generator support).

-Bill
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

BB
    I ran my batteries down to about 50 percent charge and then just let it sit there with about 2kwh charge on day one and maby 3kwh day two then probly enought to get it to absorb on day three. 48 volt 800 amp hour battery. I do this quite often as that is the settings I have on the outback and what strings of cloudy days do. How bad is this for my batteries? I never put the load back on till batteries are reaching absorb and have a good chance of being charged but I do wait on sun and wind for charging.

Thanks
    gww
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    gww1 wrote: »
    BB
    I ran my batteries down to about 50 percent charge and then just let it sit there with about 2kwh charge on day one and maby 3kwh day two then probly enought to get it to absorb on day three. 48 volt 800 amp hour battery. I do this quite often as that is the settings I have on the outback and what strings of cloudy days do. How bad is this for my batteries? I never put the load back on till batteries are reaching absorb and have a good chance of being charged but I do wait on sun and wind for charging.

Thanks
    gww

Unfortunately it's unpredictable.
    They will not drop dead as a result of doing this one time or even many times.
    It will shave life off them as the more time spent below about 70% the more hard sulphation (irreversible) accumulates and the shorter the life of the battery. How much shorter? Well since it's pretty much impossible to predict the lifespan in the first place even without this sort of thing happening ....

But it will not be an instantaneous catastrophic failure.
  • gww1
    Options

Coot
    Thanks for the responce. I don't know how I feel about it. I may need to maby watch the weather better altough the wether men don't always help in this. I hate the ideal of chargeing with the grid but don't like the ideal of buying new batteries ever. I may just ride it out and see what happens and bite the bullet if it ends up worse then I suspected. It is pretty hard to gaurd against getting in that situation and I do have the grid. hummm....
    Something to think about.
    Thanks
    gww
  • BB.
    Options

From what I have read (mostly here)--If they are cycling between 50-80% state of charge--That is much better than just sitting for days/weeks at 50% SOC.

In fact, running your batteries between 50-80% SOC with a charge back to >90% SOC once a week is supposed to be just fine or even "good" for the battery bank (different vendors will tell you different things, and even the vendor changes their recommendations over time). Lead Acid batteries are more efficient charging in this range (less gassing and less heat). And spend less time charging at higher SOC/Gassing/Temperatures.

-Bill
  • gww1
    Options

BB
    I was just hoping that the very minamal charge rate that I was getting on the bad days was still charging and activity and was better then the battery just sitting there at that state. I basically do the 50 to 80 percent charging for ten days till I make sure it gets a really good charge. In most cases though that means getting to atleast the 80 percent charge daily. That does not happen on the 3 to 4 day cloudy spells. For me to even get close to the 80 percent it probly takes 12 to 15 kwhs. 3kwhs is keeping it below 70 percent charge for quite a while. I was hoping that 3kwh charge was activity therefor no sulfating. I don't mind using the grid to run loads when I have to but hate to charge the battery with it. I did hear that form 50 percent to 80 percent that you basically get amp out for every amp in to a battery so maby partial charging from the grid would not actually be losing if it protected the batteries. Harder to keep track of though. I am not sure what is best. I will probly keep doing as I am and change if at some point in the future I find it hurt me worse then I thought.

Thanks
    gww
  • BB.
    Options

I really cannot answer that question--I don't know. But if you are "bouncing around" that area (charging / discharging) during that time--I guess you are OK. But, I do not know.

It may also depend on the battery design/mfg. too. Different plate materials can have different reactions to charging/discharging cycles.

-Bill
  • gww1
    Options

Thanks bill
    gww
  • treed678
    Options

I believe I will reconsider the battery chemistry while there's time (complete design is due around Jan 1). 20-80% SOC range with lifepo4 will be more durable, especially considering so many variables (weather, loads, etc); provided that appropriate disconnect/reconnect points can be set. I'll try to search the threads and look for U.S. battery & CC suppliers that will work.

Bill, you asked how usage could fluctuate so much. It's an optional source of power - basically an off grid, proof of concept. That's why use & production consistency are flexible. It does need to: 1. work when there's sun, and 2. operate for as long and with as few headaches as possible. I think of it as a bridge concept, to show people: 1. that solar power works, 2. that it's versatile (it's not always a roof mounted system with no backup, or a low performance USB charger that takes 8 hours to charge a phone; there is a middle ground), 3. that it can be durable, and 4. that costs are increasingly reasonable. Then, hopefully more people will be receptive to adding solar & RE into their lives.

I don't think I have to say that people like us in solar forums are the minority here. Some people have never seen a solar panel, and they definitely have not designed a system or know what goes into one. Most of them don't know what a kilowatt hour is (they just reluctantly "pay the bill" each month), just how lucky we are to have [basically] abundant electricity in this & other developed countries, or the external costs and risks associated with conventional energy; hence the no gas requirement. As I'm sure everyone here is aware, fossil fuels are extremely practical in the real world today, but obviously alternatives are needed. That's what the customer wants to show. It's my responsibility to prove, in this case, that solar is viable. Whew. Sorry if that sounded like a sermon. ;) That wasn't my intention at all.

You [Bill] and I are on the same page as far as cost and sizing the batteries. I never like to spend more than necessary. A smaller bank will be okay with lifepo4, and useful really with the added cost; wheareas with pb chemistry, a small(er) bank would guaranteed a shorter life. The bank can't be *so* small though that it rapidly cycles the inverter on/off due to loads; 1-2 cycles a day might be acceptable. I'm not sure. Smaller lithium size will also give me more room to add storage if it proves necessary later ...and it won't break my back doing it.

At this point I need to decide just how much storage cache they can afford (thinking 1kwh lifepo4, but less might work; I'd choose more with Pb), and find the most compatible equipment. In particular, I'll need an inverter to disconnect @ 20%, and CC to cutoff charging @ 80%.

And thank you all for your input. I can't say that enough. The advice here is top notch.
  • BB.
    Options

Solar Sermons are very common here... It goes with the territory.

And kWatt*hours is a very difficult thing to put a finger on. If you told them that 1 gallon of gasoline in a genset is around 3-5 kWH -- It would probably give them a better feeling for what they are looking for from a battery bank/solar array.

A 1 kWH battery bank call it 80 AH @ 12 VDC) is roughly the equivalent of a quart of gasoline (~4 kWH per gallon).

Just one "full sized" laptop used heavily most of the day can use that amount of power. Or 5-10 small/low power laptops/tablets used a few hours per day)...

Hmm... I wonder if they would like/live with Ipad/Android tablets (with keyboards, if needed). Those are very low power even compared to most laptops. Some sort of WIFI network, printer(s), storage/file transfer, etc. will add to the power needs (or a small Raspberry Pi running Linux as a server, outside internet access???).

My sermons tend to run towards conservation and knowing your loads--The rest is just math, time, and money (the actual solar system).

If much of the power is consumed during daylight hours--Over paneling the system (panels sized to directly power loads + recharge battery bank in a reasonable time with loads running) will be very useful--Power most of your loads from the panel and the battery bank just covers the occasional clouds/morning/Evening power needs.

-"Preacher" Bill
  • treed678
    Options

That last section is what I feel I should target, "over paneling." Today I learned there's a name for that. ;) #1 is that it keeps costs low.

It gets hairy trying to guess loads, days of clouds, and so on. I think it'll be better more simple to say to the customer: "This is what it will do on: 1. sunny day, 2. partly cloudy/partly sunny, and 3. 'Looks like Mordor outside today,'" which is inevitable in winter. And maybe, "To keep costs reasonable, you have enough storage for stable production [for X many & types of devices] during good weather ...AND your equipment won't break if demand exceeds production." Vaguely promising enough?

I think it will be more important that there are no frequent service issues, subsequent maintenance costs, etc. Just 'build it good' and walk away kind of thing. I'll confirm that and present estimates to show what it might costs to plan for "24/7, 365" power, which is what true off grid means, and as we all know can be extremely expensive, and never quite 100% possible anyway. I don't think it'll take much convincing to go with the smaller storage option. Maybe that will convince folks to use less demanding devices too?

Nearly/maybe every load will be transient, as in walking by or sitting for a while to charge. Think outdoor coffee shop (sorry for being secretive!). If they "run out of gas," in the day or into the evening ...no problem for the equipment; they'll simply have to wait until the sun's back out or get power somewhere else for power. Fortunately that *is* an option. And we all know "THAT guy" will come and drain all the power. Nothing can be done except ask him to take his energy leeching self somewhere else. But who knows... that guy could become a solar advocate in the process. I hope so.

-Brother T
  • Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options

Why "No Generator"? with an AGS (Automatic Gen Start) a propane inverter/generator and AGM batteries the system could be set up so the technically deficient needn't have any concern. That kind of set up could easily go 90 days or more between visits/maintenance checks.

In my humble opinion one can't go off-grid without a genny, unless you want to spend 25 grand on batteries. Even then, with weather like we have had this summer I doubt 5,000 Ah of storage would have been enough.
  • treed678
    Options

Hi AlaskaMan,

That was suggested and I agree with it 100% for personal use on private property. "No gen" is the customer rule, not mine. It makes sense though since the environment, high traffic public area, isn't really appropriate for the application.