Mounting electrical components of solar system

Options
bratan
bratan Solar Expert Posts: 32
Just looking for some ideas about mounting PV support components (charge controller, fuses, inverter, etc.) for a small off grid system.
I've seen on pictures people just using wood/mdf panels. Is it a way to go? Would love to see some pictures :)

Comments

• microage97
    microage97 Registered Users Posts: 12
    Options
    Re: Mounting electrical components of solar system

Me too! My set up is going to have to be temporary until I can get a shop build or some such.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here's shot of my new system before the battery was wired in, The lines from the combiner box come in through the back.
    Attachment not found.

This is the shot of my older cabin system box, The batteries sit in the right hand side, the hole top hinges up, the left hand cantilevered side is the power center;
    Attachment not found.with an all in one charger and breakers with a built in charge controller all pre wired. I wish someone would do this now, I think it would get more people who question their ability to wire a system up to do systems. I know you can get a prewired Midnite system, with even the inverter prewired. I just like this for simplicity, Of course the original price in 1999 was around $1500, picking it up for $250 in 2005 was a steel, sorry for the ugly wiring, I just hooked it back up to show it running, I had taken the inverter to my new system;Attachment not found.

You might also look through the "Show me yours..." thread
    1.jpg 78.4K
    2.jpg 58.4K
    3.jpg 109.8K
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bratan wrote: »
    I've seen on pictures people just using wood/mdf panels. Is it a way to go?

The best practice is to mount it on a non-combustible surface. Electrical panels and power electronics can get very hot when there is a loose or corroded connection. A non combustible surface is an extra measure of safety. A masonry wall would be best, but on a framed wall I think cement board or sheetrock would be better than plywood or paneling.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • bratan
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    The best practice is to mount it on a non-combustible surface. Electrical panels and power electronics can get very hot when there is a loose or corroded connection. A non combustible surface is an extra measure of safety. A masonry wall would be best, but on a framed wall I think cement board or sheetrock would be better than plywood or paneling.

--vtMaps

Yeah that's the first thing I saw in the charge controller manual :) Cement board is an excellent idea BTW!
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Awesome thread! It looks like everyone's stuff is mounted to plywood :)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

And don't forget the floor under the electrical wiring. In my past jobs, spent a lot of our system design time on fire prevention and ensuring that fire does not spread from inside the enclosure.

I realize that mounting to plywood is easy--But I (and a few others here) are on a crusade for fire safety with power systems here. We are so used to how (relatively) safe our homes are with utility power--We forget how easy it is for fire to start in even a well designed power system. Poor electrical connections, a little water gets in and causes some corrosion, etc... And it does not take much to light off the plywood or some burning/dripping wiring insulation starts the raw wood floor/carpeting on fire.

Similar thoughts in keeping the generator+fuel away from the rest of the home/other structures on the property. Limit risk of a single fire spreading quickly and causing injury/death/large property losses.

Battery systems use much larger cabling than most grid connected homes... A 12 volt system has 10x the AC current (15 amps at 120 VAC turns into 150 Amps at 12 VDC)--As large (or larger) than most main AC panels in a utility connected home.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Options

Mine's on MDF. I have a fire extinguisher mounted just out of frame on the left.

Attachment not found.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bratan wrote: »
    Yeah that's the first thing I saw in the charge controller manual :) Cement board is an excellent idea BTW!

Awesome thread! It looks like everyone's stuff is mounted to plywood :)

I am NOT discounting the safety of cement board or a sheet metal, Most components are designed to be raised above the mounting surface. Indeed I should have used the mounts for my Epanel which would raise it off the backing more than the short spacers I used. Also tempts bugs who like warm dry spaces. I lost a charge controller to a bug in the past...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Plowman
    Plowman Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have my stuff mounted on plywood. I keep the batteries in a big Rubbermaid, and the charge controller and inverter in a separate smaller Rubbermaid. Both the plywood and Rubbermaids are probably highly flammable. But I needed to find a solution within my very constrained budget, so I went with what I already had on hand. On the up side, this system is in a cargo trailer more than 100' from my residence, so if it did burst into flames it wouldn't kill me in my sleep.

I'd like to build a couple custom enclosures. Bill's comment about fire prevention has me rethinking my plans, I was thinking of wood because that's what I know how to work with, but now I'm thinking metal, maybe some re-purposed cabinets from a construction salvage place nearby. And instead of plywood for mounting the components, maybe using cement board or Type X drywall.

How heavy is cement board? I would prefer to mount the components enclosure (charge controller, inverter, battery charger) on a 2x4 post in my cargo trailer, so it can't be too heavy.
  • bratan
    Options

I think I'm going to use plywood/MDF and pieces of sheet metal (salvaged from some electronic enclosures) under charge controller and inverter... Cement board is pretty heavy
  • bratan
    Options

For now I mounted all on plywood :)
    Attachment not found.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wheres your fusing at?
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• bratan
    Options
    zoneblue wrote: »
    Wheres your fusing at?

I have my 60 Amp fuse very close to battery on the wire. It's just hanging...
  • verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
    Options

Got mine on wood but all in conduit andIMAG0480_zpshxc91d4a.jpg