BTS on Trojan L-16-RE-B

jcheil
jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know where I could put the BTS on these batteries? The sides of the case are not flat, they are a raised checker-type pattern. I'm not thinking it would stick well, nor provide accurate readings because there will be an air gap between most of the sensor and the battery case.
Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html

Comments

• DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Re: BTS on Trojan L-16-RE-B
    jcheil wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could put the BTS on these batteries? The sides of the case are not flat, they are a raised checker-type pattern. I'm not thinking it would stick well, nor provide accurate readings because there will be an air gap between most of the sensor and the battery case.

What charge controller do you have? If this is the type that has the ability to go on the battery terminal bolt .. I would use that instead. Be careful of not making the rookie mistake of putting the BTS in-between the Battery terminal and the Battery wire-lug.
  • jcheil
    DMJ72 wrote: »
    What charge controller do you have? If this is the type that has the ability to go on the battery terminal bolt .. I would use that instead. Be careful of not making the rookie mistake of putting the BTS in-between the Battery terminal and the Battery wire-lug.

All my equipment is in my SIG, and it is the Outback BTS/RTS. Flat, about 1" by 3" rectangle, 1/8" thick with adhesive tape on the back. No way to get it on a post that I am aware of.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

Oh, yes. Well I had that problem with the Outback BTS. Remember it just needs to be in the general vicinity of the battery, what I ended up doing with new Rolls that have a similar checkered pattern was to use duct tape to fix it to the side of a battery, half-way in-between the bank so it gets the average temperature.
  • jcheil
    DMJ72 wrote: »
    Remember it just needs to be in the general vicinity of the battery

I'm not sure if that is entirely accurate?
    I was under the impression that it needs the temperature of the BATTERY itself, not the ambient temperature around the battery. Because that temperature differential could be quite a bit.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Sandwich it between two of the batteries; it will be accurate enough.
  • jcheil
    Sandwich it between two of the batteries; it will be accurate enough.

Preference on position? Top/Middle/Bottom of the battery?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    jcheil wrote: »
    Preference on position? Top/Middle/Bottom of the battery?

Midway. Diagonal. Vertical.
    Horizontal across the top or bottom would probably be least accurate.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Stick/glue/caulk a piece of hollowed out insulation (Styrofoam, etc.) over the temp sensor... Good enough on average. Batteries are not going to change 10 degrees / minute--The thermal lag from battery to sensor will not be noticeable, and insulation stops air currents from biasing measurements.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset