differing types of invertes question

Options
elesaver
elesaver Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
There are grid-tied and off-grid inverters. Since the newer inverter technology allows use of a battery bank option with a grid-tied inverter, then isn't it a good idea to have a grid-tied inverter even though it is primarily being used for off grid only? Options are always good but perhaps not here?
1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: differing types of invertes question
    elesaver wrote: »
    There are grid-tied and off-grid inverters. Since the newer inverter technology allows use of a battery bank option with a grid-tied inverter, then isn't it a good idea to have a grid-tied inverter even though it is primarily being used for off grid only? Options are always good but perhaps not here?

There are three types:

1). Grid-tie inverter. No batteries involved and batteries can not be used. PV goes direct to AC system.

2). Off-grid inverter. Requires batteries and can not sell back to grid.

3). Hybrid inverter. Basically and off-grid inverter (requires batteries to function) that can sell back to grid or sync with a generator. Can provide the functions of a GTI but also give power back-up when the grid goes down.

There is no GTI that can have batteries added later as far as I know.

Why by an inverter that has capabilities you won't ever use?
    If you buy a hybrid inverter you have the added expense of batteries and charge controller over a standard grid-tie system. if your outages are infrequent and short-lived you will have made a large capital investment in equipment you don't really need. The batteries will die over time whether used or not.
  • elesaver
    Options

"Why by an inverter that has capabilities you won't ever use?
    If you buy a hybrid inverter you have the added expense of batteries and charge controller over a standard grid-tie system. if your outages are infrequent and short-lived you will have made a large capital investment in equipment you don't really need. The batteries will die over time whether used or not."

I fully understand this rationale. But, what about the opposite situation? The goal is to be off grid but would there be instances where this may not continue to be possible? I'm just trying to cover all the bases, so the speak.
    1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

• Cariboocoot
    Options
    I fully understand this rationale. But, what about the opposite situation? The goal is to be off grid but would there be instances where this may not continue to be possible? I'm just trying to cover all the bases, so the speak.

I don't know: would there? How likely is it that the grid would come to where the off-grid install is now?

At my cabin: zero chance. No one is going to run power lines across miles of public and private land to power half a dozen part-time homes.

However if you feel the grid might be installed one day there's more than one option. You could use the grid with an off-grid inverter-charger; the utility power acting as a sort of generator. You could switch over to a GT inverter when the time comes, as you'd be laying out a fair amount of money for the installation anyway. Or you could start out with a hybrid inverter and be "ready to go" as it were, providing the utility will allow back-feeding.

It all depends on present circumstances and the unpredictable changes in the future.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I fully understand this rationale. But, what about the opposite situation? The goal is to be off grid but would there be instances where this may not continue to be possible?

I'm trying to imagine what would cause that, other than a conscious decision by the off grid system owner. Is there some other scenario you have in mind?
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • elesaver
    Options

I guess the "boiled down question" is whether or not a hybrid grid tie could be used in a fully off grid situation or are they designed for emergency only off grid use and the use of one for full time power would be harder on the inverter itself?

• verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
    Options

I built my system primarily as a back-up with batteries. The thought of it just sitting there doing nothing while the grid is available was hard to swallow so I opted for a grid interactive inverter that decreases the electric bill as long as the batteries are topped up. As far as straight up grid tied goes for me there would have been a lot of aggravation to look at all of those solar panels doing nothing during an outage.

Although a generator is a much cheaper back-up option for short outages I feel pretty good about my investment. In today's world you never know what a day will bring.
  • elesaver
    Options

After some diligent searching, I have found that the hybrid type of inverters are not recommended for off-grid use. This doesn't mean they CAN'T be used, but they are not recommended. There ya' have it! Thanks all. You are the best!

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After some diligent searching, I have found that the hybrid type of inverters are not recommended for off-grid use. This doesn't mean they CAN'T be used, but they are not recommended. There ya' have it! Thanks all. You are the best!
    Please do not overgeneralize. When you are off grid and have to rely on a generator for occasional charging and for large loads like doing the wash or cooking a big dinned with electricity, a hybrid system with what is called "generator support" mode (not just autostart!), as found in some Xantrex models, can make the difference between a good experience and a bad one.
    If you do not have that scale of power need, then the added expense of a hybrid system is generally not justified for truly off-grid.
    Often a grid tie system and a separate UPS system and generator, without any permanent link to your solar PV, may be the most economical when you want to have standby power in the mix.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

This is incorrect. Quite a number of off-grid systems use inverters like the XW or Radian or GTVFX without any issues.

You may be getting confused with utilizing back-up UPS systems as off-grid inverters which often does not work (depending on the UPS in question).
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess the "boiled down question" is whether or not a hybrid grid tie could be used in a fully off grid situation or are they designed for emergency only off grid use and the use of one for full time power would be harder on the inverter itself?

As the others have mentioned, that is not correct. If you learn about AC and DC coupling, you will have a better understanding of these inverters.

Suppose you want to run a 2500 watt AC load and you have a 4000 watt off-grid inverter and a 2000 watt generator. Your battery bank cannot sustain the load without help from the generator. The sun is behind clouds. Here are three ways to manage the situation: (in the examples, there are no inefficiency losses)

DC coupling:
    The generator runs through a stand-alone battery charger to push 2000 watts of DC onto the battery bus.
    The off-grid inverter draws 2500 watts from the battery bus.
    The sun, through the charge controller, is contributing only 100 watts to the battery bus.
    The batteries contribute 400 watts to the battery bus.

Note: all loads and power sources are combined at the battery bus.

AC coupling with two inverters:
    The generator output contributes 2000 watts to the AC bus.
    The load pulls 2500 watts from the AC bus.
    The sun, through a grid-tie inverter, contributes 100 watts to the AC bus.
    The batteries, through a hybrid inverter, contribute 400 watts to the AC bus.

Note: all loads and power sources are combined at the AC bus. This can be very tricky... all sources must have their AC waveforms synchronized. One source must be the 'master' to which the others synchronize. There must be a way for the hybrid inverter to tell the grid-tie inverter to stop making power if the battery is charged and there is no load.

Combinations:
    You can mix AC and DC coupling. In the above AC coupling example, the sun could make its contribution through a charge controller directly to the battery, but let the hybrid inverter and the generator be combined on the AC bus.

Generally, AC coupling is more efficient. DC coupling is more robust and you can mix and match power sources and loads that do not need to communicate or synchronize.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I guess it depends on what hybrid inverter means to you. My XW6048 is a hybrid and this is the first I've heard this.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,