SWWP Charge Controller work around

E-dub
E-dub Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭
Hi Folks,
I have something to ask that may or may not have an answer.

What I got: I have a Whisper 100 that is okay but the original charge controller seems to have a problem with burning out circuit boards in the original controller setup. This has happened about 3 times over the last 9 years, always during one of our sustained high wind events, arctic blasts of 40-50 mph for a week or two.

Usually I have a separate C-40 and dump load working but sometimes I drop it off line for several days and the Whisper charge controller is left to do the job of regulating with the built-in resistor setup. I am not trying to figure out why the board burns up, at this point, because I will not use the factory setup again but would like to get the turbine up and running for the winter.

As a solution I figure I should get a bridge rectifier, a blocking diode, kill switch and heat sink, what ever is needed to make the turbine AC DC. Another resort is the Midnite Solar Classic/Clipper but I am just not ready to spend the bucks on this Whisper that has a questionable future in my life.

My big burning question is, can I use the rectifier from the SWWP charge controller? The problematic circuit board overlays the area where the AC lines come in and the DC goes out. Is it possible to bypass the board and just use the basic parts? I am making an assumption that the circuit board is the problem, again. In this condition the turbine acts like the shut-off switch is activated. (in the picture the red shut off indicator is on, it just happens to be switched in that position). Each time this happened before, a simple board swap took care of the problem.

Thanks for any ideas.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: SWWP Charge Controller work around

be careful of putting a "crowbar" short across the turbine, because the rapid brakeing can be really hard on the mechanical components (think of broomstick into bicycle spokes at speed)

do the ruined PCB's show signs of heating on the G-10 board material ? What blows on the boards when they fail - diodes ? IC's ? ??
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• E-dub

Mike,
    I have no idea what fails. The board looks fine, no burns, discolorations, or any clues as to what happens. I am holding a failed circuit board in my hand and feel like a dog watching T.V. All I know is each of the three times the turbine locked up, a new board corrected the problem. It was always under warranty so I never thought much about it. If I disconnect the 3 wires coming from the turbine, it spins in the breeze. Hook it up and it is locked down again.

To avoid the crowbar stop, what would be a soft stop recommendation? Always wondered about the switches that just short the 3 AC wires. Figured there must be more to it than that. Only had to shut it down in high winds one time when the bearings failed in a wind event. It was hardly spinning at that point. Another time the actual turbine broke, well it broke as in "cracked at furling pin and tumbled from the tower". Yep, I probably need a more robust machine.

Rick
  • Brianellul
    Brianellul Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭
    E-dub wrote: »
    Mike,
    I have no idea what fails. The board looks fine, no burns, discolorations, or any clues as to what happens. I am holding a failed circuit board in my hand and feel like a dog watching T.V. All I know is each of the three times the turbine locked up, a new board corrected the problem. It was always under warranty so I never thought much about it. If I disconnect the 3 wires coming from the turbine, it spins in the breeze. Hook it up and it is locked down again.

To avoid the crowbar stop, what would be a soft stop recommendation? Always wondered about the switches that just short the 3 AC wires. Figured there must be more to it than that. Only had to shut it down in high winds one time when the bearings failed in a wind event. It was hardly spinning at that point. Another time the actual turbine broke, well it broke as in "cracked at furling pin and tumbled from the tower". Yep, I probably need a more robust machine.

Rick

I have adopted a soft stop on my smaller Air-X turbine. You can read the details here . Basically I first short the turbine 3-phases across 3 power resistors, then I short them totally... using relays
  • E-dub

Nice design Brian. Thanks for the ideas and info.

Rick