Solar For Lighting

2»

Comments

• Epiales
    Epiales Registered Users Posts: 15
    Re: Solar For Lighting
    ILFE wrote: »
    Click here for circuit protection devices (fuses, breakers and such). I use Midnite Solar DIN Rail breakers for all my circuit protection now. NAWS sells them for $11.00 USD each. They are quality pieces of hardware.

If the longest you go is 8 hours without power, I wouldn't worry too much about the refrigerator, especially if it is a newer unit. It should hold the temperature, especially if full, for that length of time.

Honestly, others here may agree, I wouldn't go with solar if you are only going without power a couple of times per month. You should probably be looking at a small generator instead. Although I have never owned one (I haven't taken the time to look for one in my local voltage, 220vac / 50hz), here are some units that are pretty popular. Click here to view Honda Generators.

I feel you would get more "bang for your buck" if you were to do that. A generator would also run your refrigerator, if you found you were to be without power for a longer period of time. Not to mention, by the time you ever built a solar power system that would provide you with 2,000 or 3,000 continuous watts of power, you would have a lot more money in it than you would a generator. Those little hondas are pretty quiet, to boot. Listen to them when Kenny demonstrates his:

Buying one would take the pleasure our of making on u'reself LOL! I'm determined to make it solar. One reason is because we have a cabin out back that does't have any electricity or water hookups or anything, and eventually I will want to create something solar over there. So want to start off with just simple lighting and move on from there. Wouldn't be bad to have that generator for even a backup though. Thanks for the vid.

Blessings,

EPIALES