Solar For Lighting

Epiales
Epiales Registered Users Posts: 15
Hey all,

Very new to solar stuff, but learn quick. I have been searching the internet and learning what I can. I would like to set up something for lighting int he house for when we lose electric, which we do quite frequently. I'm sick of using flashlights to get around.

Now I am looking into getting some of the lights from goalzero... http://www.goalzero.com/p/18/light-a-life-led-lantern

To run just ONE of those, I would like just a small setup that I can build myself, and just have the ability to use it when we lose our lights.

I see that it's 3 watts, so I would assume that is 3 watts per hour. Appears to be a 12v bulb.

Now could I feasibly do this using some 18650 Lithium Ion batteries parallel? Or should I buy some type of 12v battery and put a place in some box to have it work with the 12v cord?

Would also need to run the light at least 8 hours out of the day, or at least that is what I have planned for any emergencies.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Blessings,

EPIALES

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    Re: Solar For Lighting

Welcome to the forum Epiales!
    Epiales wrote: »
    I see that it's 3 watts, so I would assume that is 3 watts per hour. Appears to be a 12v bulb.

I am not sure if that is a 3 Watt bulb (most likely LED) or not--I am not real familiar with Goal Zero's interconnected hardware (my small system is not 12 volt--But it is not the same as this one).
    Now could I feasibly do this using some 18650 Lithium Ion batteries parallel? Or should I buy some type of 12v battery and put a place in some box to have it work with the 12v cord?

Working with Li Ion batteries can be an issue--And in some cases a safety issue too. There are lots of 18650 cells out there--Some with under/over voltage protection and some "bare cells"--The bare cells are nice, but you must know what you are doing or you risk killing an expensive battery or even starting a fire. Some Lithium Ion chemistries are very sensitive to improper operation (people can use bare cells to fit into smaller applications--such as flashlights).

I do not know enough about the 18650 universe of Li Ion batteries--I am sure that there are folks here who do...

But for some further reading, this forum offers way too much information and ways to spend your monies on flashlight related projects:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?107-Smoke-and-Fire-Hot-Cells-and-Close-Calls-The-dangerous-side-of-batteries

They have a whole bunch of information on Li Ion 18650 (and other) rechargeable cells.
    Would also need to run the light at least 8 hours out of the day, or at least that is what I have planned for any emergencies.

If you have a 3 watt light... Then (note that Watts is a rate, like Miles per Hour; and Watt*Hours is an amount, like Miles driven):

3 watts * 12 hours = 66 Watt*Hours of energy

If you have 2 hours of sun (deep winter in the more northern latitude), and assume a 60% end to end solar to charge controller to battery bank efficiency:

36 Watt*Hours * 1/0.60 system eff * 1/2 hours minimum average sun in winter = 30 Watt panel minimum
    Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

The above is more of an example of how the math would be done... There is some guess work above (system efficiency) and Hours of Sun (want to use light in winter--Or do you want to use in summer when you have 5+ hours of sun per day, etc.).

This is a relatively small/lower power application. For the most part, while we are very happy to help--We tend to have larger systems (i.e., powering a small RV/Trailer, cabin, or even up to off grid houses).

The "answers" to the questions tend to be pretty sensitive to power levels... Smaller applications will use completely different hardware vs something large enough to power an off grid cabin or home. So understanding your loads is very important--As is conservation (it is cheaper to conserve power than to generate power).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Epiales

Like I said, I'm fairly new to things, but can someone check what calcuations I have done please?

Like I said, the lights use 3 watts.

1 Light = 10 hours usage X 3 watts/hr = 30 Watts usage

3 light = 30 Watts X 3 = 90 Watts usualge

Now I have a 100W 12V solar panel already...

100/12 = 8.3 amps

using a 12V 30a Battery giving 360 watts usage

1 light = 30watts/8.3 or estimated 8X4 = 32watts= 4 hours to recharge the battery to full

3 light = 90watts/8.3 or estimated 11X8 = 88watts= 11 hours to recharge the battery to full

Is that technically the way it is? Or am I way off?

Blessings,

EPIALES
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Terminology and math!

3 Watts used for 10 hours = 10 Watt hours.
    Three such loads = 90 Watt hours.

12 Volt 30 Amp hour battery = 360 Watt hours capacity.
    Divide by 90 Watt hours = 4 'uses' 'til totally dead battery. At 50% SOC approximately 2 'uses'. Each use being a 10 hour period as prescribed above.

Or 360 Watt hours battery capacity / 2 = 180 usable Watt hours / 9 Watts of lights = 20 hours run time.

The solar panel recharges the battery. A 100 Watt panel produces about 5.7 Amps @ 17.5 Vmp (needed for charging a 12 Volt system), more than enough to recharge a 30 Amp hour battery in a typical sunny day. There would still be a need for a charge controller, and charging is not linear. It is not a matter of 'X' Amps over 'Y' hours = 'XY' Amp hours.
  • Epiales
    Terminology and math!

3 Watts used for 10 hours = 10 Watt hours.
    Three such loads = 90 Watt hours.

12 Volt 30 Amp hour battery = 360 Watt hours capacity.
    Divide by 90 Watt hours = 4 'uses' 'til totally dead battery. At 50% SOC approximately 2 'uses'. Each use being a 10 hour period as prescribed above.

Or 360 Watt hours battery capacity / 2 = 180 usable Watt hours / 9 Watts of lights = 20 hours run time.

The solar panel recharges the battery. A 100 Watt panel produces about 5.7 Amps @ 17.5 Vmp (needed for charging a 12 Volt system), more than enough to recharge a 30 Amp hour battery in a typical sunny day. There would still be a need for a charge controller, and charging is not linear. It is not a matter of 'X' Amps over 'Y' hours = 'XY' Amp hours.

Okay, so sounds like my calculations are about right then. If I do a setup like this, I just need the charge controller then. So since the Panel is 8.3amps, would I use a 10amp or something like a 30amp charge controller? Oh, and of course, an inverter would be needed.

10 amp - http://www.amazon.com/amtonseeshop-Charge-Controller-Regulator-Switch/dp/B00IFYKSY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410188691&sr=8-1&keywords=10a+pwm+charge+Controller

30 amp - http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Controller-Regulator-Battery-Charging/dp/B00BCTLIHC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1410188479&sr=8-5&keywords=30W+charge+Controller

And this would be something where I would mount the solar panel so it will constantly be charging batteries.

Blessings,

EPIALES
  • Cariboocoot

You would not need more than a 10 Amp controller for that one panel.

One with an LVD to prevent excessive battery discharge would be nice.

Or you can get really fancy and buy one with lighting control built in: http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/chco/mochco/solico/sunsolligcon.html
  • Epiales

Or you can get really fancy and buy one with lighting control built in: http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/chco/mochco/solico/sunsolligcon.html

Okay, so the 10amp charge controller that I have linked to, or the one you have will work fine?

And hard to find a good inverter that's cheap.... I figured a 500W would be cheaper than 1000W, but not really.... so this will work fine?

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-PW1100-12-Inverter-1100/dp/B000NIG2FG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1410189575&sr=8-5&keywords=Pure-Sine+Wave+Battery+Inverter+12V+Input

Or maybe a 400W inverter?

Blessings,

EPIALES

*EDIT* And since the lighting I have has a plug for like a car cig lighter, I could use this to plug the light into for power by just connecting it to the battery:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Motorcycle-Motorbike-12V-120W-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Socket-Plug-Outlet-/360525131938
  • Cariboocoot
    Okay, so the 10amp charge controller that I have linked to, or the one you have will work fine?

And hard to find a good inverter that's cheap.... I figured a 500W would be cheaper than 1000W, but not really.... so this will work fine?

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-PW1100-12-Inverter-1100/dp/B000NIG2FG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1410189575&sr=8-5&keywords=Pure-Sine+Wave+Battery+Inverter+12V+Input

Or maybe a 400W inverter?

Blessings,

EPIALES

That is not a good inverter. Frankly you can tell by the price. It costs more than that for the components that make a good inverter. That one will be a cheap MSW piece of junk.

Now, why are we talking about inverters? There is a big switch between running a few small DC lights and powering up for 120 VAC. For example all inverters have a conversion efficiency and a self-consumption factor. This means it actually takes more power from the batteries than goes to the loads themselves.

I wouldn't try to fire up a 1kW inverter from a 30 Amp hour battery. Or even a very small 150 Watt one (which could draw 15 Amps).

Here are some good quality small inverters from Samlex/Cotec: http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/inverters/sasiwain1/samlex-pst-series-pure-sine-wave-inverters.html

If you buy cheap stuff, expect to get cheap stuff. Don't expect quality, functionality, or longevity.

And no I do not work for NAWS, but they do fund the forum so it's just courtesy to link to them as an information source.
  • Epiales
    I wouldn't try to fire up a 1kW inverter from a 30 Amp hour battery. Or even a very small 150 Watt one (which could draw 15 Amps).

Here are some good quality small inverters from Samlex/Cotec: http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/inverters/sasiwain1/samlex-pst-series-pure-sine-wave-inverters.html

Okay, you say that you wouldn't try to fire up even a 150 wat inverter, but the link you gave only shows the samllest at 150... is that the one you suggest?

And looking around, I could use this AC to DC to run the lamp... it's cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Charger-Outlet-Adapter-100V-AC-to-12V-DC-Black/191319066073?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D333001%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D23491%26meid%3Dde386385b44e47b385ca45004656a850%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D10073%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D161411219324

Blessings,

EPIALES
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

or back to your original idea look at these: http://nokero.com/

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Okay, you say that you wouldn't try to fire up even a 150 wat inverter, but the link you gave only shows the samllest at 150... is that the one you suggest?

And looking around, I could use this AC to DC to run the lamp... it's cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Charger-Outlet-Adapter-100V-AC-to-12V-DC-Black/191319066073?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D333001%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D23491%26meid%3Dde386385b44e47b385ca45004656a850%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D10073%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D161411219324

Blessings,

EPIALES

Now I'm getting confused.

What you link to there converts 120 VAC into 12 VDC.
    An inverter converts 12 VDC to 120 VAC.
    The original lights you link to are 12 VDC. Quote the link: "PLEASE NOTE: The Light-a-Life bulb is a 12V light bulb and not meant for a 110V socket."

So why are we now talking about 120 VAC?
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭

Epiales,

First, to run these lights you have mentioned - and posted a link to, you will not require an inverter. You will run them directly off 12vdc. They are not AC powered lights. Furthermore, you do not need a cigarette lighter plug to power your lights. I would wire them directly to the circuit, with appropriately sized circuit protection (fuse or DC breaker).

The controller coot mentioned in his post (quoted immediately above), happens to be the very controller I use for exterior lighting around my g/f's farm, here in Cambodia. It has ten settings for lighting control. (I will attach an image showing my lighting schematic and the options for the controller.) It also has LVD (low voltage disconnect) to keep from over discharging your battery. I feel as though it would be perfect for your application.

See the image attached, below.

Attachment not found.
    Paul
  • Epiales
    ILFE wrote: »
    Epiales,

First, to run these lights you have mentioned - and posted a link to, you will not require an inverter. You will run them directly off 12vdc. They are not AC powered lights. Furthermore, you do not need a cigarette lighter plug to power your lights. I would wire them directly to the circuit, with appropriately sized circuit protection (fuse or DC breaker).

The controller coot mentioned in his post (quoted immediately above), happens to be the very controller I use for exterior lighting around my g/f's farm, here in Cambodia. It has ten settings for lighting control. (I will attach an image showing my lighting schematic and the options for the controller.) It also has LVD (low voltage disconnect) to keep from over discharging your battery. I feel as though it would be perfect for your application.

See the image attached, below.

I try and enlarge the image but it gets blurry lol! As stated, I'm fairly new to doing this... But looking at the conversation I've had, it might not be a bad idea to have it setup with the inverter, as runing one or 3 lights that are only 3watt won't use all the battery, or even half. So it might come in handy to be able to charge other things via the inverter.

I geuss if it were just the lights being 12V 3watt, I could just run the Panel to the controller, directly to the battery, and then the lights straight off the battery without the need of an inverter. Or do I have that wrong?

Sorry It's getting confusing. Just seeing the options that have been given, or suggestions, and trying to figure out what would be best.

*EDITED* Notice images is bigger lol... ty
  • Epiales
    westbranch wrote: »
    or back to your original idea look at these: http://nokero.com/

That last one looks like a pretty good light. I might invest in a few of them instead.
  • westbranch

if you are going to charge phones etc, there are 'car chargers' that can be direct connected to the battery without an inverter... then it is DC > DC rather than DC> AC > DC

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • westbranch

there are more http://store.nokero.com/Solar-Lights-s/1826.htm

• Cariboocoot

Do not run an inverter unless you really need 120 VAC. The losses involved in going up from 12 VDC to 120 VDC and then back down to whatever Voltage is needed to power the chargers are significant. As westbranch said, go with the car adapters directly. It is much more efficient.

And as I mentioned before even the smallest of inverters would overwhelm a 30 Amp hour battery. If you need inverter power you need a larger battery, and that means you would then need more solar panels and a larger controller for recharging.
  • Epiales
    Do not run an inverter unless you really need 120 VAC. The losses involved in going up from 12 VDC to 120 VDC and then back down to whatever Voltage is needed to power the chargers are significant. As westbranch said, go with the car adapters directly. It is much more efficient.

And as I mentioned before even the smallest of inverters would overwhelm a 30 Amp hour battery. If you need inverter power you need a larger battery, and that means you would then need more solar panels and a larger controller for recharging.

Okay, I have the 100W 12v panel already, but going to use it for something else....

So to start with what we've been talking about here, would a kit be cheaper to start with? Or can I find the parts cheaper individually?

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/solar-panel-starter-kit-100w-1pc-100w-solar-panel-pwm-30a-charge/251682937.html?listingId=301736463&sclid=pla_google_Renogy&adid=29963&gclid=CNjL5-fk0cACFQto7AodgXgAcA

From looking, all I think I'd need would be the lithium battery...

Blessings,

EPIALES
  • ILFE
    I try and enlarge the image but it gets blurry lol! As stated, I'm fairly new to doing this... But looking at the conversation I've had, it might not be a bad idea to have it setup with the inverter, as runing one or 3 lights that are only 3watt won't use all the battery, or even half. So it might come in handy to be able to charge other things via the inverter.

I geuss if it were just the lights being 12V 3watt, I could just run the Panel to the controller, directly to the battery, and then the lights straight off the battery without the need of an inverter. Or do I have that wrong?

Sorry It's getting confusing. Just seeing the options that have been given, or suggestions, and trying to figure out what would be best.

*EDITED* Notice images is bigger lol... ty

It's good to think of expansion, especially in an area where you may need it. However, your primary concern, when you first began this thread, was lighting.

If you wish to get into inverters and AC circuits, you are talking added power needed for your system. You are talking about more inefficiencies that will cause loss of power, therefore expanding your system further by adding more storage (batteries) and generation (solar panels). Keep in mind that, if you go with a single 10 ampere charge controller, like the one coot mentioned, you will be replacing that sooner than you may think.

My point here is, if you are considering powering other things, aside from only lighting, you should rethink exactly WHAT you want to power, prior to doing anything. Otherwise, you may spend money now, and have to spend more later, due to poor planning the first time. Trust me here. I speak from experience.
    Paul
  • ILFE
    Okay, I have the 100W 12v panel already, but going to use it for something else....

So to start with what we've been talking about here, would a kit be cheaper to start with? Or can I find the parts cheaper individually?

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/solar-panel-starter-kit-100w-1pc-100w-solar-panel-pwm-30a-charge/251682937.html?listingId=301736463&sclid=pla_google_Renogy&adid=29963&gclid=CNjL5-fk0cACFQto7AodgXgAcA

From looking, all I think I'd need would be the lithium battery...

Blessings,

EPIALES

Again, as we posted about the same time, previously, you need to think about everything you wish to power, prior to buying anything. Once you know what you wish to power, you can determine watt hours (watts a given appliance uses times the hours powered), battery bank size, and controller and array sizes.
    Paul
  • Cariboocoot
    It's good to think of expansion, especially in an area where you may need it. However, your primary concern, when you first began this thread, was lighting.

If you wish to get into inverters and AC circuits, you are talking added power needed for your system. You are talking about more inefficiencies that will cause loss of power, therefore expanding your system further by adding more storage (batteries) and generation (solar panels). Keep in mind that, if you go with a single 10 ampere charge controller, like the one coot mentioned, you will be replacing that sooner than you may think.

My point here is, if you are considering powering other things, aside from only lighting, you should rethink exactly WHAT you want to power, prior to doing anything. Otherwise, you may spend money now, and have to spend more later, due to poor planning the first time. Trust me here. I speak from experience.

This is 100% correct and accurate.

With any off-grid system you have to define how much power you need to supply or else you will suffer for it. These systems are by no means easy to expand.
  • Epiales
    Again, as we posted about the same time, previously, you need to think about everything you wish to power, prior to buying anything. Once you know what you wish to power, you can determine watt hours (watts a given appliance uses times the hours powered), battery bank size, and controller and array sizes.

Yes, I want to be able to power up to 3 of the lights that are 3 watt each, but the http://store.nokero.com/Hurion-Solar-Light-Bulb-and-Charger-p/n222.htm is making me think a bit more about what I might need. I see that it can be charged with an AC adapter into the USB port. So not only have I confused everyone here, I'm a bit more confused myself :blush::blush::blush:

I just need a basic system to run some lighting using the 100W solar panel and the 12V 30Amp or even 12V 12Amp battery.

I started with a basic light from goalzero that is 12V and uses 3W's, but I'm up for any ideas. I hate the dark and we lose power here quite frequently.
  • ILFE
    This is 100% correct and accurate.

Thanks. It took me long enough to get there. I was a typical newbie. I read all the advice you (seasoned) guys posted - and then went and did it my way, not realizing how much my way was going to cost me in the end. Won't do that again. :D
    Paul
  • westbranch

you can run track lighting right from 12v, all you have to do is remove the transformer from the mount that attaches to the track and then sue LED lights. Try to find used as the mounts are ~ $30 each. Try the ReNew stores, Sally Ann, etc

Ikea sell a lot of light fixtures that are 12 v just don't use the wall wart...

• Epiales
    westbranch wrote: »
    you can run track lighting right from 12v, all you have to do is remove the transformer from the mount that attaches to the track and then sue LED lights. Try to find used as the mounts are ~ $30 each. Try the ReNew stores, Sally Ann, etc

Ikea sell a lot of light fixtures that are 12 v just don't use the wall wart...

I have no idea what you mean about a track and mounts... Sounds interesting though, and since it is all I want to use this setup for, I'm listening :) lol
  • ILFE
    Yes, I want to be able to power up to 3 of the lights that are 3 watt each, but the http://store.nokero.com/Hurion-Solar-Light-Bulb-and-Charger-p/n222.htm is making me think a bit more about what I might need. I see that it can be charged with an AC adapter into the USB port. So not only have I confused everyone here, I'm a bit more confused myself :blush::blush::blush:

I just need a basic system to run some lighting using the 100W solar panel and the 12V 30Amp or even 12V 12Amp battery.

I started with a basic light from goalzero that is 12V and uses 3W's, but I'm up for any ideas. I hate the dark and we lose power here quite frequently.

Where are you located, Epiales? I'm in Cambodia. So, I can relate to you.

Okay, to help stop the confusion here, the lights on the last website are solar lights. They will charge after 8 to 11 hours of sun during the day (look at the hours they need to charge) and only run about 5 or 6 hours (going by one or two I looked at on the site) each night - IF fully charged.

Also keep in mind here, how many hours of GOOD sun you have. Here in Cambodia, I am at 13 degrees North Latitude. I have 6 hours of good sun almost every day. The sun hours build up and drop off slowly here. So, even before 9am and after 3pm, I still get a decent amount of sun for a while.

YOU, however, mentioned you needed about 8 to 10 hours of lighting. Personally, I would suggest going with your original plan of 12vdc lights running through a controller (see my circuit schematic again) that would run the lights for you each night, and turn them off after the number of hours you wish them to run.

That controller does pretty well. I am happy with its performance. I run 2 - 10 watts, 12vdc LED flood lamps on my system. Here is a photo of one of them:

Attachment not found.

They light up the outside area at the farm pretty well.
    Paul
  • Epiales
    Where are you located, Epiales? I'm in Cambodia. So, I can relate to you.

Okay, to help stop the confusion here, the lights on the last website are solar lights. They will charge after 8 to 11 hours of sun during the day (look at the hours they need to charge) and only run about 5 or 6 hours (going by one or two I looked at on the site) each night - IF fully charged.

Also keep in mind here, how many hours of GOOD sun you have. Here in Cambodia, I am at 13 degrees North Latitude. I have 6 hours of good sun almost every day. The sun hours build up and drop off slowly here. So, even before 9am and after 3pm, I still get a decent amount of sun for a while.

YOU, however, mentioned you needed about 8 to 10 hours of lighting. Personally, I would suggest going with your original plan of 12vdc lights running through a controller (see my circuit schematic again) that would run the lights for you each night, and turn them off after the number of hours you wish them to run.

That controller does pretty well. I am happy with its performance. I run 2 - 10 watts, 12vdc LED flood lamps on my system. Here is a photo of one of them:

They light up the outside area at the farm pretty well.

I live in the States! But I've been doing much searching the last few days and every 12V setup I've seen doesn't have the 10amp fuses that you show on u're circuit schematic. Is there a reason for them and if the other systems I've seen doesn't use them, then why not?
  • Cariboocoot
    I live in the States! But I've been doing much searching the last few days and every 12V setup I've seen doesn't have the 10amp fuses that you show on u're circuit schematic. Is there a reason for them and if the other systems I've seen doesn't use them, then why not?

They should have them. Fuses or breakers are not needed to make something operate; they are there to reduce the size of the disaster when something goes wrong.

How often and for how long do you suffer outages? Perhaps you should be looking to a system that can provide more than just lighting? As in keeping the refrigerator cool.
  • Epiales
    They should have them. Fuses or breakers are not needed to make something operate; they are there to reduce the size of the disaster when something goes wrong.

How often and for how long do you suffer outages? Perhaps you should be looking to a system that can provide more than just lighting? As in keeping the refrigerator cool.

Usually a couple times in a month or two months period. Sometimes it's out for an hour or two, sometimes it's out for 8 hours. We have the worst electric in the world I believe. The wind can blow a tad hard and POOF, we're out of electric. Or no storms, no clouds, no anything, and POOF, we have no electric for 8 hours. So having this happen a few times in a month or two is enough for me to try and do something. I figured it I learned how to do a smaller setup with just some lightening, then I would have a better understanding about solar, and be able to start a bigger project. I know it's not that cheap to setup a system just to run a few 3W lights, but when it's done, it will be worth it in my opinion. Only thing I'll have to worry about after while would be the battery, but using a Lion battery will make a huge difference. With Winter coming up, we will lose our electricity a bit more if we have any ice storms or anything. We always do! Gets on our lines and POOF, no electric lol...

And again, I"m thinking of purchasing this kit:

Could I find each individual part and make it cheaper, or is this a good price? Looks like all I need is the battery and then some adapters to run some lighting.

Blessings,

EPIALES

*EDITED* On that kit, will I need to buy the fuses to set it up as u'res? Or does it already have all that internally? Thanks :) Also, I like the charge controller someone posted the link too, as you can adjust the time of the lights. So I may try and look around to buy parts individually then.
  • westbranch

this is a track mounted 'track light'. note the track at the top which holds the tracklight anchor.
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/1-light-mr16-120-volt-track-head-square-finished-in-brushed-nickel/992759

• ILFE

Click here for circuit protection devices (fuses, breakers and such). I use Midnite Solar DIN Rail breakers for all my circuit protection now. NAWS sells them for $11.00 USD each. They are quality pieces of hardware.

Usually a couple times in a month or two months period. Sometimes it's out for an hour or two, sometimes it's out for 8 hours. We have the worst electric in the world I believe. The wind can blow a tad hard and POOF, we're out of electric. Or no storms, no clouds, no anything, and POOF, we have no electric for 8 hours. So having this happen a few times in a month or two is enough for me to try and do something. I figured it I learned how to do a smaller setup with just some lightening, then I would have a better understanding about solar, and be able to start a bigger project. I know it's not that cheap to setup a system just to run a few 3W lights, but when it's done, it will be worth it in my opinion. Only thing I'll have to worry about after while would be the battery, but using a Lion battery will make a huge difference. With Winter coming up, we will lose our electricity a bit more if we have any ice storms or anything. We always do! Gets on our lines and POOF, no electric lol...

If the longest you go is 8 hours without power, I wouldn't worry too much about the refrigerator, especially if it is a newer unit. It should hold the temperature, especially if full, for that length of time.

Honestly, others here may agree, I wouldn't go with solar if you are only going without power a couple of times per month. You should probably be looking at a small generator instead. Although I have never owned one (I haven't taken the time to look for one in my local voltage, 220vac / 50hz), here are some units that are pretty popular. Click here to view Honda Generators.

I feel you would get more "bang for your buck" if you were to do that. A generator would also run your refrigerator, if you found you were to be without power for a longer period of time. Not to mention, by the time you ever built a solar power system that would provide you with 2,000 or 3,000 continuous watts of power, you would have a lot more money in it than you would a generator. Those little hondas are pretty quiet, to boot. Listen to them when Kenny demonstrates his:
    Paul