suresine running unmodified refridgerator(inverter)

animatt
animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
Reporting sucessfully running inverter refridgerator from a suresine inverter.

Was a temp setup with 10 ft leads of 8awg on dc input. And roughly 35ft extension cord maybe 16awg. But could have been 14awg.
Dc leads just wedged into dc terminal on small truck battery.

This is more a report about the refridgerator, as we all know the suresine is a nice unit.

The refridgerator is a samsung inverter type.
Model rt32farldww is only 11.5cubic ft. So not huge. On simple kilowatt meter reads 1w when first connected with pf of something like .3. Then after a short time compressor kicks in and consumption slowly climbs. I have seen it max out at roughly 140w at 140w pf around .7 and while wattage is lower pf is closer to .6.

Defrost max is supposed to be around 140w. Fridge cost about $515 in local currency.

This refridgerator type (inverter) are becoming easy to find here in mexico. A family memeber has large samsung inverter. Other day at costco in cancun saw an lg inverter refridge at around 22cf french door design. Cost around 16000 pesos. Which is aroun 1230 usd. Not sure what power consumptiin of larger refridges would be or different companies like lg vs samsung but assume should not be an issue.

On power consumption not super efficient for my baseline model.i am sure there are better out there, this past week left my small samsung plugged in and was averaging .99kwh daily no door opening. But refridge was fairly empty and in an apartment that average between about 75f to 84f all week.
That is about it for now. Any questions. This refridgerator is located at a property usually visit every week or 2.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: suresine running unmodified refridgerator(inverter)
    animatt wrote: »
    ... Will post more info on refridgerator later.

it's now later. I'm waiting. :D
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Me too.... waiting....

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • animatt

I tried yesterday and had a long post written but simething happened. Anyway will try to update in a few hours.
  • westbranch

use WORD or ? for long stuff and copy/paste when finished... actually short stuff too if it takes a while to compose...

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Regrettably the forum software has a tendency to time out sometimes before one has finished writing a response. Some of it will be automatically saved and can be recovered by "re-replying" and clicking the "restored auto-saved content" button which appears lower left of the composition screen.

But it's not infallible so composing in a WP program and then doing the copy/paste is the most certain way of not losing content.
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭

A SureSine will start, and run a refrigerator?
    Paul
  • Steve961
    Steve961 Solar Expert Posts: 93 ✭✭✭✭
    ILFE wrote: »
    A SureSine will start, and run a refrigerator?

waynefromnscanada has modified several refrigerators to run on the SureSine, but I don't think that's what the OP is talking about. The OP mentions an "inverter refrigerator" which is a new type of refrigerator using an inverter compressor. Here's a good read on the technology:

http://refrigerators.reviewed.com/features/digital-inverter-compressors-can-t-we-all-just-chill-out

I've been looking forward to these as I have a SureSine as my sole inverter. I just hope they make some that are smaller sized for my cabin.
  • animatt

Updated first post from my cell phone. Let me know if yoy need anything else.
  • westbranch

.99Kw per day is ~ 361Kwh / yr, there are FULL SIZE fridges up here at 340+- this year at Sears (Westinghouse) but not sure if they are INVERTER type, I will have to investigate... like the price but not the size ...that is a bit smaller than our propane unit, but... I will not bring it inside a 'plastic sealed house'... ie new CODE standard... as no outside air replacement available on off-grid power budget.

• animatt

This is current power usage in non conditioned house summer time. Label on refridge said 270kwh yearly. Inside temps in house are probably average 80f. Samsung has a whole line of inverter refridgerators, as appears panasonic and lg as well. The behavior of the small samsung starting at very low power usage then stepping up i have no.trouble believing the larger samsung could be run on a suresine. I would venture to guess the programming of the lg and panasonic are probably similiar but i do not know.

My point about price is being inverter refridge does not really require tons of extra cash, but also that my refridge is a basic one. Not sure about insulation level.

The coils on mine are buried in the sides of the refridgerator. I much prefer one that had hx on the back. I doubt one exists though as having hx on the sides and top make easier to handle and more robust. But the main point here is inverter refridgerators can work on a sure sine. With the right refridgerator power usage could be more ideal.
  • westbranch

Based on your avg 80F temp the total consumption is probably not too bad. I believe they are rated at 70 - 72F as average temp....
    I did a bunch of surfing a while ago and could only find top end models with inverter in the name, and I do mean top end, french doors etc. In Canada they were $2500 and up to over $4000Cdn.
    That surge on startup is the killer, usually needing a 1500W - 2000W inverter, :cry:

• animatt

Yeah i think in canada or usa there maybe slim pickins. Reserved a novelty / premier item. Here in mexico easily found in various sizes.

The trick for most will be what is locally available which i believe are current is slim. But like inverter air conditioners i believe will catch on.
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    animatt wrote: »
    Yeah i think in canada or usa there maybe slim pickins. Reserved a novelty / premier item. Here in mexico easily found in various sizes.

The trick for most will be what is locally available which i believe are current is slim. But like inverter air conditioners i believe will catch on.

Animatt,
    Please keep that Kill-o-watt meter on your fridge and let us know how your experience goes with running it on the Suresine Inverter.

A max of 140 watts is impressive. The fact that these fridges are becoming more available throughout the world is a good thing for off-gridders.

They have game-changing potential for those who (to date) had to buy a hulking power-hungry inverter just to accommodate the 'fridge'. SP.
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.