New SW and XW communication "Conext ComBox

Comments

• SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Re: New SW and XW communication "Conext ComBox

Figured you had. I did have a similar occurrence within the first 2 wks that I had mine in service. Thankfully no hiccups on ot since the firmware update. Did take two attempts to get that fully implemented. First try at update got the error status light even though IWW was recording and doing everything else OK at least for my system. Second time from USB drive just cycled all power and let it run, didn't clear memory, worked as advertised after that and cleared the error indication.

Glad you have it functioning again!
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • fowlerrudi
    fowlerrudi Solar Expert Posts: 37 ✭✭

Is anyone else seeing this on their combox? We have a few of them in service and are seeing the load wattage is more than what is shown being taken out of the battery. Perpetual motion? Attachment not found.
  • SkiDoo55

I am sure one of the electrical engineers will give you a answer, but what little I know would guess it's because of the power factor of the load and the way the system handles it for the display.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »
    would guess it's because of the power factor of the load and the way the system handles it for the display.

That's my guess also. The battery watts is calculated from DC voltage and DC amps, and is real watts. The loads are probably displayed as VA, even though the label on the display is watts.

fowlerrudi, can you try a resistive load and see what happens? Or use a kill-a-watt meter on your load to see what the watts and VA are. The watts of your load should be LESS than the watts from the battery, the difference being the consumption of the inverter.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • fowlerrudi
    fowlerrudi Solar Expert Posts: 37 ✭✭

I will try and get my TED 5000 back online for this. I also found this thread: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?21560-Xw6048-installed-Load-meter-error&highlight=combox
  • frank.thomson
    frank.thomson Registered Users Posts: 15

Yeah, have seen similar behavior on the SCP as well. It was the Inverter in my case, if you see same numbers on system control panel than you need to find why the XW is measuring it inaccurately, may be some calibration errors. No point calling tech-support, as they will tell you some mumbo jumbo as if you are a newbie who wired it incorrectly and should not have noticed it to begin with.

Just a couple days back I saw a youtube video (50-min screen capture) posted by an installer in Asia of a ComBox on a grid-tie system doing grid-support, i.e. using as much solar possible after batteries above a level to offset consumption from grid and you can tell, there is some type of small number leakage watts?? flowing out of battery at all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGpepU7JaWE

Its a pretty cool device overall.

-Frank

fowlerrudi wrote: »
    Is anyone else seeing this on their combox? We have a few of them in service and are seeing the load wattage is more than what is shown being taken out of the battery. Perpetual motion? Attachment not found.
  • mnittler
    mnittler Solar Expert Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

This might be a dumb question at this point but does the Conext ComBox work with Schneider Xantrex XW6048, XWMPPT60-150, Xantrex AGS, and Xantrex control panel?
    I am looking for a device that will work with Apple products (MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone) to view data/history and settings from my Xantrex equipment.
    I assume you just plug it into the Xanbus port on one of the devices and an ethernet line connected to a router/switch and view with any browser like Safari after it is setup
    Did the name change from Xantrex to Conext? I guess I am a bit behind the times here. I have a grid tied systems and the XW6048 is connected to a critical loads panel. The only time I would be off grid would be when the utility is off which does happen more often than I would like.
    19.76kw Solar/GT Enphase IQ7+ MicroInverters
     5.40kw Solar/GT ABB/Aurora 300 MicroInverters (AC coupled to Schneider/Xantrex XW6048 output)
     6.00kw Solar/Hybrid Xantrex XW6048 Inverter w/2 strings Trojan L-16E-AC Batteries (48VDC)
    18kw Kohler Propane Generator

• SkiDoo55

Works on my IPad using Chrome and if I remember Safari. Yes just plug into ZanBus and then connect to your network. May have to look up the IP address from the route to find using from browser. May want to assign the IP of the ComBox so the address stays the same if router resets.
    Schneider bought Zantrex and is using Conext for most item but the XW is still being used.
    i have a Zantrex and Conext GT inverter and both work on the ComBox. Would just about imagine that any device with the ZanBus would be seen from the ComBox. My Zantrex inverter wasn't listed. But is reporting the same as the newer Conext TX3800 inverter.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

the combox works with my XW6048 & SCP. It has a web browser interface that checks for a recent version of browser. The Android app will NOT work with a phone, they check to make sure you have at least a 5" display, I bought a 7" tablet to use with mine.

It's missing a couple menu features that exist on the SCP, GEN Support Plus is one of them. The monitor functions are great, it creates a CSV log file, I log every minute, and have 10+ years storage on the uSD card
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• SkiDoo55

New firmware release for the ComBox ver 2, has Gen support plus selection plus other new features for battery monitor. Enhanced grid support with XW MPPT connected works great just had to set g/s voltage 4 volts higher than bulk/absorb settings. That was in the manual read it but it didn't sink into the gray matter for recall when needed!
    Update it does have an enable/disable for GSEnhanced. Still exploring the settings available!
  • SkiDoo55

I don't think they are dropping support for XW as stated that would be insane. The ComBox works and display and controls even my Zantrex GT 3.8 Grid inverter. If it's on the ZanBus it will pretty much show up. Maybe something that is really old may not but that possible could be fixed with firmware if applicable for the device.
    The new firmware update for the ComBox added some missing features and added new graphing and display features also. The list of actual changes to it is actually large. Still exploring the different views and settings. It will only bring up information for only what is connected to the bus.

you can get it on your phone but have to use Chrome etc. I can access from my Samsung S4.
    haven't rechecked my Dyn/DNS access since new cable modem was reconfigured last night, it was blocking my router from working correctly. Hopefully the new firmware has fixed remote access from causing un-commanded resets on the box.

can try link to my ComBox think it is back working? Combox.dnsalias.org:8080 "user" p/w is "Solar14"
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »
    I don't think they are dropping support for XW as stated that would be insane. The ComBox works and display and controls even my Zantrex GT 3.8 Grid inverter. If it's on the ZanBus it will pretty much show up. Maybe something that is really old may not but that possible could be fixed with firmware if applicable for the device.
    The new firmware update for the ComBox added some missing features and added new graphing and display features also. The list of actual changes to it is actually large. Still exploring the different views and settings. It will only bring up information for only what is connected to the bus.

you can get it on your phone but have to use Chrome etc. I can access from my Samsung S4.
    haven't rechecked my Dyn/DNS access since new cable modem was reconfigured last night, it was blocking my router from working correctly. Hopefully the new firmware has fixed remote access from causing un-commanded resets on the box.

can try link to my ComBox think it is back working? XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Works fine it looks like, you should edit your post unless you want ti open to the world.
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

It works fine SkiDoo55!, and I am accessing it from Jamaica.

I must say it seems your combox is working fine, my combox does not graph any performance data. I think I am going back to the old firmware.
  • SkiDoo55
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Works fine it looks like, you should edit your post unless you want ti open to the world.
    It's access to the user account, should not beable to adjust anything. Only issue I see is the grid numbers are not showing my 2 grid tie inverter production, only showing output from the XW 4024? Sent in a tech support request with screen captures already.

i log in on phone and see if I can make any setting changes under user account? If I can I will come back and take the link out of public eyes.

Thanks
  • DMJ72

I checked your combox, the user account is read-only.
  • SkiDoo55

Thanks for confirming, still have big issue it not including production of my 2 grid tied inverters in the main system screen page? If you go to the grid icon it shows correctly. Another firmware update.
    one of the features on the gen support plus for small generators I found out was in previous firmware but wasn't accessible, along with a couple of others. Those got fixed.

tech support has been responsive for problems. He was going to ship me an SCP for free for that issue because they didn't know when it was going to be resolved. Next day New Firmware released. Do say they need better inter-department communication.

Have a Great Day!
  • Les Nagy
    Les Nagy Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭

Received mine yesterday and installed it. This is what should have been released instead of that shameful piece of overpriced junk, the gateway.

I updated to the latest firmware no problem and like all the things they included. But as usual someone keeps forgetting that AUX relays need to be useful. On all XW inverters and chargers the AUX relay does not have the switch state based on which stage the charging process is in. I have complained and begged for them to add this function to the AUX relays so they can be used to turn on diversion loads when the batteries reach float, for example. So what do we get with the new Combox? We get a relay you can turn on or off by web interface, or it automatically turns on when there is an error. What are they thinking? Hardly useful at all.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Les Nagy wrote: »
    Received mine yesterday and installed it. This is what should have been released instead of that shameful piece of overpriced junk, the gateway.

I updated to the latest firmware no problem and like all the things they included. But as usual someone keeps forgetting that AUX relays need to be useful. On all XW inverters and chargers the AUX relay does not have the switch state based on which stage the charging process is in. I have complained and begged for them to add this function to the AUX relays so they can be used to turn on diversion loads when the batteries reach float, for example. So what do we get with the new Combox? We get a relay you can turn on or off by web interface, or it automatically turns on when there is an error. What are they thinking? Hardly useful at all.
    All you have to do is query the charge state using the web interface and then switch the AUX relay using the same interface.
    A relatively simple program with HTTP/HTML I/O capability could do that. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Les Nagy

Yes that would work, except when I am installing a system as a stand alone system for a customer. The inverters and charge controllers should be able to trigger their own aux relays without outside intervention. The charge state flags are in the Xanbus messages so it isn't something very difficult for them to implement. I think it is just stubbornness on their part as they didn't think of it.
  • inetdog
    Yes that would work, except when I am installing a system as a stand alone system for a customer. The inverters and charge controllers should be able to trigger their own aux relays without outside intervention. The charge state flags are in the Xanbus messages so it isn't something very difficult for them to implement. I think it is just stubbornness on their part as they didn't think of it.
    Yes, the ever popular NIH syndrome. :-)

How about making your own "standalone" system with a small microprocessor system (e.g. arduino) instead of dedicating a computer to the task?
    Not nearly as cost effective as having them do it, but possibly much more attainable.
  • Les Nagy

Well I am beginning to get frustrated with this thing now. It crashes when trying to make changes. It will not respond with web pages sometimes. I tried doing a full reset and firmware upgrade but old data still remains and corrupted with wrong date stamps. Thank you Schneider/Xantrex for another buggy piece of junk.
  • Les Nagy

OK, got it a bit more stable after 5 resets and firmware reloading. The corrupt data is still there.

Another annoyance at this point. I cannot connect to it through a router with port forwarding. I can only connect to it on the same subnet....
  • DMJ72
    OK, got it a bit more stable after 5 resets and firmware reloading. The corrupt data is still there.

Another annoyance at this point. I cannot connect to it through a router with port forwarding. I can only connect to it on the same subnet....

if the corrupt data is still there, i found i had to do the pinhole rest procedure after the firmware update to get rid of it. Works perfectly now.
  • inetdog
    That may be the result of cutting corners on the IP protocol handling, or it may be the result of incorrect DHCP information supplied by the router or other device to it when it joined the network.
    If you are not supplying DHCP data at all it may default to a hard wired default IP address and subnet definition, which would leave you confined only to that subnet.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I can connect to mine remotely but it is slow. So if the internet on site is semi slow on the upload then this will be an issue. The webserver is pretty bandwith hungry for some reason. Hopefully Schneider will resolve this.
  • DMJ72
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    I can connect to mine remotely but it is slow. So if the internet on site is semi slow on the upload then this will be an issue. The webserver is pretty bandwith hungry for some reason. Hopefully Schneider will resolve this.

Indeed. The HTML payload seems heavy. Hopefully Conext Insight will make the need for remote access to the Combox less of an issue... whenever that get released.
  • SkiDoo55

I urge anyone that is experiencing a problem to at least sent Tech Support some information. Make them aware of a problem otherwise they will think that there are no Issues. My issue of not reporting GT/TX production mixed with XW production has been escalated up the chain. Firmaware 2.0 fixed some issues and broke other working areas vs; last firmware build. Connection for me since last update for the external access has been better, at least haven't had it cause a uncommanded reboot of ComBox.
  • DMJ72
    halfcrazy wrote: »

The new 2.01 update makes this much faster .. no longer as bandwidth hungry. I can access my site from work now.
  • Les Nagy

Has anyone figured out how to import the csv log files into LibreOffice Calc? I am having a brain fart over this right now.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone figured out how to import the csv log files into LibreOffice Calc? I am having a brain fart over this right now.

They go into excel just fine, try open Calc and use it to open the file.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,