I don't want to hear that generator anymore!!

2»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: I don't want to hear that generator anymore!!

I would also suggest a Battery Monitor (Victron is another good brand).

They are not perfect, but they really help with day to day battery management. Especially if you will have spouse/kids/guests that will be there too.

It is much easier to tell them if State of Charge is:
    • >75% SOC -- Everything is fine
    • 50% to 75% SOC -- Watch energy usage, start genset next morning if poor weather/heavy power usage planned (turn off at >80-90% SOC)
    • <50% SOC -- Start genset now (turn off at >80%-90% SOC).
    • Approaching 20% SOC -- Turn off loads and call you. Battery damage ahead.
    • Try to get battery bank >90% SOC a couple days a week for long battery life.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Me neither!
    Probably the worst engines ever made. :D

Actually, that one wasn't too bad - it was a snowblower engine so it had a primer on it and it would start in any weather. The engine was well used when I robbed it off the old snowblower, and I probably put 2,000 hours on it charging batteries. The only things I ever put in it was a new carb float and needle, a new ignition coil and points and condenser. The Delco 10SI, on the other hand, burned out three stators over the years if I remember right, from having the regulator grounded and running it full fielded all the time. If I just idled it at 20-25 amps output it was OK. But I speeded the engine up and made it put out 35-40 amps the stator would burn out.

Louis R - I second Coach Dad's suggestion to get a PAE inverter instead. The Magnum inverters can put out 75% rated output capacity on each leg of the split phase output for running 120 volt loads, without dropping efficiency. And the split phase output is much nicer for running a well pump than using an autotransformer to generate the other "leg" for a standard 120V inverter. The Magnum MS-PAE inverters are very nice units.

I also second Endurance's suggestion to get a FlexMax 80 or Classic 150 controller. The MPPT60 is OK, but it is not in the same class as the other two. I've had both, and the only way they'll take away my Classic 150's is to pry my cold dead fingers from around them ;)
    --
    Chris
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Yea, the last one I had was on a snowblower,, it would only run with temps above 70f! Sort of useless as a snow blower!

Icarus
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    Yea, the last one I had was on a snowblower,, it would only run with temps above 70f! Sort of useless as a snow blower!

Icarus

Same here. Except I couldn't get it to start above 70F either half the time. Replaced it with an ordinary B&S 5HP which would start at 20F. Below that if I warmed the cylinder head with the propane torch first.

Never known anyone who had good luck with Tecumseh engines before.
  • ChrisOlson
    Never known anyone who had good luck with Tecumseh engines before.

Well, I had good luck with that one. It was a pretty old one and it had a carb that could be adjusted. It even had a ring gear on the flywheel, and it originally had electric start - but somebody had robbed the starter off it before I re-incarnated it as a standby generator engine. That thing used to sit outside under the blue plastic tub that you see in the photo next to it. The tub kept the snow and rain off it.

At 20-30 below zero I'd give it about 6 pumps on the primer, then pull the rope thru slow about a dozen times to limber it up and prime the cylinder. Then give it about 6 more pumps and pull on it harder. After about 20 pulls it would start to fire once every time I pulled it. And if I kept at it, it would start and run at 20-30 below - with no preheat.

It was one of the better generators I've ever had 8)
    --
    Chris
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

And you got a cardio workout to boot!

Ralph
  • icarus

How far we have come! The great thing about the eu is that I can leave it in the house, so it is always warm when I need it.

Tony
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    How far we have come! The great thing about the eu is that I can leave it in the house, so it is always warm when I need it.

Doesn't that stink up your house? I took my eu for a short trip in my wife's station wagon and was nauseated by the smell of gasoline. Maybe I've grown more sensitive to the smell of gasoline... when I was younger (and unmarried) I used to bring the chainsaw in the house to keep it warm.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Coach Dad
    Coach Dad Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭

Louis R- I feel like you are doing things the same way that I did when I was planning things out.. So here are a couple more things to consider that I didn’t think of and didn’t read anyplace. (The devil is in the detail.)

I was originally going to place the panels on the roof and have all of the components in the cabin. After evaluating everything I determined that I would have to cut down too many trees to get enough sun to shine.. So I decided to put the panels on poles in a field that is in front of the cabin. That decision made it logical for me to put all of the components (inverter, charge controller, batteries etc..) into my shed and then run the finished power from the shed to the cabin.

I can't tell you enough how happy I am that all of the components are in the shed instead of the cabin. This is why:
    The inverter makes a humming noise (they ALL do as far as I know) when running and a ticking noise when in search mode and the Batteries put out gas when charging (they all do, even AGM batteries). Since they are in the shed, these issues became non-issues.

The nice thing about the Magnum inverter was that they offer a ME-ARC (Remote Display). I ran the remote (ME-ARC) from the Shed into the Cabin. The remote in the cabin gives me the ability to control the system from the cabin. I can program the inverter and charger, I can read the battery status (if you have their Battery Monitor Kit), I can read the battery temperature and I can start or stop the built in charger. Iit even gives you the ability to start the generator if you have the Gen Start Kit (I don’t have the Gen Start kit ). I find myself constantly checking my battery status (in the cabin)..

Regarding the Morningstar Charge Controller: I have to say I'm "underwhelmed" with the user interface and instructions of my Tristar MPPT60 ... I ended up installing their free MS-View software and struggling through the programing. (I got some help on this forum)..The MPPT Charge Controller works great once you figure out the settings... and the nice thing is that they ALSO offer a remote display. Which I ran into the cabin from the shed. So I can always see how much electricity the system is making,,, without going outside.

So the summarize… Consider installing your stuff into your shed (if you have one).. or into your basement if you have one. If you install it in the shed, consider getting the remotes… You don’t want this stuff in the cabin if you can help it.
  • icarus

Not at all. I close the gas cap vent, and drop it in a Rubbermaid tote und my bench. Really not a problem,

Tony
  • BB.

They are putting more additives in gasoline these days too... Detergents, anti-pollution (alcohol, etc.), etc... so it is possible that there is something in the fuel these days that bothers you more.

MTBE--I am not sure if it is still in gasoline these days or not, but it has been a real problem for some people when they were adding a lot of it to fuel as an oxygenate (and worse than plain gasoline when leaked into ground water).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot

The biggest problem with gasoline smell: you send the Mrs. in to get more with four jerry cans strapped down in the back of the 4Runner. She gets them filled and some 'helpful' moron tells her she must have the vents on the cans open. She believes the idiot. Travels all the way back down the logging road sloshing gas all over the interior.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Leave hatch open for days. :grr
  • icarus

Do that with diesel and you will never get the smell out. Rinds me of the time I sent my wife to get diesel when we were in town. First thing she did was try to fill the can through the part of the can that stored the spout,, had no connection to the can, but would hold about a cup of fuel. The next was choosing the large diameter high speed pump, that pumps z~10 gmp! The next thing she knew, she was covered with fuel oil, Took it weeks to get it out of her hair.

Tony
  • ramloui
    ramloui Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭

Thanks for the insight CoachDad!
    Actually, finding a suitable location for the panels is going to be a challenge for me.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.

The cabin is facing south and is surrounded by trees on 3 sides. Attaching the panels to either of the roof slopes is not going to do. I guess I could install them facing south with a proper rig but the resulting look would leave a lot to be desired. As a matter of fact, I think it would be downright ugly.

I was considering a few options:
    - I have an old triangular TV tower at home (about 40 ft). I was thinking of installing it midway on the right side of the cabin (as seen in the picture). I probably don't need 40 ft, maybe more like 20ft. Against the cabin is preferable as I do not have any space to put it up in the middle of a clearing and running guy wires.
    - The second option may be more practical, but I don't know if I would be allowed to do it (the land is rented). The panels may be installed at ground level close to the lake, where it is unobstructed by trees. The problems with this is that the wires from the PVs would have to run a long way to my shed, and be buried under the dirt road that's between the lake and the cabin.

Nothing is easy...

I appreciate the info about the humming noise. I had planned to put this all in a small utility room in the cabin. I guess now I should plan for a dedicated smaller shed, probably right against the cabin. Need to keep those cable runs short, right?

Thanks to all!
    Off-grid cabin in northern Quebec: 6 x 250 W Conergy panels, FM80, 4 x 6V CR430 in series (24V nominal), Magnum MS4024-PAE
  • ChrisOlson

Louis,
    I would put the panels in the best location, even if it's further away, wire them for high voltage to keep the wire size down, and use the MPPT controller to do the conversion to bank voltage at the battery bank. I suppose, since the land is rented, that putting up a wind turbine is out of the question. But wind power is a viable option for off-grid installations if you can do it (I've never seen grid-tied wind power pay off). We only got 6.2 kWh out of 3.0 kW installed capacity solar the last two days here. But we got 66.6 kWh from wind two days ago, and 49.5 kWh yesterday. We'd burn a LOT of generator fuel here if all we had was solar power.
    --
    Chris
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

If you are still looking for a quiet generator get something with a 3 cylinder kubota diesel engine and a 4 pole generator (so the generator only has to spin at 1800rpm). To make it even quieter and save fuel adjust the engine RPM down so that the generator is only putting out 50hz.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• ramloui

Well, I have been reading this forum a lot and I finally took the plunge! I have just purchased 6 x 250W panels and an Outback FM80 charge controller. I had purchased 4 x 6V 430Ah Crown batteries earlier this spring which I kept charged with my generator. It was still driving me nuts...

For the short term, I need to keep the batteries wired for 12V since my water pumps and inverter need 12 volts. I understand that 1500W of panels is too much for the FM80 at 12V so my plan is to install the panels as 3 parrallel strings of 2 panels through the combiner box and only turn on 2 strings at a time. Next year, I plan on purchasing a 24V inverter (Magnum 4024PAE). At that point, I will reconfigure the battery bank from 12V to 24V and I will be able to switch on all 6 panels.

From all I have read here, I think the system will work since 1000W of panels is 6% charge rate (1000W / (860Ah x 14.3V x 1/0.77)). When I do go 24V, I should be in even better shape with 9.4% charge rate (1500W / (430Ah x 28.6 x 1/0.77)).

I have decided to install the panels on the shed roof. It is oriented due South and the pitch is 6/12. The shed will be in full sun from 8h00 AM to about 4h00 PM (trees in the way). This may not be ideal, but it is the best I can do for now and the cabin is only used between May and October. For the winter, I plan on tilting the panels of 1 string to vertical so that snow does not build up to keep the battery bank charged (while everything else is turned off / disconnected).

I am very excited to get all of this put together!!!

Here is an attempt at what the system will look like:
    Attachment not found.

Thanks for your input!! If it wasn't for this forum, I would be lost...

Louis R.
    Off-grid cabin in northern Quebec: 6 x 250 W Conergy panels, FM80, 4 x 6V CR430 in series (24V nominal), Magnum MS4024-PAE
  • Cariboocoot

I wouldn't worry too much about 1500 Watts of panel being "too much" for the FM80 on a 12 Volt system. It simply won't utilize it all as it can only pass 80 Amps of current. There'd be about 20% 'extra', and that simply means you could reach peak charging under lower light conditions. Ultimately what the batteries & loads draw determines the actual amount of current, not how much power potential is behind it. You've got 860 Amp hours @ 12 Volts; being able to hit 80 Amps current would be a good thing.
  • BB.

I am with Marc "Cariboocoot"--Just hook all of those panels up. As long as you meet the input voltage requirements (typically Vmp-array >~100 VDC STC), then the charge controller will safely and reliably limit its output current. You will, over all, still get more charging energy into your battery bank.

And, in general, electronics like to run cool and without too wide of temperature swings (thermal cycling is also a cause of "wear out")--So just make sure the charge controller (and your inverters, etc.) are well ventilated.

-Bill
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Way to go on the solar... and if you want to quite down the generator, a good old trick is to bury a 55g drum under ground and run the exhaust through it with a stack of course coming up. Ground absorbs virtually all the noise.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    solarix wrote: »
    Way to go on the solar... and if you want to quite down the generator, a good old trick is to bury a 55g drum under ground and run the exhaust through it with a stack of course coming up. Ground absorbs virtually all the noise.
    Although the valve noise, etc. from an inexpensive generator will end up being annoying even if you manage to mute the exhaust completely.
    An unlikely scenario, but worth considering is that if the barrel ends up leaking and the outlet gets even the least bit restricted, you could end up pumping carbon monoxide into the ground to seep back up again into buildings.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ramloui

If and when I run the generator, my plan is to run it when I'm away... fishing!!!!:cool:
    A wise man said: A bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office...

Cheers!
  • islandguy
    islandguy Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
    solarix wrote: »
    if you want to quite down the generator, a good old trick is to bury a 55g drum under ground and run the exhaust through it with a stack of course coming up. Ground absorbs virtually all the noise.

This was set up for a diesel I swapped out. Unfortunately the backpressure it added made the engine run rough. Of course it was old and possibly full of water, but I'd recommend against anything that could increase back pressure on the exhaust.
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    ramloui wrote: »
    I love to read this and the good arguments in either direction!!!

Here is where I think I'm going to take my system:
    - Since life has been good to me, I want to indulge a bit in overdesigning this system,
    - The battery bank will be 2 strings of 4 6V batteries for 24V,
    - Morningstar TriStar 60 MPPT
    - Magnum inverter/charge MS2024 with MPP panel. I want PSW to be able to plug in my drill battery charge...
    - Lights will be 120V. Mights as well with the above inverter, plus 120V supplies are more easily procured
    - Enough PV panel watts to recharge the batteries at the proper rate. Can someone help come up with this number?

I'd push for 48V battery bank. Less losses. Don't be afraid to overdo it on the PV capacity. Battery bank can be undersized with care with a generator and a willingness to move loads to daytime sunny hours. PV is cheap and getting cheaper and lasts a long time (as long as you don't have some of the made-in-china where they have been cutting corners in ingredient quality); batteries are expensive and getting more expensive and is one of the shortest lived components in the system.

I think a cookie cutter off-grid or bi-modal system would be 3 (Group 31 batts), 6 (Golf cart batts), or 12 (L16 batts) 225-260W 60-cell panels in strings of 3 on a 150V (60 or 80A) MPPT charge controller with an inverter that can handle at least the STC rating of the panels. 12 panels will fill a single charge controller and a single outback FX/GFX/VFX inverter nicely.

PV sizing guide. BB's posts expanded. If you have some other AH (Group 24, 27, or 8D, or industrial / forklift batteries), you can divide by the existing AH and multiply by the some other AH.

L16 6V batteries (single string) - Divide by 2 for 24V; Divide by 4 for 12V; Multiply by # of parallel strings:

400 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.05 rate of charge (20hrs) = 1,496 Watt Array Minimum
    400 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.0625 rate of charge (16hrs) = 1,870 Watt Array Low
    400 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.0833 rate of charge (12hrs) = 2,493 Watt Array Low-Nominal
    400 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge (10hrs) = 2,992 Watt Array Nominal
    400 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.125 rate of charge (8hrs) = 3,740 Watt Array "cost effective" Maximum
    400 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.166 rate of charge (6hrs) = 4,987 Watt Array Grid-tie aggressive
    400 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.25 rate of charge (4hrs) = 7,480 Watt Array not to exceed

Golf cart batteries GC2 T-105 6V (single string) - Divide by 2 for 24V; Divide by 4 for 12V; Multiply by # of paralell strings:

225 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.05 rate of charge (20hrs) = 841 Watt Array Minimum
    225 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.0625 rate of charge (16hrs) = 1,052 Watt Array Low
    225 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.0833 rate of charge (12hrs) = 1,402 Watt Array Low-Nominal
    225 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge (10hrs) = 1,683 Watt Array Nominal
    225 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.125 rate of charge (8hrs) = 2,103 Watt Array "cost effective" Maximum
    225 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.166 rate of charge (6hrs) = 2,805 Watt Array Grid-tie aggressive
    225 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.25 rate of charge (4hrs) = 4,208 Watt Array not to exceed

Group 31 boat batteries (single string) - Divide by 2 for 24V; Divide by 4 for 12V; Multiply by # of paralell strings:

130 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.05 rate of charge (20hrs) = 486 Watt Array Minimum
    130 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.0625 rate of charge (16hrs) = 608 Watt Array Low
    130 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.0833 rate of charge (12hrs) = 810 Watt Array Low-Nominal
    130 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge (10hrs) = 972 Watt Array Nominal
    130 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.125 rate of charge (8hrs) = 1,215 Watt Array "cost effective" Maximum
    130 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.166 rate of charge (6hrs) = 1,621 Watt Array Grid-tie aggressive
    130 AH * 57.6 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.25 rate of charge (4hrs) = 2,431 Watt Array not to exceed
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Panels & snow. If you will be gone in winter, leave the panels to keep the batteries charged, just top off the distilled and disable the EQ cycle.

SNOW - you don't care about snow over the panels, enough light should get through to keep the batteries topped off.

BUT you want to visualize the snow path as the roof sheds snow, that the panels will not block it, or get torn off the roof, or create an ice dam.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• ramloui

Here is an update on my system so far... Spoiler alert: I'm very happy!!!

Last fall, I took down 4 of the 6 panels from my shed roof. That was a workout!! I will not do this this year. The 2 panels that I left were tilted almost vertical. When I showed up at the cabin last spring, the batteries were full and in good health. Water level ok and SG right up there at 1.27-1.30 (my hydrometer is not very precise... anyway it was well in the green zone so I should be happy, right?). When I put the panels back up, I used some tamper-proof fasteners. I know they are not billed as theft-proof but it is the best I can do to discourage the "honest" thief.

After the system was all back together, I installed my newly acquired Magnum inverter and assembled everything on top of the MMP enclosure. What a sharp looking installation! I'm very pleased with the whole thing. Every wire between components is fused (breakers). The only thing that is left to do is to complete the grounding wire for the panels.

Currently my system is well oversized for my loads which are mostly lighting. But I got a real kick in using a shop-vac, a miter saw and even an iron for short periods. Remember that I am in the middle of nowhere!!! There is something very satisfying to have such quality/quantity of power available in a remote area.

So thanks to everyone on this forum!! Your advice, education and patience was very helpful!! I have not used the generator this year!!!:cool:
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭

Nice brookie. (and solar system :) )
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Not that I would buy one but how did that CT Eliminator Inverter work for you? Others might like to know....

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Chris
    Chris Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭

Nice looking set up
    westbranch wrote: »
    Not that I would buy one but how did that CT Eliminator Inverter work for you? Others might like to know....

I have one that I use to run my power tools.....for the price, I can't complain.
  • ramloui
    westbranch wrote: »
    It did pretty well for the current loads which are mostly lighting. I did run the shop-vac a couple of times, no issues. The only thing I can think of was running the miter saw. It would start and the motor would ramp up to speed in ½-1 second. Now it just goes full speed when I press the trigger. And, of course, the variable speed jigsaw just would not run.

The best part is that only paid 175$ on sale. I think I got exactly what I paid for so I can't complain. If anybody wants it I will sell it cheap.