Connecting MPPT 60 to computer

Options
RobertR
RobertR Registered Users Posts: 17
I am obviously missing something. I connect the controller to the computer via an Eithernet plug / cable and the soft ware I down loaded MSView says it does not find any devices .

I click Devices, Search for connected devices, and it finds nothing.

If I click Devices, Manual Connect, and select TriStar MPPT I get a panel that says relay driver, local serial or Remote TCP. Com1 Control address 9. I have tried both Serial and TCP . TCP gives an IP address, control address, control TCP port, MSView TCP port is blank.

I get no data from the controller either way.

In the window to the left it says TriStar MPPT and under that battery voltage and about 20 other things. But no data read outs.

I'm not sure how having all this data sent to the computer will help anything, but it seems a fun thing to do, so I thought I'd try it.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Connecting MPPT 60 to computer

Welcome Robert to the forum.
    I ran into what is probably the same problem. Here is what I found:
    "There have been reports that some USB to Serial adapters do not work with Morningstar products.
    This is most often because the adapter output voltage is below the RS-232 electrical specification.
    If the adapter does not output a high enough voltage, there is little the user can do to
    remedy the situation aside from purchasing a new adapter with the proper output voltage levels.
    The Tripp Lite U209-000-R adapter described in Subsection 2.2.8 has been verified to work
    with all Morningstar products.

NOTE: RS-232 line boosters are available which
    will amplify the signal voltage to the proper RS-232
    specifications. These can be found online or in most
    electronics stores"
  • Steven Lake
    Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
    Options

I'm with waynefromnscanada. Having worked in the tech world for a time, I know for a fact that electronic devices are very fickle about their voltages, and if the adapter is Chinese, it may not comply with some or any standards it's required to in order to operate properly. I don't know what it is, but the Chinese don't seem that fond of making sure their stuff is 100% compliant. In their world, "close enough" is all they care about. So as wayne said, get the Tripp Lite unit. As it's made for a UPS (which is itself a fickle device) it should work just fine on your system.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The ethernet connector, is only for the web interface. It consists of your device ser # and mode:
    http://tsmppt12360642/liveview.html brings up the current live status on your browser.

To connect with MS view, you need to use the RS232 interface, which unless you have a RS232 port (serial port) on your computer, you need a USB adapter.

And when you need to program, you must first DISCONNECT from the MSview control panel, and then use the same address to get into the programming.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Morningstar is modbus over TCP/IP control in addition to its web interface. I have "talked" with an MPPT 60 before
    using a simple PC modbus editor, however this was over the internet.

I'm thinking that talking to the controller from the PC is likely similar to talking with a MidNite Classic using the Ethernet connection from a PC.

If so, then you may have to set the PC to static IP mode as well as the MPPT 60. Pick a sub-domain that is the same for both units.
    For example, 192.168.2.x and 192.168.2.y for pc and MPPT 60 respectfully. (pick a number for x and y)

I don't know how to change the IP address or mode (DHCP/STATIC) of the MPPT 60 though right off.

I believe that newer PCs will automatically switch their Ethernet port wiring so you don't have to use a crossover cable.

I'm not 100% sure about all of this so take with some salt. Just trying to throw out some ideas.

boB
  • RobertR
    Options

Well, I think all this is over my head. I live in the country, no hard wired telephone. If I am understanding this right, your saying to plug the controller into a wireless router which will send the data to a web site, and then using a computer sign onto that web site and read what it says.

That sounds like going around the world in order to get next door.

I can see where one might want to do that if they wanted remote computer contact with the controller, such as being on vacation and wanting to know what is going on with your solar system back home, but my computer is sitting in the same room as the controller. Why can't they be connected with a cable?

My computer has Eithernet port and USB ports. I assumed that because the controller has an Eithernet port, just connect the two. Controller does not have a USB.

Is there a place to find specific directions on how to connect the two? I guess I can return my 30 foot Eithernet cable to Radio Shack?
  • boB
    Options

well, the MPPT 60 ~IS~ the web site so you plug the controller into your router and then point your browser to the controller.

If you're trying to access the controller from off-site, then you have to port-forward (usually port 502) to the controller so
    it can be accessed from the outside. That is probably the hardest part. The info should be in the manual.

So, the MPPT 60 doesn't call into a web site (like the MidNite Classic) but you should be able to get it the MS to work.

boB
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes u can do a direct connection from comp to controller with the ether net cable for Ms view to work. If u can get to it through your browser you are half way their. As in proper settings as in .....IP/subnet/etc.... If connected properly go to Ms view. Devices. Search for connected devices. If comp and controller is reading each other your controller will pop up.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    boB wrote: »
    ...So, the MPPT 60 doesn't call into a web site (like the MidNite Classic) but ...

short side trip here - Bob, will the Classic talk HTML to a local computer or wireless router, or does it need to contact a site on the internet, to send data to a local computer? I'm off grid, and don't have internet on site.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• boB
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    short side trip here - Bob, will the Classic talk HTML to a local computer or wireless router, or does it need to contact a site on the internet, to send data to a local computer? I'm off grid, and don't have internet on site.

The Classic doesn't have an HTML web server built in but there is a free app called the Local App or status panel that allows you to to most anything with the Classic on your computer with or without internet. You could plug it directly into the Classic's Ethernet jack or plug the Classic into you local wi-fi or local network.

The reason there is not a web server in there is because it takes quite a bit of processing power to do a good HTML based server and you'd have to update the CC rather than just updating the app on the PC or Mac.

boB
  • LandKurt
    LandKurt Solar Expert Posts: 41
    Options

Robert,

You say you assumed you could connect the MPPT 60 Ethernet port to your computer’s Ethernet port. Does that mean you directly connected the two with a single cable and no other equipment between them? That probably won’t work unless you understand Ethernet crossover cables and assigning static IP addresses. You might also need to set up a DHCP server on your PC.

The simpler method is to plug in both devices to separate ports on a gateway to form a little local network. The gateway/router provides the IP addresses automatically that let the two devices talk. For as little as $25 you could get a little wireless router with a four port Ethernet switch. It doesn’t have to be connected to the Internet, you could create a little stand alone network.

If you’ve already got a gateway/router make sure the MPPT 60 is plugged into that, not directly to the PC. Once both are on the same local network you should be able to discover the MPPT 60 from your PC using the MSView software.

Kurt
  • RobertR
    Options

Ok so I hook a router to the charge controller via Ethernet cable, hook to the router with wifi from the computer using MSView. I will try it.
  • Coach Dad
    Coach Dad Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Options

When connecting directly from PC to MPPT 60 Charge controller via Ethernet port you need to use cross-over cable.

Check your Local Area Connection settings , set IP Address to , 192.168.1.2 ,Subnet Mask to 255.255.255. 0, and Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1, save changes restart PC and controller.
  • Cliffman
    Cliffman Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options

I'm having a similar issue except MSview sees the device when I use the search option but when I click on it I get a "Modbus read request error". Please help...