Suntech?

Options
stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
Would this be a good solar panel to add to my system? I figured I would need another 500 + watts so 3 would put me there, a guy has them for new, never installed for less than $1 watt. It is a long way from here so want to know if it is a good fit before I pursue. I would probably add another Morningstar PS-30 to control them.

Suntech STP180S-24/Adb+ 180 watt.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Suntech?

Yes, those are true 24v charging panels, VMP around 35-36.

Please understand that Suntech along with some other Chinese Panel manufacturers, is not longer being supported by the government, and they recently fail to repay some bonds and is pretty much backrupt; Bloomberg Report

This is true of other companies as well Topoint panels being sold off now by many, for one.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Options

I should say they are generally good panels with a pretty good reputation, I'd buy them if the price is right and they are a good fit. I own some, though not installed yet.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

You can get new, current, 250+watt panels, with warranty for under $1/watt. NOS Suntech 180W panels are worth about $90 I say.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    solarix wrote: »
    You can get new, current, 250+watt panels, with warranty for under $1/watt. NOS Suntech 180W panels are worth about $90 I say.

These have a lot going for him, they are the right voltage for a cheap charge controller, and I would guess local, by his post. Doubt he can find 3 250+ watt panels delivered for under $1 a watt.
  • stmar
    stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options

Where? I live in a rural location so shipping is an issue but the panels that are for sale are about 300 miles so that is at least 40 X $4 a gallon @ 15 MPG.
    solarix wrote: »