May have to leave my system on "auto pilot".

ILFE
ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
Greetings:

First, I have finally got my new system up and running like I want / need.

Today, I received a communication regarding possibly having to fly to the states for three months, later this year. My g/f may or may not be able to check and fill the batteries water levels while I am away. I have not tried to show her yet. But, let's go with worst case scenario - that she can't sort it.

In that case, what should I do with my array, batteries, etc., while I am gone? (No loads will be attached while I am away.)

Is it okay just to leave it all connected without concerning myself with water levels?

Should I change any voltage levels or other settings on the charge controller like absorb times?

I am thinking that, since the system will not be used while I am away, I should change absorb to 13.8v?

Or, just disconnect everything and set the batteries in a corner for 3 months?
Paul

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: May have to leave my system on "auto pilot".

Keeping the bank at float voltage with loads disconnected is my vote.

If you still have light loads, you can dial back the absorb voltage a bit.

How much water do you normally use per month.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ILFE
    BB. wrote: »
    How much water do you normally use per month.

Usually, I have to add water about every two months.
    Paul
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go ahead and turn off your inverter, it's a minor load.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ILFE

I consider an inverter a load.
    Paul
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

So Lady Friend staying ? Using power ? or is it just when your there?
    float cells at 2.19 V / cell if all is off , Cut absorb down if all is off is my thinking & fill cells or over fill cells with pure water to make sure they remain wet.
    If they have discharged over the 3 months , then the water will fill the void ,till you recharge them back up to EQ state. If the level gets to high on recharging , suck some out to replenish later , keeping the acid . if they charge , boil off as normal ..

Inverter is a load , CC is a very light load & the kid can be put into Rick mode of squat used for fun.

Best as I would do.

VT
  • ILFE
    CDN_VT wrote: »
    So Lady Friend staying ? Using power ? or is it just when your there?

Yeah. My g/f is Cambodian. She will stay here during the time I am in the states. The system is solely for my network, computer and other hardware, when the mains fail. So, while I am gone, no power would be used from the batteries.

float cells at 2.19 V / cell if all is off , Cut absorb down if all is off is my thinking & fill cells or over fill cells with pure water to make sure they remain wet.
    If they have discharged over the 3 months , then the water will fill the void ,till you recharge them back up to EQ state. If the level gets to high on recharging , suck some out to replenish later , keeping the acid . if they charge , boil off as normal ..

Inverter is a load , CC is a very light load & the kid can be put into Rick mode of squat used for fun.

Best as I would do.

Thanks.

I will be in Oregon during my trip. It's been a very, very long time since I was on US soil. I can only imagine how much it has changed in a decade and a half.
    Paul
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭

Paul, FWIW, my system gets shut down in mid-late October and doesn't get turned on again until late April/Early May. I just make sure that the batts are fully charged and watered ahead of time, and then disconnect the inverter. I have no DC loads. The system goes to float pretty much right away.

Jerry
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

ditto situation in the winter, just leave them hooked up and enjoy the walk in the park...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • CDN_VT

It will be an EYE Opener Paul .
    Jerry is in Ontario (frozen north) so having water evap or loss is not the same as your temps in Cambodia.
    Thats the only reason i brought bringing up the water level . It would be best in my eyes to make sure rick mode is turned on. out of site & no flash so it looks dead.

VT
  • ILFE
    Rybren wrote: »
    Paul, FWIW, my system gets shut down in mid-late October and doesn't get turned on again until late April/Early May. I just make sure that the batts are fully charged and watered ahead of time, and then disconnect the inverter. I have no DC loads. The system goes to float pretty much right away.

Jerry

Do you adjust the absorb voltage on your controller before leaving the system?
    Paul
  • ILFE
    It will be an EYE Opener Paul .
    Jerry is in Ontario (frozen north) so having water evap or loss is not the same as your temps in Cambodia.
    Thats the only reason i brought bringing up the water level . It would be best in my eyes to make sure rick mode is turned on. out of site & no flash so it looks dead.

VT

VT, this is a house with proper security. Breaking in or anything like that isn't a concern at all, honestly.

How do I enable "rick mode" on a Kid?
    Paul
  • CDN_VT

No Paul , As in Oregon has in 15 years altered ..Like most places have . It will be an EYE Opener Paul .

Kid is menu/aux/led or Backlight / contrast /NRML normal / Rick / play / off .
    I picked rick because Lady friend see's a yellow / red , she may tell you.
    Thats all.
  • ILFE

Oh, you were talking about the LED display. Okay. I thought you were talking about a specific operation mode to put the Kid into.

Yeah, I think the first time they stop me and write me a ticket, they will probably want to know why I am driving on the sidewalk. :D

It will take a bit of time to adjust to the US again, I am sure. Either way, I am sure it will be an interesting experience for me.
    Paul
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭
    ILFE wrote: »
    Do you adjust the absorb voltage on your controller before leaving the system?

I haven't been, but probably could without issue.