Recommend a floor fan?

brewer
brewer Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭
My place is hot all night this time of year and I want to get a couple floor fans. Looking for not much over 1/2 amp/hr. and the best cfm per watt. Anyone know of such fans? Thanks.

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Re: Recommend a floor fan?

We use Ryobi 18v fans . Last all night on one battery on low

Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

120 vac or 12 vdc?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • brewer

120V ac. I have 6 120w panels, Outback controller, 48V inverter, 12 12V AGM batteries, series. I should include this info in my signature, thanks.
  • BB.

Looks like Energy Star rates ceiling fans now:

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=most_efficient.me_ceiling_fans_under_52_inches

If you have a ceiling fan with lights--Make sure they can use LED (or possibly CFL) lamps that will look good in your application.

I had friends that had a ceiling fan in years past with 4x 75 watt filimant lamps... Like running a 300 Watt heater in their home office.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • brewer

Looking for floor fans that I move around.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brewer wrote: »
    120V ac. I have 6 120w panels, Outback controller, 48V inverter, 12 12V AGM batteries, series. I should include this info in my signature, thanks.

Size of battery bank, is more helpful than 12-12v... they might be 10 amp hour... so 48v 300 amp hour...

I thin most floor fans run higher than 60 watts (.5am x 120v=60 watts) I think some box fans run around that, I used more compact fans, 10" o2cool fans that run about 12 watts, [http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-NEW-Battery-Operated-Adapter/dp/B00ATSHJ1Q/ref=pd_sim_hg_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HH4ZEFRPVK5JCT02WDJ]available at amazon for @$20,[/URL] Before I decided I couldn't handle another summer without A/C that's all I used, still have the running to move the air around.

We've had some discussions about fans here, I think one person really likes a similar sized fan that used around 60watts, but had many more blades and reportedly moved more air. If you can't find the discussion I'll search for it.

For the record if you just need them at night to sleep, your under paneled for your battery bank and if you can swing enough panels for that size bank(assuming 100+amphour 12v batteries) you could run a window air some at night and during the day when the batteries are charged...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty happy with the "Endless Breeze" 12v-only fan made by the RV guys at Fan-Tastic Vent.

I just went through a 4 hour outage at about 92F at night, and the O2's and trucker-fans weren't cutting it, so I had to up my game the next day. Of course now that I did that, I won't suffer an outage for the next 5 years. :)

It has 3 speeds, at about 1.5A, 2A, and 3A. Pushes a LOT of air to my surprise. Pretty quiet, but not silent. Wouldn't be able to sleep with it on speed 2 up close. Costly and a little plastic-y, but I think it is worth it, especially during an outage since unlike the trucker fans which pumped out a lot of RF interference all the way from the AM broadcast band well into the FM broadcast band, making my outage entertainment a little more limited. The Endless Breeze was pretty silent on the radio. Seems like the motor is beefy enough to last a long time.
  • BB.

Endless Breeze 12 vdc fan on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/ss/customer-reviews/B0000AY2Z6

-Bill