Solar irradiance meters - anyone tried one?

PNjunction
PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
Has anyone tried the Amprobe Solar-100 meter, or the Dr.Meter SM206?

Both have W/m2 readouts, which is what I'm interested in, not BTU. I've got a feeling that the Amprobe would be more accurate, but really have no idea. I'm a backyard enthusiast, but still want to be as precise as possible without breaking the budget...

Comments

• drraptor
    drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
    Re: Solar irradiance meters - anyone tried one?

there is already a formula posted by Great BB somewhere in the forums to calculate W/m2 from Solar Panels output. 8)
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭

A small panel and an amp meter might even be more accurate for what you are interested in - due to spectral distribution and temperature effects.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is from Solar Pro magazine. I used the Apogee for a few weeks and it is nice. You really only need these if the buyer requires it. As others have said, it really can be done with a solar panel and ammeter. The best way to learn is to watch a dual axis tracker for a year.
    Irradiance meters. If you want to estimate real-time system performance with confidence or field-check a pyranometer in a data acquisition system, you need a handheld solar irradiance meter or pyranometer. In field applications, having laboratory-quality equipment is less crucial than having reasonably accurate, durable equipment that can stand up to local conditions.
    The most popular devices are Daystar’s DS-05 Solar Meter, Apogee Instruments’ MP-200 and Seaward’s Solar Survey 100. The Daystar DS-05 [about $160] is a compact and lightweight meter that can measure between 0 and 1,200 W/m2 with an accuracy of ±3%. The Apogee MP-200 [about $410] is a pyranometer sensor with a handheld meter that displays and stores measurements; it has a measurement repeatability of less than 1% and can be used as a calibrated standard to check monitoring system sensors against. The Solar Survey 100 from Seaward is an all-in-one device that includes an irradiance meter, an inclinometer, a compass and two channels for measuring temperature.
    "
    PNjunction wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Amprobe Solar-100 meter, or the Dr.Meter SM206?

Both have W/m2 readouts, which is what I'm interested in, not BTU. I've got a feeling that the Amprobe would be more accurate, but really have no idea. I'm a backyard enthusiast, but still want to be as precise as possible without breaking the budget...
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys I'll look into that some more!