Solax Power inverters questions

Options
Hello everybody,

I'm making a design of a grid-tied solar system and I found a good GT inverter produced by a manufacturer called Solax Power (www.solaxpower.com) with code
SL-TL5000T.

Is there anyone here has ever dealt with this manufacturer or that model of GT inverters??

waiting for your prompt reply :)

Thanks for you all

Mina

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solax Power inverters questions

Sorry, Solax doesn't show any UL listing so they are not allowed in the USA. You can get by with non listed equipment if you are off-grid, but to interconnect with a utility they are going to inspect you and they may not care about stuff like how well your system was installed, but they do check if the equipment is listed.
  • minabenyamin
    minabenyamin Solar Expert Posts: 45
    Options

thanks for your reply

what's UL listing?

also I'm not in USA, I'm from egypt and I think regulations are much different here than USA.

Thanks
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    solarix wrote: »
    Sorry, Solax doesn't show any UL listing so they are not allowed in the US

I believe it more correct to say that it needs to be certified to conform to the UL1741 standard. For example, "ETL listed (in compliance with UL1741 standards)".

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• minabenyamin
    Options

I sent you a private message, can you reply it pls
    thanks

:)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

UL is "Underwriters Laboratory"... It is the original organization started by insurance companies to come up with uniform safety standards for various "stuff" (electrical equipment, fire extinguishers, fire resistant wall/building materials, etc.).

They are now known as as NRTLs (nationally recognized testings laboratories). There are many... ETL, CSA, TUV, etc. (many countries have at least one "NRTL").

To a degree, these standards/testing organizations became part of the methods governments limited imports/spread money around (originally, you could not import to Japan electrical equipment unless you had their NTRL do the "testing").

In some ways, these NRTL "Listings" have become a way of judging quality. Although a Listing does not test/approve quality--In general, companies would not spend $50,000+ USD (plus yearly fees+factory inspections) if they were just trying to make "quick money".

The specification referenced above is used by many utilities to ensure that the GT inverters are "safe" when connected to their Grids. I.e., if the power fails, the GT inverter would not try to feed power back to the grid and kill a lineman or start a fire in a home next door.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • minabenyamin
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    The specification referenced above is used by many utilities to ensure that the GT inverters are "safe" when connected to their Grids. I.e., if the power fails, the GT inverter would not try to feed power back to the grid and kill a lineman or start a fire in a home next door.

may you explain this paragraph in details pls??

Thanks

Mina
  • BB.
    Options

The concern is sort of a carry over from the older Inverter and backup generator days...

Some of the older GT capable inverters would "synchronize" with the 50/60 Hz AC voltage wave form and feed back power to the utility--Just like if you had a motor+generator set (you can take a motor+generator and get the RPM+Phase exactly right, connect to the Grid, and then feed power to the grid and your local loads).

Because these were (are) voltage sources--They supply current to the loads/grid up to the capability of the inverter (or generator). If the AC utility power/grid failed, they could still feed energy back out to the loads/grid. And supply the neighbors with backup power, electrocute linemen working on a fallen power line etc.

So--"They" created a standard to make sure that these inverters could never feed energy back out to a "dead/failed" utility line. The inverters would "monitor" the frequency and voltage for 5 minutes--If they were within specifications, the GT inverter would "turn on" and feed power out. If the voltage or frequency fell out of range, they would turn off and wait for 5 minutes of "good utility power" before reconnecting.

Note I said that the older GT inverters and motor+generator sets were voltage sources... They actually would synchronize with the utility power and actually feed power if there was no utility power (grid failed).

Most modern GT inverters (at least less than 10 kWatt, I have no idea about >>10 kWatt GT inverter systems) are current sources--They output current by "following" the exact utility voltage/wave form--So, if the power fails, the GT inverter would see near zero volts, and output no current (as well as see that the AC wave form is no longer in specifications, and shut down within a few cycles anyway).

So--A GT inverter mfg. would hire UL/CSA/TUV/etc. or other NRTL to "List" their device as meeting the safety requirements (and the factory would be inspected by the NRTL around once per year to ensure that the factory was still using "legal" material and producing the same "Listed" product).

The end result--A GT inverter will never feed power to the grid (and local loads) unless there is "good utility power" available. And a GT inverter cannot do "backup" or "emergency" power (as always, there are exceptions--But this statement is "correct" as far as the power utility is concerned).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • minabenyamin
    Options
    So, if the power fails, the GT inverter would see near zero volts, and output no current (as well as see that the AC wave form is no longer in specifications, and shut down within a few cycles anyway).

That means GT system can't act as a backup system and once a mains power failure occurs, the solar system will stop pumping current too and the load will suffer a whole power failure ( mains + solar)

Actually, I thought in case of mains power failure the solar system will keep pumping energy which means that the load will be fed partially or with lower power ( power of the solar inverter only)!!

Good info Bill

Thanks
  • BB.
    Options

#1 missconception and disappointment with GT Solar--THE GT SYSTEM SHUTS DOWN IF THE AC MAINS FAIL. THERE IS NO BACKUP POWER CAPABILITIES.

-Bill

PS: As always there are exceptions (battery backed hybrid GT capable systems, SMA makes a smaller system that can supply ~1kWatt maximum to a local AC plug if the AC Mains fail and the sun is shining--But, in general, a pure GT Inverter + Solar Panel system shuts down when AC mains fail).

-BB
  • minabenyamin
    Options

sounds good!

I want you to explain how I can connect different strings to the input of the inverter.

Do strings must be identical ( same voltage, current, and wattage)?

Thanks

Mina
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    , SMA makes a smaller system that can supply ~1kWatt maximum to a local AC plug if the AC Mains fail and the sun is shining
    Closer to 1.5 and available with 3kW, 4kWand 5kW inverter models. Same 1.5kW limit for all of them.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • minabenyamin
    Options

http://egyptera.org/en/t3reefa.aspx

can someone read this page and tell me what's the difference between category 3 and 5 ?

Thanks
  • BB.
    Options

Regarding panels/array configuration... You have to first understand the input requirements for the GT Inverters.

Nominally, the "average/typical" GT inverter will use a Vmp-array in the range of ~200 to 400 VDC (standard test conditions--STC).

So, if you have, for example, panels with Vmp-stc of 30 volts, then you can put:

200 volts / 30 volts = 6.67 = 7 panels minimum
    400 volts / 30 volts = 13.3 = 13 volts maximum

And when you parallel strings, you will need to match Vmp-string to another string within 10% or better... If you have 10 panels in one string (300 VDC), then the other string Vmp-stc-array must be somewhere within 270-330 volts or closer.

In general, mixing/matching panels is not always possible... Sometimes the mixing/matching of Vmp and Imp is just not possible.

-Bill
  • minabenyamin
    Options

that's great Bill.

So when I connect 2 strings in parallel, I will use a junction box with 2 inputs and 1 output? or how I may connect them in reality ??

Thanks
  • BB.
    Options

Generally, for smaller GT inverters, there are two (or sometimes more) connection pairs... One for each Panel String.

In general, if you have one or two strings, you simply wire them in parallel--Either at the array or in the GT inverter.

If you have three or more parallel strings, then each string usually needs a fuse or circuit breaker per string (i.e., ~10-20 amp + series protection fuse--check the panel specification for exact value). When you have three or more strings, a shorted panel can be fed current from the other 2 or more parallel strings. The per string fuse/breaker is to prevent the shorted panel/wiring from catching fire by being feed current from the other parallel connected panels/strings.

For smaller GT inverters, you may usually need 1-3 or so strings of panels. Depends on the GT inverter input power requirements and the size of your panels. Say you can get Vmp~30 volt panels and they range from 180 to 250 Watts:

i.e., 10 panels * 180 Watts panels = 1,800 Watt string
    or, 13 panels * 250 Watt panels = 3,250 Watt string

It all depends (the first couple of times you go through the array configuration process--It is confusing).

-Bill
  • inetdog
    Options

And just to add some detail to post #6, each country (or group of countries like the EU) has its own set of standards for electrical safety.
    Any NRTL accepted by a country can do the actual testing, but the standards to which the testing is conducted have to be those of the target country.

You can get electronics tested by UL to Canadian standards for example, or tested by CSA to US standards or tested by either one to both standards. The details of the listing mark will tell you what standard or set of standards was used.
  • minabenyamin
    Options

Suppose that I've an inverter with 2 inputs A & B. say that I've 4 strings each of 8 Amps, I can use a small sub distribution board with 4 MCB's each of 10 Amps. Then, I will take the output of 2 MCB's and connect them to input A and the output of the other 2 MCB's will be connected to the input B.

Is that correct?
  • BB.
    Options

Maybe... In general, each GT inverter must have its own solar array. You cannot connect one solar array to two different GT inverters--Each inverter assumes it has 100% ownership of its array, and does its MPPT (maximum power point tracking) assuming that. If you have two inverters sharing the array--They will probably confuse the Vmp*Imp=Pmp calculations.

If you have, for example, 2 strings to connect to inverter A and two strings connected to Inverter B--You would not need any over current protective devices (on the solar panel input)--Because only two strings connect to Inverter A and the other two connect to Inverter B. They are electrically isolated.

If you have 4 strings connected to a "combiner box" (a breaker panel with 4 circuit breakers tied to a single bus), and then connected that to 2 GT Inverters' solar panel inputs'--That would be wrong. You do not combine the single array to drive two different GT inverters. It will not work correctly--And possibly may fault the inverters (ground fault detection--another issue).

Remember installing fuses/breakers/disconnect switches on solar panel side is a mix of good engineering practices (to prevent excessive fault current from causing a fire) and sometimes the political/less clear requirements (fire departments and utilities that may want a DC disconnect to stop current flow and "turn off the inverter" if the AC mains fail--even though the GT inverter will turn off anyway if there is no AC mains voltage).

-Bill
  • minabenyamin
    Options

I didn't say that I've 2 inverters!

my example is one inverter with 1 DC inputs and 2 strings ( the strings will meet the requirements of max input DC current, max input DC voltage, max input DC power, MPPT range, min input DC voltage, and other needed requirements). So, I will connect the two strings with just a combiner box ( 2 inputs and 1 output) and connect the inputs to the solar panel and the output to the inverter DC input). is that correct??

Thanks

Mina
  • BB.
    Options

You would not need any combiner box--Just run the two pairs of wire back to the input of the GT inverter--Most will have at least two positions to directly attach the two pairs of wires.

You could also use a junction box (or weather proof j-box if outside) and use wire nuts (or crimp rings, etc., whatever if legal/standard in your country for attaching three AC wires together--two in, one out). Just like any other standard AC wire connections you would make in your shop.

If you had three or more parallel connections, you would use a combiner box (basically just a sub panel wired up "backwards")--The three or more strings would each go to a breaker, then the combined output bus bars would use a single pair of cables back to the AC inverter.

http://www.solar-electric.com/misomnsoarco.html

For example (if positive ground array), each red wire would go to a breaker input... And each black wire would go to the insulated bus bar. The output wiring positive bus bar would go to the inverter and the black bus bar would wire would go to the inverter.

Otherwise just normal AC wiring practices... Nothing special (other than using UV/outdoor sun rated insulation if wire is exposed to sun--Generally, you would also use higher rated temperature insulation for roof/exterior cable runs (and in metal conduit).

-Bill
  • inetdog
    Options
    For example (if positive ground array), each red wire would go to a breaker input... And each black wire would go to the insulated bus bar. The output wiring positive bus bar would go to the inverter and the black bus bar would wire would go to the inverter.

Otherwise just normal AC wiring practices... Nothing special (other than using UV/outdoor sun rated insulation if wire is exposed to sun--Generally, you would also use higher rated temperature insulation for roof/exterior cable runs (and in metal conduit).

-Bill
    But make 100% sure that the breakers you use, unlike those found in normal AC subpanels, are also rated for DC at the voltage and current you need.
    The MidniteSolar breakers referred to in the panel link above but not included in the price, are specifically designed for DC.